4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Was about to order VI, now dyno proof shows no gains in 1/4, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 05:11 PM
Sin

Was about to order VI, now dyno proof shows no gains in 1/4, now what?

I have nothing but a hybrid intake with a pop type filter right now (yes there is a velocity stack) in terms of power mods, and I was just getting ready to order a VI so that I could start getting the whole process in motion (there is quite a delay between placing order, paying and receiving). I'm concerned with 1/4 mile times, and this doesn't seem to help. I don't have the ~$4000 US to drop for a turbo right now, and I'll be damned to settle for a slightly cheaper supercharger. I'm not big on nitrous because it's illegal for street use. So what the heck should I do?

Nitrous
Pros: Best hp:$ ratio
Cons: Illegal for street use

Turbo
Pros: Exactly what I want (previous car was a highly modified 850 Turbo)
Cons: Too much $$$

Super
Pros: Slightly cheaper than Turbo
Cons: It's like settling for something crappier, for not much less

NA (exhaust and intake with MEVI)
Pros: Cheap and still NA (some people care)
Cons: Not fast enough

I know there is no definitive answer, but I'd love to get some feedback from my fellow orgers on my dismay.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have the money, just get the turbo. You will enjoy it a lot more than NA, No2 or even maybe the supercharger. Also that wont be the end of upgrades, because all the turbo guys right now keep trying to get even more hp out of their engine. I think the turbo would be the most fun option.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:59 PM

The VI makes the Maxima better. The thing is, the biggest gains will be seen on the highway, past 65 mph. Also, it seems that the stock rev limiter cuts short just when the VI is gathering steam in the 1/4 mile, so to speak. Since you have a 96 Max, you should get the VI, a JWT ECU to upgrade the feul cut-off to like 7100 (or 7300 rms?), and then round it out with a UDP, so your AC/PowerSteering/Alternator won't be stressed too much at those dizzying RPMs, as well as lightening the load on the engine.

Wait till you see some 1/4 mile times of VI guys with a JWT ECU. It will really come into its own then.

DW
Old 11-26-2002, 06:03 PM

Ok fine, get VI and a turbo.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Handsome

I am also discouraged to get the VI from the posts.

For members, I've searched but can't find anything about 1/4 mile times and the benefits that an ECU (g-force, or JWT) brings to these times.

Which would be more beneficial to times VI, or ECU. Does the ECU make that much of a difference?
Old 11-26-2002, 07:49 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Street Reeper
I am also discouraged to get the VI from the posts.

For members, I've searched but can't find anything about 1/4 mile times and the benefits that an ECU (g-force, or JWT) brings to these times.

Which would be more beneficial to times VI, or ECU. Does the ECU make that much of a difference?
MEVI and ECU give gains in totally different ways. ECUs give gains in the midrange from 2500-5000rpm mostly, MEVI is from 5000+ ONLY.

Contrary to what you may believe, the MEVI does give gains in the 1/4 mile. Not as dramatic as you might hope for the amount FWHP "gained" but the gains are there, especially in trap speeds. You will trap 1.5 mph higher with the MEVI than without, and gain about .1 second. Measly gains for the price you pay you might say, but I assure you an MEVI'd 4th gen will put the hurt on a non-MEVI 4th gen on the highway, or from any sort of roll.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Sin

More than anything, what is keeping me from getting the turbo is, that much money could be spent else where to be so much faster. Considering that installed, a turbo kit will probably cost around $8000 Canadian, ($4200 US for the kit itself, then gauges, better FMU, dyno time, broken parts, etc, etc) I could be 2/3 on my way to owning a brand new Yamaha R6. Hell I'd even have a decent down payment on another car for that much. Considering I bought my car for about $24,000 Canadian on the road, I can't really see $8000 being worth the increase in performance. I mean, if I had even a $35,000 car, I could see $8000 being worth it for those gains, but for a $24,000 car? I dunno.

Like I said, getting $8000 expendable dollars isn't the issue, it's justifying it to myself that it would be best spent, speed wise, on a turbo kit. Especially since I've ALWAYS wanted a bike.

I mean, I don't even treat my Maxima nearly as well as I did my old Volvo 850 Turbo. Granted, I'm still doing my undergraduate degree on a scholarship, so tuition wasn't an issue, and it will be soon with graduate school around the corner, so money may be an issue, but I can already tell, unless I can go stickin' fast, I can't really justify $8000.

What should I do?!?!?!?
Old 11-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Sin
More than anything, what is keeping me from getting the turbo is, that much money could be spent else where to be so much faster. Considering that installed, a turbo kit will probably cost around $8000 Canadian, ($4200 US for the kit itself, then gauges, better FMU, dyno time, broken parts, etc, etc) I could be 2/3 on my way to owning a brand new Yamaha R6. Hell I'd even have a decent down payment on another car for that much. Considering I bought my car for about $24,000 Canadian on the road, I can't really see $8000 being worth the increase in performance. I mean, if I had even a $35,000 car, I could see $8000 being worth it for those gains, but for a $24,000 car? I dunno.

Like I said, getting $8000 expendable dollars isn't the issue, it's justifying it to myself that it would be best spent, speed wise, on a turbo kit. Especially since I've ALWAYS wanted a bike.

I mean, I don't even treat my Maxima nearly as well as I did my old Volvo 850 Turbo. Granted, I'm still doing my undergraduate degree on a scholarship, so tuition wasn't an issue, and it will be soon with graduate school around the corner, so money may be an issue, but I can already tell, unless I can go stickin' fast, I can't really justify $8000.

What should I do?!?!?!?
well if you are thinking about a bike or trading in you max then dont waste your time turboing or vi-ing

its more than just a mod when you turbo a non-turbo car. its something for a true enthusiest(sp).

Old 11-27-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Sin

What should I do?!?!?!?
get a y-pipe, check out motorvate.ca's dyno, 30hp after 6000rpm (power still falls off) and 18hp peak gain. $250+tx from budget
Old 11-28-2002, 05:36 AM

get a VI + ECU. For even quicker 1/4 times, nitrous is not a bad idea...
Old 11-28-2002, 06:02 AM

[bill clinton] I feel your pain[/bill clinton]

When you consider the cost of the VI, over $600 by the time you buy everything you need to get it installed.If this whole Courtesy thing works out it could be a little less but even then it will be pretty expensive. Then you need an ECU to raise the rev limiter to make full use of the VI (not that one is available for me ) When you add in the cost rest of the N/A mods (Intake, exhaust, UDP) it seems that for a little more money you can go FI and see dramatically higher gains.

I was going to get a VI but now I am not sure. It is expensive for a Mod that only gives gains over 5000 RPM and that money could be put towards a turbo or SC that would give much higher gains thruout the RPM range. For me nitrous is out, I don't want power that has to be turned on but it definatly offers bang for the buck.

The HLH turbo kt comes with just about everything you need for $4000. In my case it does seem a bit crazy to drop $4000 on an $11,000 car but what are you going to get for $15,000 that is as fast as a turbo 4th gen with the same level of comfort and refinement.

There is the possibility of a new SC comming out and the turbos should get cheaper as there is more competition and the companies pay off their development costs. For me I am going wait and see what happens, maybe I will get over my lust for power (yea, right ). I would say at least get a Y-pipe for now, it is cheap power and you can sell it if you go turbo and you need it anyway if you get a SC.