4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WarpSpeed Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 08:09 PM

WarpSpeed Y-Pipe

After two months, I finally recieved it in the mail, and here's what I found... (This is an email that I sent Dallas, and his reply)

I'm very disappointed in the first section of the 'B' pipe.

I ordered the pipe with the 'longer' resonator..... but what was included in place of a resonator were two 12" louvered glasspacks. Those things have HUGE louvers. Resonators do NOT have louvers, they just have small holes.

This piece would flow WORSE than the factory piece... pinches and all. It is by NO means a flow improvement. I know you are pushed to try and get the orders out, but I cannot accept this piece.

What I need from you is one of the following...

1. A refund for this section of the 'B' pipe

or

2. A replacement consisting of a 'real' longer length 24" resonator in a timely manner.

If you cannot get a replacement in a timely manner, I'll need the refund. I've been waiting two months already, and this is NOT what I was expecting. If you decide on the refund route, I'll just have to go to the local muffler shop and have them weld in a real resonator and re-do the piece I've already got.

The 'Y' pipe doesn't really seem to contain that high quality mandrel bends. The curves of the pipe crush down from 2.0" to 1-7/8". They seem to be 'pseudo' mandrel bends. Plus, for flow, the piece on the end of the 'Y' pipe 'should' be a curved part instead of a straight piece welded onto the flex section at an angle.

I paid $225 for your pipe for your quality, rather than $158 for the Budget part. I'll settle for the existing 'Y' pipe, but the front section of the 'B' pipe is just totally unacceptable.

I'm not a 'newbie' punk kid. I'm 34 years old and have been playing with cars since I was a teenager. I've got a shop with a welder, air, shop press, drill press, chop saw, band saw, etc. and have a 66 mustang street car that runs 10.63 @ 129.3 on the bottle. I hold high standards for myself, and anyone else I do business with.

I'm not one to jump the gun and go bad-mouthing. I like to try and resolve problems in a mature manner. Please let me know what you want to do about this.

Thanks,

If you don't want the Y pipe and B pipe simply return it via the instructions on our website.

You may not be aware that there are several different styles of resonators, we use the baffle style because they actually work, unlike the perforated style which are flat with holes and a just a basic empty cylinder. We use a dual resonator for those people who want a quite exhaust. Your local muffler shop will have a resonator of the same style. I think louvers are what are put on the back window of some cars.

regards
Dallas

I don't recommend doing business with them...

Hope you guys have better luck with WSP than I did.

Mike Burch
Old 10-22-2002, 02:44 PM

Re: WarpSpeed Y-Pipe

I just installed the 'Y' pipe, and it fit just fine. The car has stock intake ducting and a stock cat-back.

The car isn't really any louder than it was before, but it does seem to pull a little harder at the top of the rev range. There are also no 'strange' noises. (bees in a can)

The two nuts holding the Y-pipe to the converter were the largest obstacles. They did NOT want to come off. One nut rounded off, but luckily it was the lower one, and was easily reached with a set of Vice-Grips that did the job. I thought the other nut would round off or the stud would break, but it came off eventually. (I need a set of torches) Everything else went pretty easily. The manifold bolts and oxygen sensors came off easily.

I'll get the front section of the B-pipe fixed and get it on... and tend to the intake ducting shortly.

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: WarpSpeed Y-Pipe

Originally posted by n2oMike
I just installed the 'Y' pipe, and it fit just fine. The car has stock intake ducting and a stock cat-back.

The car isn't really any louder than it was before, but it does seem to pull a little harder at the top of the rev range. There are also no 'strange' noises. (bees in a can)

The two nuts holding the Y-pipe to the converter were the largest obstacles. They did NOT want to come off. One nut rounded off, but luckily it was the lower one, and was easily reached with a set of Vice-Grips that did the job. I thought the other nut would round off or the stud would break, but it came off eventually. (I need a set of torches) Everything else went pretty easily. The manifold bolts and oxygen sensors came off easily.

I'll get the front section of the B-pipe fixed and get it on... and tend to the intake ducting shortly.

Good Luck!
So are you basically happy with the y-pipe?
Old 10-22-2002, 09:16 PM
Sin

WOW! That is shockingly poor customer service. He made no attempt what so ever to solve the situation. And, telling a custom to go to the site to find the return information is just horrible. Imagine walking into a retail store to ask about return procedures, only to be told to read a sign instead of being told the procedure.

I have been reading poor customer service reports about Warpspeed for months now, but always gave him the benefit of the doubt. But after this thread, honestly, that's ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 AM

I have had nothing but GOOD experiences with Warpspeed....they are in the process of sending me a replacment y-pipe right now WITHOUT me having to send them my original back first. (My car has a problem with y-pipe flex sections, it's already broken 3 of them)

I don't find it hard to believe that Dallas would be that curt with you in relation to an inquiry and DEMAND about their products.

You basically said to him "hey a-hole...I don't like what you sent me, and I think you took me for an idiot, so I want my money back...oh and by the way...I'm going to keep the part even if you do give me my money."

I wouldn't be nice you to either.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:00 AM

I know that this thread is about Warpspeed (with whom I've never dealt with), but I just wanted to mention that I just ordered a Budget Y and the customer service and response time is great. They suggested correspondence via e-mail and I received a reply in 15 min. I can't speak for the quality yet since I don't have it, but you can't go wrong with mandrel SS pipe for only $160. Gee I hope it fits.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:11 AM

There are going to be many post for and against Warpspeed, Budget, Cattman....yada, yada, yada. My experience with Warpspeed has been excellent. When I was shopping for my y-pipe, Dallas spent 30 minutes on the phone discussing theories and such with me. The quality was excellent and I had no fitment problems as such.
I'm surprised at your experience and perhaps they are going through growing pains, maybe a phone call to them from you is in order to try to resolve the problem. The baffling matter is a opinion as far as which is really better. As I am sure you have much experience, so do they. My advise, give them a call.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by n2oMike
I'm not a 'newbie' punk kid. I'm 34 years old and have been playing with cars since I was a teenager. I've got a shop with a welder, air, shop press, drill press, chop saw, band saw, etc. and have a 66 mustang street car that runs 10.63 @ 129.3 on the bottle. I hold high standards for myself, and anyone else I do business with.

