4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

helpl! I think my alternator's dead... Just replaced battery last week

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 11:31 AM

helpl! I think my alternator's dead... Just replaced battery last week

Hey, I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for...
I changed my battery about a week ago, got a brand new one with a warranty, checked the expiration date, etc. The battery checks out. Last night I went to start my car after it was sitting in my driveway for a few hours and no start! It doesn't make a noise at all when i turn the key. Is it the alternator? If not, what is it? And is there a website with instructions on how to replace whatever it is that's wrong?
Old 10-28-2002, 01:27 PM

Having this same problem! I just had re-filled my battery with acid or fluid yesterday morning. I then charged it up with a battery charger for about 3-4hours, and it then started up on the dime that same day. Today when i went to start the car, the battery was almost dead again. The car didnt move at all yesterday, how can the battery be dead!? So, I went to school parked it, 8hrs later it came time to leave. I turned the key Nada, just a slight, arr arrrrr, nothing. I had to bust out the self jumper kit, since I was afraid that would happen and I got it started.. While driving home, radio was skipping, speakers were turning off and on, clock was dimming, radio antenna took at least 20 seconds to go down. This is all while IM driving. Now, I get some and I have not a clue whats going on with this thing. Please tell me its not the alternator, it seems like its not getting charged while I drive, which makes no sense to me. My dad and I are going to try some tests on the alternator later on and see what the diagnosis tells us...
Old 10-28-2002, 01:35 PM

are you guys sure your starter is not on it's way out? You can do a test like your dad mentioned on the alt to see if it's putting out a charge or not. How many miles do you have on the car? Usually an alt will go first but a couple 10K miles later the starter will fail also. Remember it's not mileage specific but rather start specific. But you can almost go by miles if doing an average of the typical driver.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by mayhem_J30
are you guys sure your starter is not on it's way out? You can do a test like your dad mentioned on the alt to see if it's putting out a charge or not. How many miles do you have on the car? Usually an alt will go first but a couple 10K miles later the starter will fail also. Remember it's not mileage specific but rather start specific. But you can almost go by miles if doing an average of the typical driver.
  • Starter was just changed for a brand new one
  • The car has 160k miles on it
  • Never had to change the alternator, or had any problem like this before
  • I do at least 30-40miles a day in this car
  • I dont have a system
Old 10-28-2002, 02:31 PM

double check your connection at the battery, you might be shorting out on something. Also have the battery peak tested, if its cold out side you wont have the same crank power. wierd stuff happening while driving suggests to me there is a ground loose.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
double check your connection at the battery, you might be shorting out on something. Also have the battery peak tested, if its cold out side you wont have the same crank power. wierd stuff happening while driving suggests to me there is a ground loose.

I also agree with this suggestion. When the car is on, you should not be "low" on electrical power. Sounds to me like a loose negative battery cable.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Go to Sears, Firestone or your local garage. Have your electrical system load tested. It should show if the batter or alternator is weak.

But checking to see if the wires on the battery are tight and clean is a good idea as it's free and easy
Old 10-28-2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I had to disconnect the negative terminal to charge the battery, I made sure that it was connected properly on reinstall. We shall check the battery peak when we check the alternator. Its not cold out in florida so that might not be a problem. What other ground would cause something like this?

Originally posted by Eric L.

I also agree with this suggestion. When the car is on, you should not be "low" on electrical power. Sounds to me like a loose negative battery cable.
There is serious low electrical power while driving. Interestingly enough before we had charged the battery and added the new acid fluid, I had just driven the car, turned it off and tried to turn it on and the battery was dead.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Go to Sears, Firestone or your local garage. Have your electrical system load tested. It should show if the batter or alternator is weak.

But checking to see if the wires on the battery are tight and clean is a good idea as it's free and easy
I shall try that, maybe I should wire brush it to make it nice and clean.

Thanks for the tips.. printing
Old 10-28-2002, 03:44 PM
CaLSoNiC

RECALL?

Just take your car to the dealer and get a new altenator for FREE! Yay!

Old 10-28-2002, 04:03 PM

Re: RECALL?

Originally posted by CaLSoNiC
Just take your car to the dealer and get a new altenator for FREE! Yay!
I have a 95 with 160k miles on it, I think warrantee is long gone.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:07 PM
CaLSoNiC

Re: Re: RECALL?

Originally posted by gtr_rider

I have a 95 with 160k miles on it, I think warrantee is long gone.
Bummer, just got a free altenator on my '97 because of a damn recall.
On some 1997 and 1998 Nissan Maxima vehicles, there is a possibility that the alternator may contain a damaged diode. This could eventually result in an electrical short which may cause a fire in the alternator that could spread to the engine compartment.
Didnt want that happening... damnit.

Old 10-28-2002, 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: RECALL?

