4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need input - cv joints need to be replaced??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 12:59 AM

need input - cv joints need to be replaced??

I have recently noticed a clicking noise when I turn right at slow speeds. I have searched extensively and found that the problem is most likely the cv joint/boot. However, my question is, can I get away with just changing the boots and not both half axles? This is what I was initally planning to do, however, I read a post by daniel martin saying that for higher mileage cars (my max=102k), it would be better to replace both axles, rather than just the boots.
is it common that if the boot rips and is replaced but the cv joint is not contaminated, that it would fail in the long run?

thanks in advance
Old 11-02-2002, 02:12 AM

Re: need input - cv joints need to be replaced??

Originally posted by kj043
I have recently noticed a clicking noise when I turn right at slow speeds. I have searched extensively and found that the problem is most likely the cv joint/boot. However, my question is, can I get away with just changing the boots and not both half axles? This is what I was initally planning to do, however, I read a post by daniel martin saying that for higher mileage cars (my max=102k), it would be better to replace both axles, rather than just the boots.
is it common that if the boot rips and is replaced but the cv joint is not contaminated, that it would fail in the long run?

thanks in advance
Are your boots ripped? They probably are. If your hearing clicking sounds when turning then you're probably going to have to do the boots and axles. You could just put new boots on, but they would tear in no time and you would just have to do the work over again. Check with http://www.raxles.com for some replacement axles. I would also replace all boots even if they aren't ripped yet, because they are surely weak by now. You should have an inner and outer boot on each side to replace.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:07 AM

To have a shop do it, replacing a boot is $45 for the part about $60 of labor. Total $105. 3 months down the road when the other boot on that axle wears out, you're looking at another $105. If you replace the axle with one from Raxles, your total cost for each side should be $180 and you get new joints as well.

I would find out which side clicks and replace that axle. In the long run, you're much better off doing this than just doing the boot.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:41 AM

I would go to http://www.motorvate.ca/ and check out the CV Fitness Checks Section
Old 11-02-2002, 08:03 AM

how long can i go for then?

alright, well i'm not very mechanically experienced, so do you think with chilton or haynes i could get through this? the thing is, i don't think ill have that much time to work on this until im back home in ny for thanksgiving break cause im in the middle of my semester up here in boston. is this something that could be potentially harmful if not taken care of immediately? i was thinking maybe id just take it to a shop, if i have to replace immediately or if the install is going to be too hard. any of you guys did this before? how hard would it be for someone like me? OR if i ordered the parts from raxles and took it to a shop, what can i expect as a labor charge?
Old 11-02-2002, 08:55 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: how long can i go for then?

if it's clicking, ur joint is already fried..... u need the half shaft....www.raxles.com.. somethin like that
Old 11-02-2002, 09:08 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

A Haynes manual will definitely be all you need (...and tools).

Changing an axle isn't nearly as difficult as you might think.

Go for it
Old 11-13-2002, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the clicking noise also, on the passenger side, when I turn left.

I had my car on the lift last week and looked at the boots on that side of the car, and they looked brand new. They were neither cracked nor slipped off.

I am driving 1500 miles to Phoenix next week and 1500 miles back for Thanksgiving.

Will it live? is that even really the problem? I read about the spring noise on motorvate.ca.....

could that be it? It's fairly faint, only when the car is just started up, and only when turning slowly left (like in a parking garage)

Thanks!
IanS
Old 11-13-2002, 06:26 PM

Well my boots have been torn since May.......so they can last as long as you are careful...you will damage the joint/axel this way though...I have NO boot left on the left side of my car...very bad...but I'm getting my axles new week so I'll be good then.....
Old 11-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

its uncommon for a cv to "wear out" with less than 120K, IF the boot is good...but it happens. Once the boot tears, its much more cost effective to replace the whole axle with a cheapo from autozone ($80 each) or Raxles.com.....depends on how much you value your car....the extra $20 for Raxles.com is worth it to me.

driving with a worn CV can cause (other than clicking/grinding noises) steering wheel shakes, but has to be really bad before it will catastrophicly fail and strand you butt somewhere....just don't abuse it....
Old 11-14-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by iansw
I have the clicking noise also, on the passenger side, when I turn left.

I had my car on the lift last week and looked at the boots on that side of the car, and they looked brand new. They were neither cracked nor slipped off.
Turn left noise, change right side. Turn right noise, change left side.

