4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Halloween Night cut short due to a problem with car =( READ!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 07:25 PM

Halloween Night cut short due to a problem with car =( READ!

OK well, on my way to a party, my car suddenly began to shake. I stopped at a stop sign to notice that my car was "stuttering" as if it was at very low RPMs, its like that feeling right before you stall the car. BUT, the RPM was normal. I pressed the gas, and it was hesitant, basically, its not smooth anymore. This came out of nowhere, one second the car is fine, thenext the car is jerking and stuttering and ****ING me off! I had to cut my night short cause I didnt know what the problem was nor did I want to be stranded far away from home. The car has that stuttering shake in all gears, more Drives and Reverse than Park and Nuetral, yet still noticeable. I have a feeling my intake has something to be invlolved in, its like a sensor is disconnected or soemthing. Im going to wake up bright and early tomorrow to check it out, if I cant find the problem, then its off to the mechanic I go. Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2002, 07:33 PM

Old 10-31-2002, 08:02 PM
henock

could it be a misfire? injectors or plugs would be the culprit if it were.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:03 PM

someone stuck some hard candy in the gas tank.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by infinitiblast
someone stuck some hard candy in the gas tank.
p00p, dam bastard neighbors

Could be spark plugs/coils, seems like the right answer, im going to change them tomorrow regardless, couldnt make things worse, i hope
Old 10-31-2002, 09:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

im no mechanic nor have no where near as much knowledge as most ORG ppl here do... but my $.02 is probably spark plug and MAF sensor... just do the normal routine. run a ECU check tomorrow morning and see what it comes up to be. You'll know what it is then. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all you hoses going to the intake manifold and especially the ones going your intake.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had a VERY similar experiance with my car a while back. the problem were the wires going into my MAF. it is that grey plug the plugs into the side of the black box that is connected to your intake. (i explained just incase noobs are in the form) well check those wires going into the grey plug, and make sure they are all tight. one of mine was very looseand it caused my car to do the same thing you are going through. well, i hope this helps. good luck ~ and if it makes you feel better my hollowen night sucked too! heh. o well.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:33 AM

Thanks

Thanks Guys, I'm going to try all your ideas, my first thought was that it had something to do with the intake, especially the MAF cause a while back one of the connectors was loose and i got the same reaction. It was very dark so when I popped my hood last night I couldnt see anything, so I wasnt sure what to do. By the way guys, I DID NOT GET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! And I know it works, well Im off to see whats wrong with my Max, thanks again guys.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:02 AM

I had a stuttering problem w/ my max 1 time. It felt like the car was hessitating, and sounded like it was sputtering, and not firing on all cylinders. I continued to drive it to see what was wrong, and once it heated up, no more problems. The car ran fine....... weird. I didn't get a CEL or anything.

Took it to the dealer, and they said that it could have been a coil pack, but everything is fine. One other possibility was a wire that runs to all the packs. The guy, "jerked" it to simulate the effect, and it didn't do anything. The wire is fine, though even though he "jerked" it. That conserned me.

It may be the wire connecting the coil packs, or the coils, or maybe some junk in the engine trying to work it's way out?? Just my .02c
Old 11-01-2002, 09:11 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

my car does this when i'm very low on gas..

it can have something to do with fuel, also routine maintenance things.. How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter, plugs and air filter?
Old 11-01-2002, 10:24 AM

UPDATE

Well, I bought myself some spark plugs, and began to start the process to change them, it was a little harder than most of you thought cause I dont have all teh required tools, but I made due and found some "ghetto" ways to go by, but still making sure Im doing everything right. I changed 5 of 6 spark plugs, 3 in the fron and 2 in the back, only because the middle one in the back was blocked by something. For those who have changed their spark plugs, ou all know that the coil packs each have the long tubular end connecting to the spark plug, well the end part of that disconnected from the coil pack leaving it stuck in the hole. I tried everything to try and get it out but I couldnt, I even thought about taking off my upper intake/manifold, but then didnt, cause Im used to American cars, so thsi Japanese engine is new to me. I was forced to leave that spark plug there, and now I will take it to a mechanic to do it. I reconnected everything and prayed for success. Car starts fine, idles fine, and runs fine. I tested it out by some long street by my house and punched it. Smooth and sounds healthy, if nto healthier than before. The car feels fine now, no stuttering at all. Im sure it will even perform better after I get the 6th plug in. When i took out the old ones, they were all "p00pish brown" looking, I told myself that if this isnt the problem, Im glad Im changing them anyways. I plan on changing the fuel filter too, and my oil was changeda couple of weeks ago so its ok there. What else should I do guysm BTW thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it, my Max feels better now
Old 11-01-2002, 11:26 AM