Full price for me
Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This happened to me once and I thought it was the alternator but for some reason the tranny wasn't all the way in park.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by RapidMax
This happened to me once and I thought it was the alternator but for some reason the tranny wasn't all the way in park.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:19 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

try looking under the back side of the battery where the GND of the battery attaches to the chassis of the car.. it might be rusted out or acidy.

also there is 2 GND's near the front of the manifold that might need cleaning.. these are the 2 area's I can think of that nobody else pointed out.. also.. stupid question... did you refill the battery with the proper fuild.. distilled water... * I think *
Old 10-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by bags533
try looking under the back side of the battery where the GND of the battery attaches to the chassis of the car.. it might be rusted out or acidy.

also there is 2 GND's near the front of the manifold that might need cleaning.. these are the 2 area's I can think of that nobody else pointed out.. also.. stupid question... did you refill the battery with the proper fuild.. distilled water... * I think *
You know too much, care to snap some pic's for the big man
Old 10-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: RECALL?

me too! they mechanic said that these typically go out in 5 years, which is about how long mine has been on the street (98se). nice little gift from nissan.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:11 AM

All. The recall is for 97 / 98 max. I am bringing my 97 in friday to Nissan. If you already replaced the alternator (by someone other than Nisaan recall) bring a receipt and copy to Nissan and they may pay you the money. (at least for parts.) Can't hurt to make a big stink about it and get some cash for more mods huh? Peace: e3 - spamman
Old 11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 98 se. do i qualify for the recall too? i hope so....and what brand of aftermarket battery is best for our car?

thanks.

update: nevermind...didnt read far enough...got excited had to ask...
Old 11-04-2002, 02:08 PM

well, i forgot to update on the situation

i'll give a fair warning now.. this may seem a little ridiculous
I was in my car, thinking about what would put a drain on the battery to make it keep on dying after sitting still for a day.. turns out I left the power supply to my playstation on under my seat, so there's been a slow pull on the battery since.. i don't know when, but i know i haven't used that playstation lately, so it's been quite a long time. eventually, the battery got all it could handle. well, i turned off the power supply and haven't had a problem since... lousy switches. I guess when I'm turning fast something knocks into the power supply and the switch goes on by itself sometimes.... good luck w/ those alternators gents
Old 11-04-2002, 02:29 PM

You know too much, care to snap some pic's for the big man
Look in some of the Hyperground threads... there are some great pictures there that show the main ground points.

SuDZ
Old 11-04-2002, 03:06 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=233448&page=2

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~subecon/ardika/hyperground/

These are a few. There are a couple others as well but I couldn't find them.

SuDZ
Old 11-05-2002, 12:36 PM

Update: changed battery, car is back to normal. we did a alternator check and its powering the battery.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:14 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Update: changed battery, car is back to normal. we did a alternator check and its powering the battery.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by bags533

Old 11-05-2002, 02:42 PM

Was it your original battery?

SuDZ
Old 11-05-2002, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Was it your original battery?

SuDZ
second battery, this new one is the third.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:58 PM
What's next!?..

second battery, this new one is the third.
So something was wrong with the new second battery??

I experienced the same symptoms you had when I was in my old car a few years ago. Jump started car, drove a few miles, and lights would go dim while driving. Turned out to be the alternator.

Good luck with the 3rd battery.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by JPMax

So something was wrong with the new second battery??

I experienced the same symptoms you had when I was in my old car a few years ago. Jump started car, drove a few miles, and lights would go dim while driving. Turned out to be the alternator.

Good luck with the 3rd battery.
Yea, the second battery had about 5 years on it, so I guess it was done for.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hate to say it, but, it sounds like it's the alternator. Your alternator is what keeps the battery charged and if you're seeing lights dim as you drive then your battery is not holding a charge. Sorry.

Having this same problem! I just had re-filled my battery with acid or fluid yesterday morning. I then charged it up with a battery charger for about 3-4hours, and it then started up on the dime that same day. Today when i went to start the car, the battery was almost dead again. The car didnt move at all yesterday, how can the battery be dead!? So, I went to school parked it, 8hrs later it came time to leave. I turned the key Nada, just a slight, arr arrrrr, nothing. I had to bust out the self jumper kit, since I was afraid that would happen and I got it started.. While driving home, radio was skipping, speakers were turning off and on, clock was dimming, radio antenna took at least 20 seconds to go down. This is all while IM driving. Now, I get some and I have not a clue whats going on with this thing. Please tell me its not the alternator, it seems like its not getting charged while I drive, which makes no sense to me. My dad and I are going to try some tests on the alternator later on and see what the diagnosis tells us...
Old 11-08-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by scous
I hate to say it, but, it sounds like it's the alternator. Your alternator is what keeps the battery charged and if you're seeing lights dim as you drive then your battery is not holding a charge. Sorry.

I really do wish you would read the rest of the thread