4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passengers Side Air Bag Cover on my GXE.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 08:22 PM

Passengers Side Air Bag Cover on my GXE.

Okay, so I have had my GXE for a little over a year. Well, I'm using simple green to wipe my dashboard (which I have used in every car I've ever owned) when I see this little black spec. I wipe it, it's still there, I wipe again, and it gets bigger. Well, stupid me, I keep on scrubbing and next thing you know, the dark brown of the dash starts chipping off like paint So, I take the simple green, scrub it on other areas of the dash and nothing, it stays brown. What the hell, the car has never been wrecked to my knowledge and has been reliable. I bought it with 50k on the odometer and all the VIN tags in place and no wrecks per a carfax report. Please tell me the air bag covers are painted to match the interior and not that my car has been wrecked. Can you guys think of any other instance where an air bag might have been replaced. I was so ****ed I called the prevous owner and he swears the car has never been wrecked. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Passengers Side Air Bag Cover on my GXE.

Originally posted by Redcivic
Okay, so I have had my GXE for a little over a year. Well, I'm using simple green to wipe my dashboard (which I have used in every car I've ever owned) when I see this little black spec. I wipe it, it's still there, I wipe again, and it gets bigger. Well, stupid me, I keep on scrubbing and next thing you know, the dark brown of the dash starts chipping off like paint So, I take the simple green, scrub it on other areas of the dash and nothing, it stays brown. What the hell, the car has never been wrecked to my knowledge and has been reliable. I bought it with 50k on the odometer and all the VIN tags in place and no wrecks per a carfax report. Please tell me the air bag covers are painted to match the interior and not that my car has been wrecked. Can you guys think of any other instance where an air bag might have been replaced. I was so ****ed I called the prevous owner and he swears the car has never been wrecked. Thanks.
The same thing happened to my dad's truck AND to my old Altima. I think it's just from plain old wear and tear (being baked in the sun can do horrible things to the dash).

Oh, and even if the car had been wrecked, I think they replace the airbag covers instead of repaint them, don't they? (Maybe I don't understand what you're saying though...)
Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 AM

the same happened to me.

The exact same thing happened to me last month. Does any one know an easy to obtain paint that will match? And what is the safe procedure to remove the airbag for painting?
Old 11-05-2002, 09:52 PM

Air bags....

Yes There is a way to paint/(die) the air bags... your best bet is to go to your local auto paint store and take something the color of your air bag and/or the interior color codes which are on the door panels.... I dont really know if nissan paints there air bags but i think they do, b/c i know Ford and GM, Dodge does.... its really easy to match the colors up.. most of the time there are dies already mixed up and there is no problem.. if there is not you will need to contact Nissan for the Die if they have it or have the die mixed for your car and have them professionaly painted...(They will have to be removed if this is nessasary) If you find the right color I would just tape aroung the bag and cover EVERYTHING in the car to provent overspray. but be careful if you do this or you can really screw up your car....be sure the airbag is very clean and oil free. I recommend having this done professionaly if you doubt yourself at all B/c you can really screw it up..... it should only take about a day to have it done and its not that expensive and they will remove the airbag.. well I hope this was of some help.. Jason
*** Not all airbag covers have been painted before, but I would trust the owner and not **** them off b/c the could be of some help if anything was to happen, But I have seen a plenty of covers that have been died b/c of one reason or another, if you really want to know if the car has been wreaked you can look at you airbag sensor located under the arm rest... if it looks new and there are newer model #s on it than the car is well theres your answer, plus The passenger airbag has a tendensy to crack the dash pad and will bust the windsheild, look to see if the windsheild has been replaced and hunt for a crack that has develped on the right side of the bottom corner of the dashpad at the Airbag. you can get really technical to see if a car has been wreaked.. so if you have any questions let me know.. I deal with alot of wreaked vehicals at times so let me know if you need anything. jason
Old 11-06-2002, 05:40 AM

Re: Air bags....

Originally posted by Maximaguy96'
Yes There is a way to paint/(die) the air bags... your best bet is to go to your local auto paint store and take something the color of your air bag and/or the interior color codes which are on the door panels.... I dont really know if nissan paints there air bags but i think they do, b/c i know Ford and GM, Dodge does.... its really easy to match the colors up.. most of the time there are dies already mixed up and there is no problem.. if there is not you will need to contact Nissan for the Die if they have it or have the die mixed for your car and have them professionaly painted...(They will have to be removed if this is nessasary) If you find the right color I would just tape aroung the bag and cover EVERYTHING in the car to provent overspray. but be careful if you do this or you can really screw up your car....be sure the airbag is very clean and oil free. I recommend having this done professionaly if you doubt yourself at all B/c you can really screw it up..... it should only take about a day to have it done and its not that expensive and they will remove the airbag.. well I hope this was of some help.. Jason
Thanks for the help. I was already considering to have the professionally painted. I found a local shop that is dedicated to restore interiors and leather seats so I'll take it for the paint job and a good clean/conditioning of the seats. Hope is not too expensive.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:36 PM

Is that part the actual air bag or just a cover? Does the entire bag need to be removed to paint it?
Old 11-06-2002, 06:40 PM

Is that part the actual air bag or just a cover? Does the entire bag need to be removed to paint it?
Yes the entire Airbag needs to be taken out if you decide to remove it... I am not sure how to remove nissans airbags....But you can not just remove the cover.. sorry..... Jason
Old 11-06-2002, 06:43 PM

Well, I guess I'll be calling around. Note to self, don't use heavy duty degreaser on Nissan interiors.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I guess I'll be calling around. Note to self, don't use heavy duty degreaser on Nissan interiors.
You shouldn't use heavy-duty degreasers on any interiors, unless of course it is cover in grease.
-Cyrus
Old 11-07-2002, 05:14 AM

cleaner

Originally posted by Vyrus

You shouldn't use heavy-duty degreasers on any interiors, unless of course it is cover in grease.
-Cyrus
I was cleaning mine with Tuffstuff interior cleaner when this happened.

Actually everything began with the sunshade. After removing it one day I noticed some black "stains" in the airbag. I was trying to get those small "stains" off when I got the big stain. Now I know those weren't stains but discoloration. I'm assuming that the paint was scraped off by the sunshade due to the high temperature inside the car.

Lessons learned:

Do not put anything on this airbag while it's hot and clean it only with water.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:05 AM

Man, that is the exact way it happened to me. I was using simple green.