4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Momo knob installed, shifter still too long...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

Momo **** installed, shifter still too long...

i have a pascetter STS and the momo shift **** fit in great but dam, i was hoping for the length go down a little which it kind of did but its still like right under the middle tray on the dash when shifted on 3rd...i thought a pascetter STS shorted the shifter along with shortening shifting...either case, would it be safe to cut the STS? if so, what is the easiest way to cut it?

i talked to skeelo who i'm actually going to copy my idea from (he cut his stock shifter and has same **** as me (cobra wood vs cobra black leather) and his is short and nice...he used a hacksaw, any better ways? any dissadvantages to cutting it short?
Old 12-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Ramius83

What setting do you have the STS on? You can adjust it down if you would like to compensate for the high shifter ****.....

Old 12-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Ramius83
What setting do you have the STS on? You can adjust it down if you would like to compensate for the high shifter ****.....
how do u do that? 190hpkilla had car before me and i remember him telling me that he put it like halfway if not a little higher for safety or something...not sure, if i can drop it i will...just tell me how!!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by meccanoble

how do u do that? 190hpkilla had car before me and i remember him telling me that he put it like halfway if not a little higher for safety or something...not sure, if i can drop it i will...just tell me how!!!!
The ball is threaded onto the shift lever. You will have to get in the console and remove the ball housing so you can turn the ball. Turning it CCW as seen from the top will raise the ball relative to the lever.

By the way, did you find the source of your shifter looseness?
Old 12-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Even at the lowest setting, the Pacesetter is only ~.5" lower than the highest setting. Believe me, I messed around with mine numerous times.

meccanoble:
Why must the shifter be so low? Is it for looks? The lower the shifter is, the harder it will be to shift because you're changing the leverage. You might think it looks better, but from a performance standpoint, you'll end up loosing the ability for a quick downshift.

Dave
Old 12-06-2002, 03:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't know about the momo **** but consider the Sola Luna ball **** because the shifter rod sits very near the top of the **** (on the inside, of course). It is also screwed down so that you feel very connected with the shifting--much better than ***** that require set screws. It is made for the miata but the threads are the same on the max. A few of us have them. Pacesetter/SMC STS's are not height adjustable indepedently... height is a function of how short you make the throws.

I have the pacesetter on the shortest setting so went back to the stock **** to get back that 1/2" in height which makes shifting a lot easier. Heed Dave B's comments because the are so very true.

I STRONGLY urge that you do not butcher your STS because you lose the ability to put on a screw down ****, including the stock one.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:45 PM

I agree, the sola luna does lower about 1/2 inch? (I screwed mine down this it would go any more (lower than it goes with the included adaptor); my stock shifter with it is still a bit higher than I would like though. The sola looks/feels good, but cold in winter and hot in summer.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Sports Button FTW

thanks guys, i actually talked to some people and they even said putting pascetter STS to lowest position may kill synchro's in the transmission?

well the shifting now is real good, i just hate that little gap between **** and boot...i was thinking of cutting it like a half inch but i will keep it like this for now and see if it could get some getting used to...thanks for all advice guys...
Old 12-07-2002, 07:38 AM

mecca i have the same shifter that you got right.. and had the same gap. what i did was put a drop of crazy glue on the shifter rod and pulled up the boot up closest to the **** and held it there.. looks mint now.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
thanks guys, i actually talked to some people and they even said putting pascetter STS to lowest position may kill synchro's in the transmission?

I doubt this very highly.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by BOZOnPJs
mecca i have the same shifter that you got right.. and had the same gap. what i did was put a drop of crazy glue on the shifter rod and pulled up the boot up closest to the **** and held it there.. looks mint now.
lol, i clicked on your homepage for pics and some kid dunking in a kart came up
Old 12-07-2002, 10:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I doubt this very highly.
Explain to me why you doubt this?
Old 12-07-2002, 08:21 PM

i haven't gotten around to borrowing a digi cam to take pics, so i was practicing uploading pics
Old 12-09-2002, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Explain to me why you doubt this?
I think it has much more to do with how you shift (e.g. powershifting, not rev-matching when downshifting, etc.) rather than the ball position. I know a guy who needed new synchros after a couple of years due to the abuse he dished out to the poor transmission, and he had the stock shifter.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I think it has much more to do with how you shift (e.g. powershifting, not rev-matching when downshifting, etc.) rather than the ball position. I know a guy who needed new synchros after a couple of years due to the abuse he dished out to the poor transmission, and he had the stock shifter.
Dave B can you please expain to this fellow why the syncros will get killed at the lowest setting.

Mecca if you want short shifter get an S2000. Otherwise drive a stock maxima and see how much you will like the STS.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Dave B can you please expain to this fellow why the syncros will get killed at the lowest setting.

No need to, I've already read the explanation. I just don't believe it is necessarily true.