4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

topping off fuel tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

topping off fuel tank ?

is there anythign that could happen if you put in a little more gas after the pump automatically stops? if so how much extra can you put in?
Old 12-09-2002, 11:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Be reasonable, but I usually put a little more in, just dont put too much in to where you're wearing it on your shoes.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:55 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Be reasonable, but I usually put a little more in, just dont put too much in to where you're wearing it on your shoes.
I let it stop and then take it to the next 1/4 dollar increment or
whole dollar. I don't know why I'm so A/R about that but I am. For
about as long as I can remember I've only purchased gas with .00, .25,
.50, or .75 as the last two digits of price.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:19 PM

i spray myself everytime i fill up
it doesnt automatically shut off all the time so i just hold it and it shoots out.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:32 PM

Topping off is bad, there is no room for the gas to pressurize in the tank and it will overflow and flood your charcoal canister.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:57 PM

i jus stop when it automatically stops...every time i try to put a little more, it spills out a bit
Old 12-09-2002, 02:03 PM

I do the exact same thing!! Pennies, nickels and dimes are cumbersome change to me, so I do what I can to not have any change but quarters.

DW

Originally posted by joaquink

I let it stop and then take it to the next 1/4 dollar increment or
whole dollar. I don't know why I'm so A/R about that but I am. For
about as long as I can remember I've only purchased gas with .00, .25,
.50, or .75 as the last two digits of price.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
Topping off is bad, there is no room for the gas to pressurize in the tank and it will overflow and flood your charcoal canister.
This is true. Overfilling may flood your evaporative canister and cause the CEL to turn on.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:57 PM

Isn't gas pretty nasty on paint?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by StygianMax
I guess it would be if you rubbed it on or something. Gasoline is volatile and evaporates if not sealed in a container. So any gas that gets on your paint pretty much evaporates in 5 seconds. We've all spilled gas after filling up (the end of the nozzle might have a few drops) and I've never seen a car with ruined paint near the gas door.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by StygianMax
doesn't the clear coat protect it any way...unless the gas can damage the clear coat as well
Old 12-09-2002, 05:34 PM

I think on white cars you can see a faint stain from over spilled gasoline.

DW

Originally posted by Eric L.

I guess it would be if you rubbed it on or something. Gasoline is volatile and evaporates if not sealed in a container. So any gas that gets on your paint pretty much evaporates in 5 seconds. We've all spilled gas after filling up (the end of the nozzle might have a few drops) and I've never seen a car with ruined paint near the gas door.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:35 PM

no wonder my car ran so crappy whenever i topped it off to the max
Old 12-09-2002, 05:40 PM

I guess you like to Max in Maximas

DW

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
no wonder my car ran so crappy whenever i topped it off to the max
Old 12-09-2002, 09:31 PM

STORY TIME

this tread reminded me of the time i almost choked the gas station service guy

I never top off because i do not want to risk spilling on the paint, so one day i decided let me spoil myself and go to full service for that day

so the guy was pumping my gas , and i heard it automatically shut off, but i kept hearing him trying to squeeze more gas inside i guess
because he didnt want to break his money uneven
so I figure this guy is an expert at pumping gas and knows what he is doing and will stop in time before gas over fills
but no he kept on going, i was sitting in my car and couldnt really see what he was doing

THen finally when i guess he taught my car had enough he pulled away the pump and all i see im my rear view mirror is a waterfall of gas pouring out of the pump onto my car , i got out of the car and grabbed him by his neck and was screaming my a$$ off, Im like you dumb *** , you just spilled 10 dollars of gas all over my car , he's like no i didnt , i grabbed his face and pointed it towards the gallons of gas on my car and floor, I just lost it, he just didnt want to break an uneven bill so he wanted to put the gas wherever it could go

The manager came and i showed him what happened , on the bright side the manager let me go away with about $10 free gas that was already in my car and about another $10 gas that was on my car, i washed my car immediattly but was mad and same time happy that i got some free gas
Old 12-10-2002, 06:42 AM

Re: STORY TIME

Originally posted by 95seMax
this tread reminded me of the time i almost choked the gas station service guy

I never top off because i do not want to risk spilling on the paint, so one day i decided let me spoil myself and go to full service for that day

so the guy was pumping my gas , and i heard it automatically shut off, but i kept hearing him trying to squeeze more gas inside i guess
because he didnt want to break his money uneven
so I figure this guy is an expert at pumping gas and knows what he is doing and will stop in time before gas over fills
but no he kept on going, i was sitting in my car and couldnt really see what he was doing

THen finally when i guess he taught my car had enough he pulled away the pump and all i see im my rear view mirror is a waterfall of gas pouring out of the pump onto my car , i got out of the car and grabbed him by his neck and was screaming my a$$ off, Im like you dumb *** , you just spilled 10 dollars of gas all over my car , he's like no i didnt , i grabbed his face and pointed it towards the gallons of gas on my car and floor, I just lost it, he just didnt want to break an uneven bill so he wanted to put the gas wherever it could go

The manager came and i showed him what happened , on the bright side the manager let me go away with about $10 free gas that was already in my car and about another $10 gas that was on my car, i washed my car immediattly but was mad and same time happy that i got some free gas
some things just really arent making a huge scene over. it all comes down to just gas on a maxima.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:09 AM

it was probably more like 3 cents worth of gas..but i still would have been pi$$ed
Old 12-10-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: STORY TIME

Originally posted by JeepRage

some things just really arent making a huge scene over. it all comes down to just gas on a maxima

Thats like saying if someone parks next to you and opens their door and hits your car, and it makes a small dent that it means "its just a new dent on the maxima" , I dont know about you but if i try to take care of my car in everyway possible from parking in a bigger parking spot 4 blocks away from my house just to avoid the tight spot in front of my house so no one will scratch my bumper, every lil thing matters, If i take care of my car why would it be ok for some a$$hole to do something that you wouldnt do to the car
Old 12-10-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: STORY TIME

Originally posted by 95seMax

Thats like saying if someone parks next to you and opens their door and hits your car, and it makes a small dent that it means "its just a new dent on the maxima" , I dont know about you but if i try to take care of my car in everyway possible from parking in a bigger parking spot 4 blocks away from my house just to avoid the tight spot in front of my house so no one will scratch my bumper, every lil thing matters, If i take care of my car why would it be ok for some a$$hole to do something that you wouldnt do to the car
Yeah but a dent is permanent. And gas, if wiped off quickly, won't really harm the paint. Now you know not use full serve. Why did you even use it in the first place? Full serve is for the little old ladies who remember in the "good ole days" when all gas stations were full serve.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Grabed him by his neck
Little much don't ya think??
Old 12-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: STORY TIME

Originally posted by Eric L.

Yeah but a dent is permanent. And gas, if wiped off quickly, won't really harm the paint. Now you know not use full serve. Why did you even use it in the first place? Full serve is for the little old ladies who remember in the "good ole days" when all gas stations were full serve.
yeah youre right..and full serve is also the only thing you can get in certain states. like mine