I had the exact same problem a month ago, just a little bit of clicking from the right when the car was cold while I was making left turns. When I looked the boot over, it was in great condition - not worn out or torn anywhere. I swapped my right axle anyways, and the noise went away. It's possible to have a bad CV even if the boot is not torn. Do the whole side at once, it only costs a little more but it's worth it.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by jbreit
its uncommon for a cv to "wear out" with less than 120K, IF the boot is good...but it happens. Once the boot tears, its much more cost effective to replace the whole axle with a cheapo from autozone ($80 each) or Raxles.com.....depends on how much you value your car....the extra $20 for Raxles.com is worth it to me.

driving with a worn CV can cause (other than clicking/grinding noises) steering wheel shakes, but has to be really bad before it will catastrophicly fail and strand you butt somewhere....just don't abuse it....

weird then, when i bought my car from a dealership last year, my driver's side boot was ripped and replaced by them free. a year later, my passenger side one is ripped and i only have 90k miles on it. so is my car uncommon? it's not ripped bad yet but i should have it replaced soon i guess.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Jepht20

weird then, when i bought my car from a dealership last year, my driver's side boot was ripped and replaced by them free. a year later, my passenger side one is ripped and i only have 90k miles on it. so is my car uncommon? it's not ripped bad yet but i should have it replaced soon i guess.
Torn BOOTS aren't uncommon at all. Having an actual JOINT itself fail that early isn't normal, unless of course the boot is torn and you've been driving like that for a while or you really beat the hell out of the drivetrain.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:20 PM

My car just hit 70,000 miles, and I seem to have a bad joint.

Would the fact that I'm lowered cause this?

If so, then they are going to be able to say that when I take it in and void my warranty.

IanS
Old 11-14-2002, 03:23 PM

My car just hit 70,000 miles, and I seem to have a bad joint.

Would the fact that I'm lowered cause this?

IanS
It's probably more the supercharger you have
Old 11-14-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

It's probably more the supercharger you have
Either way - looks like I'm going to have to fix this myself.

IanS
Old 11-14-2002, 03:51 PM

Mine will be here Tuesday...I'll let you guys know how the install goes....
Old 11-14-2002, 04:42 PM

Either way - looks like I'm going to have to fix this myself.

IanS
You could at least try and see what they say. You never know, they might just do it for you. If not, it's relatively easy to pop another axle in there.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:07 AM

a lowered car might have something to do with it. Suspension design guidelines for CV joints is like a minimum of 5 degree angles with teh suspension at its normal ride height...this makes the rollers in the joint work back and forth....hence spreading the "wear" out. if your car is lowered so much that the axles are straight across, all the "wear" would be happening in the center.

but it could be the supercharger too.....

torn boots don't necessarily have to do with miles, more environment (rocks, road salt, sand etc..) and age (drying out) and how much time they spend at high steering angles (turning in a parking lot for example).

My 95 had a hummmm that turned out to be the passenger side support bearing....which comes with Raxles passenger half shaft assembly.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:41 AM

a lowered car might have something to do with it. Suspension design guidelines for CV joints is like a minimum of 5 degree angles with teh suspension at its normal ride height...this makes the rollers in the joint work back and forth....hence spreading the "wear" out. if your car is lowered so much that the axles are straight across, all the "wear" would be happening in the center.

but it could be the supercharger too.....

torn boots don't necessarily have to do with miles, more environment (rocks, road salt, sand etc..) and age (drying out) and how much time they spend at high steering angles (turning in a parking lot for example).

My 95 had a hummmm that turned out to be the passenger side support bearing....which comes with Raxles passenger half shaft assembly.
That's the thing, tho....It sounds like I have a bad CV Boot, but my Boots look like they just came off the assembly line.

No cracks or tears anywhere.

IanS
Old 11-15-2002, 07:51 AM
Langley AFB Sux

I paid 470 for 2 new halfshafts, boots, grease, etc and labor.
Oh and they put my ypipe of for free at the same time.

Aaron
Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 AM

It could possibly be your front strut bearing...
Old 12-11-2002, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
I paid 470 for 2 new halfshafts, boots, grease, etc and labor.
Oh and they put my ypipe of for free at the same time.

