4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Suspension Installation Question

Hello All,

I am going to help a friend install KYB AGX + Eibachs in his 99 Maxima. In addition to the struts and springs, whatelse do i need to get? The Eibachs didn't come with any plastic sleeves everyone was talking about. Do I reuse the stock one or do I get new ones from the dealer?

Also Does the AGX come with dust boots or they have to be purchased separately? Can I just reuse the stock dust boot and cut the bump stops?

The strut bearings: If I order new ones, do they come pre-greased? If not what kind of grease should I use? I've heard it is recommended that I replace some insulators on the top of the strut? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

If anyone has part# for the parts mentioned above, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them.

Thanks a lot in advance.

- Daniel
Old 11-07-2002, 11:08 PM

Re: Suspension Installation Question

Originally posted by dingster
Hello All,

I am going to help a friend install KYB AGX + Eibachs in his 99 Maxima. In addition to the struts and springs, whatelse do i need to get? The Eibachs didn't come with any plastic sleeves everyone was talking about. Do I reuse the stock one or do I get new ones from the dealer?

Also Does the AGX come with dust boots or they have to be purchased separately? Can I just reuse the stock dust boot and cut the bump stops?

The strut bearings: If I order new ones, do they come pre-greased? If not what kind of grease should I use? I've heard it is recommended that I replace some insulators on the top of the strut? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

If anyone has part# for the parts mentioned above, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them.

Thanks a lot in advance.

- Daniel
I recently installed AGX+Maxspeed springs in my 96. Here's some info I wrote:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=163528

Also, do a general search in the 4th Gen forum. There is literally a TON of answers for all your questions.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. I did do some search on this topic before but I am still a little unclear as to what OE parts I should replace.

I got this list from the thread you posted:

- Front -

Strut Spacer 54329-39U00

Strut Bearing 54325-5V000

Strut Dust Cover (Boot) 54050-31U01

Rubber seat 54034-0W000

Polyurethane sleeve 54034-85E10

- Rear -

Strut Spacer 56218-61L10

Dust Cover (Boot) 55240-01A00

Rubber Seat 55034-31U00

Polyurethane sleeve 55031-33P10

Cover Washer 55248-01U00

Isolation Bushing 56218-61L10

Should I really replace all these parts? What would you recommend as absolutely necessary to replace. I would think the strut bearing and the dust boot if it has deteriorated. Also doesn't the polyurethane sleeve do the same thing as the Radio Shack wire wrap everyone was talking about? I've done a lot of suspension work on German cars but this is the first time I work on a Maxima. I just want to make sure the job is done right the first time.

Thanks

- Daniel
Old 11-08-2002, 12:34 AM
Former Sponsor

you can order the boots from summit racing for cheaper
Old 11-08-2002, 12:52 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I have done the spring/shock swap 3+ times now on my car...

I am still riding on all stock shock boots/bearings etc...

I know that it's somewhat cheap insurance but unless you have a lot of miles on the car or drive in harsh environments... you may not need all these parts (if any)... especially on a '99.

Look at the shock boots, if they aren't brittle or damaged... you may not need them... Ultimately it's up to you to decide.

3/4" spiral wrap (although some folks have used smaller)

Old 11-08-2002, 05:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get the rancho dust boots from summit for $6.95. they are the same stuff KYB uses at half the price
Old 11-08-2002, 07:11 AM
What's next!?..

Re: Suspension Installation Question

Do a visual inspection. On a 99, you may not need to replace much of anything. Depends how many miles he's put on it. If he's at 60-70k miles I'd recommend replacing the boots with KYB boots. They come with smaller bumpstops so no need to cut.

Originally posted by dingster
Hello All,

Thanks a lot in advance.

- Daniel
Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM

The only thing I would replace would be the dustboots. I recommend buying the KYB dustboots because the integrated bumpstop is already shortened so you will not need to cut them (need to cut the OEM bumpstops when lowering you car).

On my 96 GXE, I reused everything else, including the bearings which seemed to be fine.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I recommend replacing the dust boots and the bushings. If you're feeling in the money, replace the front strut bearings as well. The wire wrap is a nice touch as well (good picture, BTW!); prevents excessive noise.

Aftermarket poly. dust boots are a good way to go; either AGX or those summit ones. (get pink!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Front strut bearings

if you are anywhere near 60k, I would say definately change out the front strut bearings. Mine went out 2 weeks after AGX, and I had to take the fron suspensiona part twice in one month (also means new front end alignment, dammit).

As for nissan oem spring isolators, they are so expensive! Use wire wrap, it works just as well, and it will save you so much money. Then use the savings to buy front strut bearings! Also, keep in mind that the way your wrap the springs is to look at them, see where metal will touch metal, and wrap there to stop the rubbing. It won't hurt anything if you wrap the crap out of them, but it will be squeaky-poppy if you don't wrap them enough.

Also, compress the springs until there is NO pressure on the strut anymore, and you can turn the top of the assembly (the whole top of the assembly, not just the strut). that way, everything will stay in order when you take it apart, and you can easily see how to put it back together. Otherwise, your stuff will fly all over the place, and you won't know what order to put it back in (and it could possibly hurt someone). I think that covers it.

Oh, and if you don't change the strut bearings, and it makes noise turning the wheels even after the first or second week (it makes noise as it settles for a week or so), then the bearings are bad. Lots of people have that wrong now, cause they didn't change them when they had it apart the first time, and it is a pain to take it back apart (and get another front end alignment).

Strut bearings from nissan come pre-greased.

I'm long-winded, but I hope that helps with uncertainties.