sorry to hear that man, i rented a car : ]
Old 11-01-2002, 07:56 PM

OMFG

Im headed to my girlfriends house, and half way there, I get this weird feeling. I turn down my music, stop teh car, then go. It starts again. The dam stuttering. Same as before, but not as much. Before, even when I was stopped, you would feel the car hesitating. Now its only when I press teh gas and go. Something is going on, I would punch the gas and the revs would slowly go up. Engine slowly getting louder, but car slowly going faster. Very nasty moment let me tell you. What could this be! You guys dont think ti could be that 1 spark plug eh? Help me out guys please =(
Old 11-01-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: OMFG

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
Im headed to my girlfriends house, and half way there, I get this weird feeling. I turn down my music, stop teh car, then go. It starts again. The dam stuttering. Same as before, but not as much. Before, even when I was stopped, you would feel the car hesitating. Now its only when I press teh gas and go. Something is going on, I would punch the gas and the revs would slowly go up. Engine slowly getting louder, but car slowly going faster. Very nasty moment let me tell you. What could this be! You guys dont think ti could be that 1 spark plug eh? Help me out guys please =(
Just ran an ecu test, got these 2 codes:
02 01 - Ignition Signal Circuit
03 04 - Knock Sensor

Some1 please tell me whats going on and what I have to do =(
Old 11-01-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: OMFG

Just ran an ecu test, got these 2 codes:
02 01 - Ignition Signal Circuit
03 04 - Knock Sensor

Some1 please tell me whats going on and what I have to do =(
Old 11-01-2002, 08:42 PM

Might have found it out..
Old 11-02-2002, 04:17 AM

After doing some researh, Ive come to some very disappointing news. Seems that the person who owned the car before me, treated his car horribly. Like i said, I took out the spark plugs, adn the old ones were nasty. I doubt that the fuel filter and air filter have been changed, Im going to change them today. Most importantly, the last owner put the wrong gasoline in the car, 89 fuel! Wait it gets worse, since I got it in March, my grandfather (who mostly takes my car and fills my tank for me), continues to put 89, hes very cheap. The times I do put in gas, I go 93, but its not alot. Also, my grandfather just bought BOSCH platinum +4, even after I otld him no BOSCH. Im very ****ed. I already contacted courtesy NISSAN and emailed them sayin I wanted the NGK plugs ASAP. I was reading around some threads in the forum and found an interesting view about my situation. Like i said I have 2 codes, 03 04 and 02 01 (KS and SIgnal Circuit). Keeping in mind that the CEL didnt go off cause the KS code is a "ghost code", theres a chance that i do not have to replace the KS? Its doing its job by telling the ECU that their is a knocking/pinging in the engine, and maybe I should focus on the other code? Anyways, I gotta wait a week before my dam tank goes empty again, and i can put some gas treatment and some good old 93 octane. Can any1 else give me some tips on what to do? Thanks, sorry for all the long threads.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:29 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

haunted car.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:35 AM

not too long ago, i got the SAME exact **** you experienced....im pulling out of the school parking lot, and BOOM, all of a sudden my car stuts spuddering and shaking to ****....i had installed my y pipe a weak earlier, and thought it mighta came lose or something, but it didnt....i got a CEL tho, and ran the codes and it was the same ignition circuit as you got, and cylinder 1 misfire (i think cylinder 1)....so anyways, i HAD to drive the car like 20 miles home from school.....so basically, my friend had some extra coil packs lying around, so i called him, he came over, and we seeked to find which coil pack was fudged....so we started the car, disconnected the connecters from each coil pack one at a time, and see what happened....

