4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATF Flush Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 10:13 AM

ATF Flush Please Help

I can't find the manual to the car but I want
to flush out the ATF. Please tell me what kind
of Auto Tranny Fluid do we need for 1995 Nissan
Maxima.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You want any Dextron III or similar. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Look under the driver side of the car. You will see the pan for the transmission. You can unbolt the bolt and drain out some of the fluid. Keep in mind you'll probably only get about 1/4 of the total fluid in the system this way. A lot of the fluid is in the torque converter and inside the VB. You can expect to get 4-5 quarts of fluid out this way. A better way is to take it to the dealer or a quick lube place that will do a tranny flush for you. Or, you can do "ghetto flush". I haven't tried it. But you can remove the smally tranny fluid return hose from the driver side of the radiator (towards the bottom) and you can run the car and let the car flush the fluid out. You have to keep replacing the lost fluid with fresh fluid via the dipstick tube. I haven't tried it though.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
You want any Dextron III or similar. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Look under the driver side of the car. You will see the pan for the transmission. You can unbolt the bolt and drain out some of the fluid. Keep in mind you'll probably only get about 1/4 of the total fluid in the system this way. A lot of the fluid is in the torque converter and inside the VB. You can expect to get 4-5 quarts of fluid out this way. A better way is to take it to the dealer or a quick lube place that will do a tranny flush for you. Or, you can do "ghetto flush". I haven't tried it. But you can remove the smally tranny fluid return hose from the driver side of the radiator (towards the bottom) and you can run the car and let the car flush the fluid out. You have to keep replacing the lost fluid with fresh fluid via the dipstick tube. I haven't tried it though.
Everything he said is true, but another alternative is to drain and fill 3 times over the course of a few weeks or months. Theoretically you can change all of the fluid this way, but in reality you will never get 100% of the contaminants w/o a true flush.

I went this route and did 2 drain-and-fills, with 1 more to go. In reality you get about 50% of the fluid this way (per drain), so I am at 75% changed now (1.00 x .50 = .50 x .50 = .25 or 25% still unchanged) and the shifting improvement is noticable, as is idle smoothness while at lights or when stopped but in "D." I plan to drop the whole pan next time to scrape it out (parts store was out of gaskets the last 2 times I was there- this time I will preorder one). It is a lot cheaper to do it this way, and you do not have the chance of ruining the tranny w/ the ghetto-flush. If I knew how to do it OR had somoene who did know what they were doing to help, I would have done the ghetto flush. If I had the $, I would pay to have it done. But where I am right now, this is the best that I can do w/ what I have. I figure that after the next flush I will have 80-85% of the fluid switched, AND will be a bit ahead b/c I will have dropped and scraped the pan (+ replacing the gasket), something not possible with a tranny flush, all for under $20 plus the cost of the gasket- and with no eisk of F-ing up my tranny.

If you want to try the tranny flush @ home, do a search for my username (I asked these questions a few months ago) and the term "flush". or search for posts by the usename "Jime". It will be in the 4th gen or general forum.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A lot of places won't let you choose what kind of fluid they put in to your car during a tranny flush. Thats one thing I didn't like. If you don't want to do the ghetto flush. Do this. Drain the pan and find instructions for the aftermarket Valve Body install. That will tell you how to drop the tranny pan. Drop the pan, clean out the magnets of the pan. Use some brake cleaner and clean up the pan. Bolt it back on, plug it up and fill. If you can change out 1/2 of the total fluid (maybe two changes), you will be in good shape.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
A lot of places won't let you choose what kind of fluid they put in to your car during a tranny flush. Thats one thing I didn't like. If you don't want to do the ghetto flush. Do this. Drain the pan and find instructions for the aftermarket Valve Body install. That will tell you how to drop the tranny pan. Drop the pan, clean out the magnets of the pan. Use some brake cleaner and clean up the pan. Bolt it back on, plug it up and fill. If you can change out 1/2 of the total fluid (maybe two changes), you will be in good shape.
Ah, good point on the brake-cleaner. That is what I forgot.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:44 PM

I paid $80 and supplied my own Redline D4 ATF to Jiffy Lube for a T-tech flush. They took $20 off because I used my own ATF.