4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My 1st tune up..done

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:34 PM
What's next!?..

My 1st tune up..done

Well, after many weeks I've finally finished my tuneup work on the car. I've been doing it in parts every Sunday for the past few weeks. This past weekend was sparkplugs and fuel filter day.

Sparkplugs: The 12" extension for my rachet really helped. Everyone get one before you do your spark plugs! I was actually amazed at how hard it was to pull some of those ignition coils out at first. Well, all was going nice and smooth til I got to the last cylinder. The rear one closest to the driver side. I go to start pulling out the coil and the top just comes right off! I was like WTF! OMG.. the coil had broken off right at the top of the shaft. The shaft was still in the cylinder. ARGH.. So..10 minutes later I finally get it out with needle nose pliers. Now that I think about it, it was probably broken already and it was just good timing on my part that I decided to change the plugs when I did. Anyway, I go ahead and finish changing the plugs and get a new coil the next day from the local dealer. I was a bit nervous at first as they only had the Hanshin version and my old one was a Mitsubishi brand. (The shafts look a little different.) But I put it in and it's working just fine.

Fuel Filter: Well, this was definitely not a fun job. As I'd read in countless posts here, it's a B^*&* to do. The hardest part was loosening and tightening the screws on the top and bottom of the filter. There's hardly any slack on the lower hose so you basically end up twisting the filter to a decent position and trying to use the screwdriver with your left hand. The hoses actually came off pretty easily considering it has been way over the recommended 30k mark since the last change. A good technique I discovered to help with those screws was to use a 1/4" socket on my 12" extension to tighten them. Fits on nice and firm and the thing doesn't flop around as much. Then use the screwdriver for the last few turns.

All done. Took it out for a spin up and down the Palisades Pkwy..WOOoo!! 0-70 in 3/4 the time it used to take. Or it felt like it anyways.

Just had to share..
Old 11-11-2002, 11:47 PM

Good job. I recently did my first tune up, although I was lucky that none of the rubber parts from the coil packs seperated on me. I was also lucky because my dad was helping me by buying tools as I ran into trouble. This made the job a lot easier for me. My biggest problem was pulling out that 6th coil (driver side rear) and putting it back in. Too bad Nissan lacked the foresight to place whatever that thing is 3cm towards the cockpit. As for the 12in extender, I didn't need it. Instead, I used a double universal joint and got away with using only a 6in extender. Also, if you ever do your tune up again, I'd recommend you use anti-seizure compound on your plugs and di-electric lubricant on your coil pack rubber housings to prevent sticking.

-Gambit
Old 11-12-2002, 12:04 AM
What's next!?..

Originally posted by gambit
Good job. Also, if you ever do your tune up again, I'd recommend you use anti-seizure compound on your plugs and di-electric lubricant on your coil pack rubber housings to prevent sticking.

-Gambit
Actually, I did. Just didn't mention it.
Also, the 12" extension gave me enough room to do the job without having to take my FSTB off to make room while working on the rear plugs.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:50 AM

just be glad you dont have ABS, or else that fuel filter woulda been even more of a PITA

(assuming you dont have abs)
Old 11-12-2002, 07:33 AM

I still need to do my 100,000 mile tune up.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i got most of the stuff i need to do my tuneup, now all i need is the time to do it. hopefully i'll be able to get it done over thanksgiving otherwise it may be waiting til christmas time
Old 11-12-2002, 08:46 AM

Same here. I'm gonna be picking up all the necessary parts at jerry rome nissan this saturday, then wait until I'm home for Thanksgiving break to do the tune up. I wish I didnt have all these papers to write for my classes they SUCK
Old 11-12-2002, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kj043
Same here. I'm gonna be picking up all the necessary parts at jerry rome nissan this saturday, then wait until I'm home for Thanksgiving break to do the tune up. I wish I didnt have all these papers to write for my classes they SUCK

i know exactly how u feel. between all my classes and work the most i get to do to my max is put gas in it and run it through the car wash
Old 11-16-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by finny

i know exactly how u feel. between all my classes and work the most i get to do to my max is put gas in it and run it through the car wash
You're lucky you can take it to the car wash.

-Gambit