1) if the idle got worse/sound changed, that coil pack is fine
2) if the idle remained the same/no change in car sound or anything noticeable AT ALL, that coil pack/spark plug/connector is fudged....

we found a pack that wouldnt change when we disconneted the connector, so we shut the car off, put a new coil pack in, and it was fine and dandy

hope this helps

also, with the KS code, my guess its the actaul KS...i didnt get a KS code with my ignition code, and im pretty sure your KS code was in there before what happened....so, my .02 go to your KS is done as well
Old 11-02-2002, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan
not too long ago, i got the SAME exact **** you experienced....im pulling out of the school parking lot, and BOOM, all of a sudden my car stuts spuddering and shaking to ****....i had installed my y pipe a weak earlier, and thought it mighta came lose or something, but it didnt....i got a CEL tho, and ran the codes and it was the same ignition circuit as you got, and cylinder 1 misfire (i think cylinder 1)....so anyways, i HAD to drive the car like 20 miles home from school.....so basically, my friend had some extra coil packs lying around, so i called him, he came over, and we seeked to find which coil pack was fudged....so we started the car, disconnected the connecters from each coil pack one at a time, and see what happened....

1) if the idle got worse/sound changed, that coil pack is fine
2) if the idle remained the same/no change in car sound or anything noticeable AT ALL, that coil pack/spark plug/connector is fudged....

we found a pack that wouldnt change when we disconneted the connector, so we shut the car off, put a new coil pack in, and it was fine and dandy

hope this helps

also, with the KS code, my guess its the actaul KS...i didnt get a KS code with my ignition code, and im pretty sure your KS code was in there before what happened....so, my .02 go to your KS is done as well
Thanks for your input, yeah its obvious that one of my clinders is misfiring, but I dont knwo which one, I dont have any extra coil packs. =( I didnt get a code for which cylinder was bad. Just those 2 codes. I hear KS can be quite expensive. I hope my KS isnt messed up, it still works enought to tell my ECU that something is wrong.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:50 PM

like i said, remove the connecters from each coil pack one at a time with the car started, and look for a change of sound or idle of some sort...when the sound/idle does NOT change, that coil pack is fux0red.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:59 PM

like i said, remove the connecters from each coil pack one at a time with the car started, and look for a change of sound or idle of some sort...when the sound/idle does NOT change, that coil pack is fux0red.

I did that this afternoon, one by one, every one I disconnected, the idle/ engine performance got worse, you could tell. Which means that my coil packs are all fine. Which is good and bad. SO now whats the problem. Im guessing its the cheap and crappy gas that has contaminated my poor max. I just bought a bottle of octane booster to see if it would help. KS (Knock Sensor) is working fine, if not I wouldntget a code for it. Got to be the low octane that is causing the engine to ping badly.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:04 PM

I did that this afternoon, one by one, every one I disconnected, the idle/ engine performance got worse, you could tell. Which means that my coil packs are all fine. Which is good and bad. SO now whats the problem. Im guessing its the cheap and crappy gas that has contaminated my poor max. I just bought a bottle of octane booster to see if it would help. KS (Knock Sensor) is working fine, if not I wouldntget a code for it. Got to be the low octane that is causing the engine to ping badly.
pinging from low octane is a given. go drive it already waste that gas
Old 11-02-2002, 05:22 PM

Just went to drive around town with the g/f....so so sad. It feels a little little LITTLE better, but still crappy overall. No matter hwo I drive, it sucks. I punched it a few time, and no acceleration at all, the RPMs slowly rose, hesitating and pinging at the same time. So much power lost. I put an intake in today, so all I heard was that loud noise, but no pick up. Whether it be high RPMs or idle, is never at one point smooth. Could this be the KS only? Can the KS be the reason why Im misfiring? my v6 feels like a 2 cylinder...!
Old 11-02-2002, 05:57 PM