Aaron
Hi, I'm new to the forum! I have a 96 Maxima GLE. My boots have been completely ripped for at least 4-5 months now. And this morning for the first time I heard like a grinding sound at slow speeds while turning left out of my apartment complex parking lot. The right shaft doesnt seem to be grinding. But my steering wheeling has been shaking for about 1 month now. I am going to replace both front axles when I have the money but I need to know how much longer you all think I have (or can wait), my car has 99,900 miles on it. Also, I'm always complaining to my husband about how crazy he drives, so could crazy driving (turning at high speeds, quick movements, hard braking, etc) have prematurely damaged the axles and boots and worn out the brakes (had front pads replced at 67,00mi)

(Also is it true that on a Maxima you have to replace front and rear pads together?)

Thank you, and excuse my newbness.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:49 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Silviagirl79

Hi, I'm new to the forum! I have a 96 Maxima GLE. My boots have been completely ripped for at least 4-5 months now. And this morning for the first time I heard like a grinding sound at slow speeds while turning left out of my apartment complex parking lot. The right shaft doesnt seem to be grinding. But my steering wheeling has been shaking for about 1 month now. I am going to replace both front axles when I have the money but I need to know how much longer you all think I have (or can wait), my car has 99,900 miles on it. Also, I'm always complaining to my husband about how crazy he drives, so could crazy driving (turning at high speeds, quick movements, hard braking, etc) have prematurely damaged the axles and boots and worn out the brakes (had front pads replced at 67,00mi)

(Also is it true that on a Maxima you have to replace front and rear pads together?)

Thank you, and excuse my newbness.
Well you should get them replaced as soon as possible, but I think most of us understand that its not easy coming up with that kind of money on the spot. Search around for new or rebuilt axles. I know Raxles.com has some.....I think when I priced mine they quoted around 300 or so. I ended up having a place here take care of them.
$470 is what I paid for everything including labor. Some places may be even cheaper.

Anytime you drive the car hard it adds more wear and tear. Chances are if the boots were not ripped apart you would be fine. With just the outer CV joints bad you could probably drive it as long as you dont beat on it turning and stuff. If they click when you are going straight accelerating then your inner CV joints are bad too.

It would be wise to replace both half-shafts and not just the bad boots or cv joints. I did just the outers on my GTI once and 2 months later the inner joints shelled out.

Your shaky steering is probably the alignment. Also you should inspect/replace brake pads or shoes every 30K or so. None of us do that either Stock nissan pads suk for spirited driving tho.

Get EBC greens, porterfield or hawk pads........longer life and less dust.

And most important, Welcome to the .Org!!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Well you should get them replaced as soon as possible, but I think most of us understand that its not easy coming up with that kind of money on the spot. Search around for new or rebuilt axles. I know Raxles.com has some.....I think when I priced mine they quoted around 300 or so. I ended up having a place here take care of them.
$470 is what I paid for everything including labor. Some places may be even cheaper.

Anytime you drive the car hard it adds more wear and tear. Chances are if the boots were not ripped apart you would be fine. With just the outer CV joints bad you could probably drive it as long as you dont beat on it turning and stuff. If they click when you are going straight accelerating then your inner CV joints are bad too.

It would be wise to replace both half-shafts and not just the bad boots or cv joints. I did just the outers on my GTI once and 2 months later the inner joints shelled out.

Your shaky steering is probably the alignment. Also you should inspect/replace brake pads or shoes every 30K or so. None of us do that either Stock nissan pads suk for spirited driving tho.

Get EBC greens, porterfield or hawk pads........longer life and less dust.

And most important, Welcome to the .Org!!
[/QUOT

Thank you for the warm welcome and prompt response
Old 12-11-2002, 06:37 AM

a worn CV joint CAN cause a steering wheel shake....if you can grab the axle shaft and wiggle it around in the outer CV joint, that is the cause of your steering wheel shake....i've diagnosed this on half a dozen cars, and is the case on my car currently

4-5 months of a torn boot....yep, they're gone....replace the whole axle with a rebuilt.....local auto zone or advance auto parts will be around $80 a side....Raxles.com is about $180 for the pair and is a good unit from what I have heard here on the forum (i will be finding out soon myself). i would expect labor to be a couple to three hours tops. i wouldn't procrastiate any longer than you have too...eventually the cage in the CV will shatter or a ball bearing will fall out....and worse, you may not get your core charge back for them if they are not rebuildable...which will double the cost of your parts.

