4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to flush power steering system

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 08:52 AM

how to flush power steering system

sup peeps, i was curious if anyone here had any good writeups or instructions on how to flush out the power steering system. nissan wanted 90 bucks and i told them hell no.

also i want to use some amsoil synthetic fluid in there, does anyone know if they sell it???

thanks
Cris
Old 10-25-2002, 09:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: how to flush power steering system

Originally posted by s2cmpugh
sup peeps, i was curious if anyone here had any good writeups or instructions on how to flush out the power steering system. nissan wanted 90 bucks and i told them hell no.

also i want to use some amsoil synthetic fluid in there, does anyone know if they sell it???

thanks
Cris
AMSOIL ATF meets Nissan Spec for Power Steering Units. Bought a new battery water syringe from Advance Auto. Used it to suck fluid out of Power Steering Resevoir then refilled with AMSOIL ATF. Over a period of a month I did this 6 times. That was 4 months ago. I am now running AMSOIL Synthetic oils in my engine (0W-30), Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Unit. At idle in drive the car is super quiet!
Old 10-25-2002, 11:01 AM

well i cant afford amsoil yet, but i did get some valvoline supersyn power steering fluid, like 4 bucks a quart so i think its good.

is this stuff ok to use????

thanks
Old 10-25-2002, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: how to flush power steering system

Originally posted by karguy

AMSOIL ATF meets Nissan Spec for Power Steering Units. Bought a new battery water syringe from Advance Auto. Used it to suck fluid out of Power Steering Resevoir then refilled with AMSOIL ATF. Over a period of a month I did this 6 times. That was 4 months ago. I am now running AMSOIL Synthetic oils in my engine (0W-30), Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Unit. At idle in drive the car is super quiet!
what you did is pretty much what i did on both my infiniti's. just used a pump to get out what i could from the resivoir then refilled. did multiple times and refilled with Valvoline ATF Synpower.
I always do the color test.
Put a drop of new ATF fluid on paper towel, then put a drop of old fluid on towel. I keep draining and refilling until they match. Should be a bright blood red.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: how to flush power steering system

Originally posted by mayhem_J30

what you did is pretty much what i did on both my infiniti's. just used a pump to get out what i could from the resivoir then refilled. did multiple times and refilled with Valvoline ATF Synpower.
I always do the color test.
Put a drop of new ATF fluid on paper towel, then put a drop of old fluid on towel. I keep draining and refilling until they match. Should be a bright blood red.
Actually I did it on 97 SE and 97 I30. I've been very impressed with Infiniti Service, free loaner and car washes, I'll probably get another Infiniti later on. Great car great service!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM

what about sucking out the resevoir, and then turning the car on briefly to get the rest out?

Or will that burn out the P.S. ... just me thinknig

I bet it would though.....

Also, what color should the fluid be? Bright red?
Old 10-25-2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by funnylittlman
what about sucking out the resevoir, and then turning the car on briefly to get the rest out?

read my post a couple up for color.

you do NOT want to empty the resevoir them run the car. just like brakes you can get air in the system and that's not good. it's easy to do by just emptying and refilling and trained monkey could do it. and there's no risk.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Color is bright red, same as ATF. I wouldn't try to pump the rest out. When I try things like that I do more damage than good!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:13 PM

How do the free carwashers work?

Originally posted by karguy

Actually I did it on 97 SE and 97 I30. I've been very impressed with Infiniti Service, free loaner and car washes, I'll probably get another Infiniti later on. Great car great service!
I'm curious how the car washers work, since i drive a '99 myself. I didn't buy it from my local infiniti does that matter? I heard it was a saturday morning only thing.