Just went to drive around town with the g/f....so so sad. It feels a little little LITTLE better, but still crappy overall. No matter hwo I drive, it sucks. I punched it a few time, and no acceleration at all, the RPMs slowly rose, hesitating and pinging at the same time. So much power lost. I put an intake in today, so all I heard was that loud noise, but no pick up. Whether it be high RPMs or idle, is never at one point smooth. Could this be the KS only? Can the KS be the reason why Im misfiring? my v6 feels like a 2 cylinder...!
Sorry to keep posting, but I was wondering, I didnt get a code for my o2 sensors, but should I change them anyways? Ive noticed lately that I have been smelling gas fumes around my car. Maybe that the air flow is poor and my car makes up for it by putting more gas? I dunno, Ive just been reading a lot of the threads on the org.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:00 PM

no thats just the extra gas getting clogged in your cat from 1 of the cylinders not firing, i.e. living the gas unburned.

doh
Old 11-02-2002, 08:06 PM

no thats just the extra gas getting clogged in your cat from 1 of the cylinders not firing, i.e. living the gas unburned.

doh
So then I ask again, what should i do? Right now Im waiting for the tank to go empty, i put some octane booster to kinda make it a lil easier on teh rngine. I changed the old, dirty stock filter and put an aftermarket cone intake on, I am going to go ot the deal to buy a fuel filter. WHat else? Gonna put 93 octane only and let no one else put gas in for me. Leave knock sensor or change it? Oh yeah, all coil packs are functioning corrctly after testing them each. *Sigh*
Old 11-03-2002, 08:41 PM

There is some hope, I drove to work and back, to my g/fs house and back, and around a couple of blocks. Car ran very well. Cant say perfect, maybe hesitate donce or twice, but only for a second or two. But for sure there was no severe knocking like before. Maybe its the ocatne booster i put in and finally mixed well and started to work. Also, could be the fact that my gas is slowly but surely leaving my tank, so the less low octane fuel with octane booster, teh better. Cant wait till its better to find some 93 ocatane fuel and change eh fuel filter. Also, I took out the nasty stock air filter and put an aftermarket cone filter, so I bet the air is somewhat cleaner. Gonna clean the throttle body tomorrow, see what taht does. Still waiting for courtesy-nissan to reply about my NGK plugs. After hearing all this, what you guys think now? oday was a good day for my Max.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A couple months back I cheaped out and bought the Bosch plugs. I didn't have problems as severe as yours but i definitely felt a rougher idle and I had trouble starting my car. Then i finally gave in and got the NGK Platinums and everythings been fine since then. Also, defective knock sensor won't make your car run as rough as you described. You would only notice slight weakness(especially noticable when pushing it) and worse gas mileage. I'd hold off on the KS till the end. But definitely change it sometime if it is defective.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:39 PM

Does my EGR valve have anything to do with my problem? I was reading a couple of threads like mine, and a wise man, DANIEL B. MARTIN, says that a couple of things can cause the problems that I have...:

Causes of pinging include:
- fuel AKI too low, and Knock Sensor not working
- ignition timing too far advanced
- lean mixture
- carbon deposits in combustion chambers
- EGR valve stuck closed
- EGR passages obstructed with soot
- EGR vacuum signal hose(s) split, broken, or disconnected
- engine running too hot

I know that my fuel AKI is too low cause it has that cheap gas in it. The timing has been changed by teh knock sensor because when it hears/feels any pinging, it automatically "retards" the timing. Lean mixture, I can understand that due to the crappy gas and all, if Im not lean, then Im too rich. What you guys think?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:35 AM

OK I have a question, I replaced my Knock Sensor, and it helped a lot, I took out the stock one just to see hwo it was, it was horrible, broken, and needed to be replaced, so I replaced it. Acceleration is SOOOOO much smoother, BUT, below 1000 rpms, my car still jerks. and at higher rpms it jerks a lil too. Could this be anythign with that last spark plug that I couldnt replace? I plan on changing it today, and the coil to since the plastic covering was broken. Does this sound like a sympton of a bad spark plug, let me know thanks.