4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 01:31 PM

who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

i'm getting a y pipe but need to know how the "new" SS mandrel pipes are performing and sounding. i know every one raves about budget, but how about the SS, any problems, fitment issues, etc. i'm a 97 and needing that xtra power. i'm considering warpspeed SS MIG weld as my other option. (giving the benefit of the doubt on shipping)
Old 11-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

Originally posted by mrseed
i'm getting a y pipe but need to know how the "new" SS mandrel pipes are performing and sounding. i know every one raves about budget, but how about the SS, any problems, fitment issues, etc. i'm a 97 and needing that xtra power. i'm considering warpspeed SS MIG weld as my other option. (giving the benefit of the doubt on shipping)
No fitment issues, good gain on torque and I need to readjust my launch method cuz my old ways makes my tires spin to much. A little raspy type noise (not like bees in a can) at 3/4 to Wot but not that noticable due to my intake. Good buy for 160 shipped.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:06 PM

I've had mine for a month or two now. Paid $160 shipped...
The power gains were very noticable and it fit perfect.
Added noise but a resonator calmed that down.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:10 PM

so budget is that good. are they too good to be true? i mean that's a great deal compared to warpspeed. i just hope there are no problems (bees in can, flex pipe) that have been noted. this product has only been around for a short while. but you just can't beat that deal. will do more reasearch, but looks like budget is the front runner so far. thanks for the 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:19 PM

i have had my budget for almost a week, its great! they have been around for a little while, some members on this board have had their pipes on for like a year or so, i would definatly go with budget, you just cant beat the bang for buck
Old 11-19-2002, 02:27 PM

noise??

araffio, you said there was noise, how loud compared to before. i know it will be louder but you put on a resonator. what kind of exhaust set up do you have. i have an apexi ws catback. i love the "sleeperness" of it and don't mind adding some growl, but not too much.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:57 PM

Re: noise??

araffio, you said there was noise, how loud compared to before. i know it will be louder but you put on a resonator. what kind of exhaust set up do you have. i have an apexi ws catback. i love the "sleeperness" of it and don't mind adding some growl, but not too much.
Before the y-pipe I just had a CAI and 2.5" B-pipe with OBX SS muffler. It wasn't that loud and had a nice deep tone.
Once I put the Budget pipe on, the exhaust was LOUD!!
No bees-in-the-can sound, just deep and LOUD and rumbly! I kept it for a week or two then decided I wanted to quiet it down some, so I had a resonator put on the B-pipe. Now it's not as bad, louder than it was before the Y-pipe, but not as bad as right after the y-pipe.
If you don't want noise, you gotta stick with a stock muffler.
Even the Apexi will get louder with a y-pipe.

The reason the other pipes cost more is the name. The Budget performs and holds up just as well if not better than the others. No flex section or bees in can problems.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:21 PM

I've had my Budget Y for about 6 months now...

...and I LOVE IT!!!!

very noticeable gains
cheap
perfect fit
only louder at WOT, otherwise a sleeper

when it comes down to it, this is just a bent
metal tube...it's not that hard to a part to
manufacture.

FLO_BOY
Old 11-19-2002, 03:36 PM

There are two parts of the exhaust system that really quiet the exhaust system. Either of these all by themselves will do a good job of keeping the car quiet. These are the factory Y-pipe and the stock muffler. Remove one or the other, and the car stays quiet. Remove them both, and the car gets loud.

The stock Y-pipe is very restrictive and costs quite a bit of power above 3500 rpm. The stock muffler actually flows quite well, and doesn't cost much power at all.

Using a Y-pipe with the stock muffler (even without a resonator) results in a very quiet exhaust that still makes plenty of power.

I installed a Y-pipe along with a B-pipe using the stock muffler, and my car is very quiet. The exhaust is not loud by any means... and it doesn't even have a resonator.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Dev

i've had a budget y for about a month now.

there's a stupid sound that comes at about 3k rpms when revving in neutral.

for normal driving its fine.

i also get a rattling sound from redlining in neutral.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Dev
i also get a rattling sound from redlining in neutral.
We should meet up some time to compare our weird noises. I thought the "chattering" from my Max was from my 2K1 muffler.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 PM

you guys have def. got me wanting a Y pipe very badly...I think I'll get one after xmas.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:39 PM

I've had my budget pipe for over a year now. No fitment issues at all. It has a slight buzzing noise, but nothing too noticeable. I would go with budget, can't go wrong for $160..
Old 11-20-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

i've had my budget ypipe on for about 5 months, i have no complaints. i know some people say it gets overly loud if you have an exhaust in addition to the y.. but i have the apexi exhaust with it and i think it sounds perfect! my exhaust noise is even under the legal limit in CT. (can't be above 74db, i'm at 72db)

good luck!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:10 AM

Re: I've had my Budget Y for about 6 months now...

Originally posted by FLO_BOY
...and I LOVE IT!!!!

very noticeable gains
cheap
perfect fit
only louder at WOT, otherwise a sleeper

when it comes down to it, this is just a bent
metal tube...it's not that hard to a part to
manufacture.

FLO_BOY
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:07 AM

looks like i'm going to be getting a budget y very soon. i get paid next week. i'm wondering is there anything i shoud know to prepare for the install. like what size nuts and screws (if they aren't stainless steel ones already) what tools are best to use, will i have to remove/move anything under the car, etc. all input is appreciated. thanks for all the posts to ease my decision.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:43 AM

Installation

Installation is pretty straightfoward. The hardest part will be removing the two rusted on bolts from the pre-cats. I broke my socket wrench trying to take of those bolts. The rest after that is a breeze. You might need help when putting on the new Y-Pipe. You can have one of your friends help you hold the Y-Pipe in place while you start screwing in the bolts.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

Originally posted by KayLS96Max

i've had my budget ypipe on for about 5 months, i have no complaints. i know some people say it gets overly loud if you have an exhaust in addition to the y.. but i have the apexi exhaust with it and i think it sounds perfect! my exhaust noise is even under the legal limit in CT. (can't be above 74db, i'm at 72db)

good luck!
dang thats a pretty low noise limit. isnt it like 95 db in California?

Is it this low everywhere in the Northeast, like for example, in Massachusetts too?
Old 11-20-2002, 01:49 PM
JsL

I do...and its great. Best 160 investment you can ever put on a maxima. I do not have any annoying noises comming from it.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: who has a Budget SS mandrel Y-pipe?

Originally posted by spiff56747

dang thats a pretty low noise limit. isnt it like 95 db in California?

Is it this low everywhere in the Northeast, like for example, in Massachusetts too?
i'm not sure about MA, i would think it'd be about the same. i know that CT's is definitely 74db though because I got an exhaust ticket and therefore had to go to the DMV in order to prove them wrong.