cv boot tears are in general caused by old age (the boot dries out and cracks) or by abrasion (rocks and grit getting pinch iin the folds). driving style can have some impact on them...by my car has 101K and was pampered by its previous owner and needs the passenger side half shaft replaced.

front and rear brakes can be done independantly. 67,000 on a set of front brakes is pretty typical for the maxima...perhaps on the low end though....i think I heard one lister had 100K out of fronts, but like 40 or 50K out of the rears. OEM pads are not worth the money, there are better choices out there...raybestos, hawk...etc.

welcome aboard....doesn't be scared to ask questions.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:38 AM

a worn CV joint CAN cause a steering wheel shake....if you can grab the axle shaft and wiggle it around in the outer CV joint, that is the cause of your steering wheel shake....i've diagnosed this on half a dozen cars, and is the case on my car currently

4-5 months of a torn boot....yep, they're gone....replace the whole axle with a rebuilt.....local auto zone or advance auto parts will be around $80 a side....Raxles.com is about $180 for the pair and is a good unit from what I have heard here on the forum (i will be finding out soon myself). i would expect labor to be a couple to three hours tops. i wouldn't procrastiate any longer than you have too...eventually the cage in the CV will shatter or a ball bearing will fall out....and worse, you may not get your core charge back for them if they are not rebuildable...which will double the cost of your parts.

cv boot tears are in general caused by old age (the boot dries out and cracks) or by abrasion (rocks and grit getting pinch iin the folds). driving style can have some impact on them...by my car has 101K and was pampered by its previous owner and needs the passenger side half shaft replaced.

front and rear brakes can be done independantly. 67,000 on a set of front brakes is pretty typical for the maxima...perhaps on the low end though....i think I heard one lister had 100K out of fronts, but like 40 or 50K out of the rears. OEM pads are not worth the money, there are better choices out there...raybestos, hawk...etc.

welcome aboard....don't be scared to ask questions.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:06 AM

Thanks again guys! I went to this website also: http://catalog.nissanpartswholesale.com Are they any good? They said 140.00 (with a 70.00 core charge) for the "axle assembly Front-Left". Does this mean I only buy one, or I have to buy two? Because the site doesnt have right and left options, just Axel Assembly front-left.

Also I noticed today, my front left brake pad is soo low that now there is a scraping sound against the rotar, and my front left rotar is scrachted this just started today. Will I have to get a new rotar now or can they just refinish it? I guess I should get those new brake pads ASAP, eh?
Old 12-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Thanks again guys! I went to this website also: http://catalog.nissanpartswholesale.com Are they any good? They said 140.00 (with a 70.00 core charge) for the "axle assembly Front-Left". Does this mean I only buy one, or I have to buy two? Because the site doesnt have right and left options, just Axel Assembly front-left.

Also I noticed today, my front left brake pad is soo low that now there is a scraping sound against the rotar, and my front left rotar is scrachted this just started today. Will I have to get a new rotar now or can they just refinish it? I guess I should get those new brake pads ASAP, eh?
Thats a real good place as well.

Yes you will need two, a RT side and LT side unless you only have a bad cv joint on one side of the car. If you can, I would replace both axles (halfshafts), It could save you additional labor charges and downtime if you replace one and then the other one goes out.
When you order or find them make sure your getting the whole axle w/both inner and outer cv joints.

Yes...you definately need new pads now. They should be able to turn the rotors for you. If you do need a new one, a fellow on here had blank rotor (not slotted or cross-drilled) for around 57$. I think his site is www.eatricezone.com Pads are anywhere from 50 to 90ish depending on brand....type....etc. OEM pads are good, dont get us wrong, but for the type of driving most of us do.....they don't last

Feel free to ask any questions you need too! Also up in the top right of the page you can use the search feature. It is quite helpful. I think most everything asked frequently is in there!

Tons of info from other members as well.

Take care and again Welcome to the .Org

www.maximadriver.com has a helpful "How To" section.
He explains how to change pads out. If you or your hubby feels adventurous it can save ya the labor charges.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Thats a real good place as well.

Yes you will need two, a RT side and LT side unless you only have a bad cv joint on one side of the car. If you can, I would replace both axles (halfshafts), It could save you additional labor charges and downtime if you replace one and then the other one goes out.
When you order or find them make sure your getting the whole axle w/both inner and outer cv joints.