And the best line of that post was this one. Contradiction maybe?

I'm not one to jump the gun and go bad-mouthing. I like to try and resolve problems in a mature manner. Please let me know what you want to do about this.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:27 AM

I tried to resolve things THROUGH warpspeed first. I did not immedietly go and start badmouthing the company... even though I spent TWO FULL MONTHS getting strung along with them saying it was going to ship out any time now. (and yes, mine is just the aluminized model, not stainless steel)

I did NOT post about the poor quality of the front B-pipe section before trying to resolve things with Dallas first.

After not being satisfied with their reply, I simply cut and pasted both messages in their entirety, and let the words speak for themselves.

After I installed the part the next day, I gave an honest review of the install and driving impressions.

I hope the rest of you have better luck than I did.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:25 AM

I just bought a y pipe from budget and am very happy. Ordered last thurs, came in yesterday (tue) Installed tuesday night in 1.5 hours with no fitment probs. Great bang for buck. Never dealt w/wpspd.

my 2c.

P.S. I thought the wspd response was very diplomatic.

-Mike

Originally posted by Axra
I know that this thread is about Warpspeed (with whom I've never dealt with), but I just wanted to mention that I just ordered a Budget Y and the customer service and response time is great. They suggested correspondence via e-mail and I received a reply in 15 min. I can't speak for the quality yet since I don't have it, but you can't go wrong with mandrel SS pipe for only $160. Gee I hope it fits.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the more and more i read on here the harder it is to decide who to get a wipe pipe from. you hear such good and such bad things about budget and warpspeed that you dont know what your gunna get. basically my conclusion is i should just flip a coin on which one to buy and hope for the best
Old 10-23-2002, 10:14 AM

Well so far my experience has been great with them. Basicly so far I have bought from them
1. Y pipe
2. Test Pipe
3. B pipe Fix
4. Had them match a 2k2 muffler to fit my 4th gen for me

And also when I call and give them my name they remember me and are always like "Hi how have you been", "How do you like the last thing you ordered" etc. And when I was looking at getting a Ypipe Dallas took about 30 minutes out of his time to talk to me about the way it works what to expect etc. There isa reason I went back another three times.

SuDZ
Old 10-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it looks like you didn't do your research before you ordered their product. Maybe if you looked at pictures before you ordered it, you wouldn't have ordered it then yelled about the fact that what they advertised wasn't what you wanted.

How else was Dallas supposed to deal with you???!

I've had no problems with their service. FOr parts they don't have in stock, it may take a while; they are a tiny business, so speed is not going to be something like a distributor of pre-made things like tirerack.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Out of curiosity is the warpspeed y-pipe supposed to be better than the budget, or is it simply a matter of opinion?

My next purchase will be a y-pipe and hopefully soon.

It seems as if Warpspeed fell into a rut with you but overall seem to have a good rep.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by n2oMike

I'm very disappointed in the first section of the 'B' pipe.

I ordered the pipe with the 'longer' resonator..... but what was included in place of a resonator were two 12" louvered glasspacks. Those things have HUGE louvers. Resonators do NOT have louvers, they just have small holes.

This piece would flow WORSE than the factory piece...

Mike

I think louvers are what are put on the back window of some cars.

regards
Dallas

Well, here's a bit of information from one of the largest suppliers of exhaust systems in the world... about glasspacks.

http://www.imcoweb.com/products/glas...glasspacks.htm

I guess they are called louvers, hmmm...

What are being sold as resonators are indeed cheap 12" louvered glasspacks. When I oredered a b-pipe w/resonator I expected to see a full 2-1/4" inside diameter with perforations, not a 60's era glasspack that flows like crap. I got rid of the original b-pipe for flow reasons. I didn't spend $70 to go backwards.

I ordered the extra long 24" unit because I know perforated resonators are not all that efficient at reducing noise. What I did NOT want were two 12" glasspacks welded end to end.

Now, after waiting two months and spending $400, I'll have to go to the local muffler shop and purchase a resonator, then take it home and hack' the existing b-pipe apart to weld in the more freely flowing unit before the rest of the install can take place.

I wish I would have been notified that they were going to 'improvise' my exhaust system. They didn't even call or email to let me know the stuff had been shipped, like they said they would all those times I called. I just came home one day, and it was on the porch.

I know some people will believe what they want, and they have a right to. Flame me all you want, but all I've done is present my experiences good and bad after getting a smarta$$ response from Dallas. I have not gone on a badmouthing rampage and resorted to name calling. If that deserves flaming.... so be it.

The first time I called (two months ago) I inquired about resonators. They said they had different lengths. I asked about what they looked like inside, and they said they were smooth. At that time I told them I wanted the longest one. They said 'no problem'. What I recieved two months later was NOT what I asked for. I do not like spending $400 for something for the WRONG item, only to have to spend money for replacement parts and hack' it apart for repairs.

I hope you all have better luck with your transactions than I did.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 11-07-2002, 07:31 PM

I also had great experience with WSP; (they can be a bit slow though)Dallas spent all day talking to me on the phone - genuinely interested. Not surprised by his response though - I think he very proud of his products, and your response paints you as an unreasonable person; sorry about your bad experience.