Yes...you definately need new pads now. They should be able to turn the rotors for you. If you do need a new one, a fellow on here had blank rotor (not slotted or cross-drilled) for around 57$. I think his site is www.eatricezone.com Pads are anywhere from 50 to 90ish depending on brand....type....etc. OEM pads are good, dont get us wrong, but for the type of driving most of us do.....they don't last

Feel free to ask any questions you need too! Also up in the top right of the page you can use the search feature. It is quite helpful. I think most everything asked frequently is in there!

Tons of info from other members as well.

Take care and again Welcome to the .Org

www.maximadriver.com has a helpful "How To" section.
He explains how to change pads out. If you or your hubby feels adventurous it can save ya the labor charges.

Thank you again so much, I heard semi-metallic is not very good. Either is ceramic. I think I will get Organic pads.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:08 AM

Update:

I went to the dealership, as I am under warranty, to have them look at it.

None of my CV Boots were torn, but it definately is a bad CV Boot. They blamed it on the car being lowered, and wouldn't cover it under warranty. I don't really et this thinking (If it's not torn, how can you say I broke it?)

I asked them for a quote for the Joint - get this: $650 just in parts for ONE side!!!! And that's ONLY the joint, not the whole axle!

So I called mtrai760 (on this forum) - He's done it before and will help me out - ordered it from Raxles for $185 shipped, we'll put it in next weekend.

IanS
Old 12-11-2002, 10:15 AM

I have a billion miles on my 95gle (ok just 203,000) and my boots tore probably around 120K-140K. didnt replace till like 180,000. I think they were around 250 bucks after i got the core chage back. I did both sides (half axles).

As for the shaking in steering. I have this happen to me every time i get 40,000+ miles on the tires and it's time for new tires. I have never had an alignment issue with the car.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

add me to the list. left side is torn not clicking. im going to check out that raxle place.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 AM

a haynes manual will have a worn CV as one of the possibilities under "steering wheel shake". Yes, tire balance and alignment come first, but in "silvergirls" case i think it clearly indicates a CV as it started shaking in the last month. If the CV is worn bad enough that that shaft gets off center it will be just like a tire being out of dynamic balance....its really easy to check before dumping $100 into having an alignment and tires balanced.

Raxles.com is one of the only places i know that puts on a "new" outer CV, at least they claim such on their web site...otherwise most are just ground to fit a larger bearing. unless you go with Raxles.com, i wouldn't bother with mail order...shipping back to half shafts will cost at least $30, and you will be waiting 6 weeks to get the refund. OEM half shafts i think are $450 a piece (aaanissanparts.com).
Old 12-11-2002, 10:55 AM

a haynes manual will have a worn CV as one of the possibilities under "steering wheel shake". Yes, tire balance and alignment come first, but in "silvergirls" case i think it clearly indicates a CV as it started shaking in the last month. If the CV is worn bad enough that that shaft gets off center it will be just like a tire being out of dynamic balance....its really easy to check before dumping $100 into having an alignment and tires balanced.

Raxles.com is one of the only places i know that puts on a "new" outer CV, at least they claim such on their web site...otherwise most are just ground to fit a larger bearing. unless you go with Raxles.com, i wouldn't bother with mail order...shipping back to half shafts will cost at least $30, and you will be waiting 6 weeks to get the refund. OEM half shafts i think are $450 a piece (aaanissanparts.com).
Ok thanks for the help. I realized today the grinding sound was my brakes, so I am going to replace those first before damage my rotor. All my pads are worn down, but for now just going to replace the front brake pads.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Thank you again so much, I heard semi-metallic is not very good. Either is ceramic. I think I will get Organic pads.
Try the EBC greens. They seem to work good for me. I got the for $54
when they first came out. I think they are more expensive now tho. I hear Hawk pads are great as well. Thats what Im switching to when I covert to 300ZX front brakes.

Tire rack.com has a good selection of pads too.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
add me to the list. left side is torn not clicking. im going to check out that raxle place.
I have a 2 spare axles if you need. Check the fs forum. Cheaper than raxles. I have ordered from raxles before, but it took them forever to get a 5spd axle, so after 3 wks I cancelled the order. I have both auto and 5spd for sale.