4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen Intake Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 05:15 PM

Stillen Intake Install Problems

I was trying to install my Stillen intake today, and got to the part where I'm supposed to make the Air Temperature Sensor wire longer by cutting back the wire loom. I don't want to cut the loom, so insted I want to try to splice the wire so that it can reach the intake. What gauge wire is it, and what should I do? Has anyone done this? I want to get the wire into the intake hole somehow... Help!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:34 PM

I feel your pain. i had this same problam about 2 weeks ago when i installed mine and asked the same question after i installed it. what i did was cut the wire and add some speaker wire to lengthen it. i used those little plastic connecters you crimp down over the wire to connect them. i didnt worry about guage or anything like that. my intake is working fine and i have no check engine light or any problems. someone who answered my thread said that they kept cutting the loom and eventual they had enough wire to connect it. i dont see how that happended. i kept cutting until i couldnt get my hand back there anymore and gave up and cut the wire. good luck, you can always call stillen and ask them over the phone what they would do.

david
Old 12-25-2002, 09:13 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Dstyle
I feel your pain. i had this same problam about 2 weeks ago when i installed mine and asked the same question after i installed it. what i did was cut the wire and add some speaker wire to lengthen it. i used those little plastic connecters you crimp down over the wire to connect them. i didnt worry about guage or anything like that. my intake is working fine and i have no check engine light or any problems. someone who answered my thread said that they kept cutting the loom and eventual they had enough wire to connect it. i dont see how that happended. i kept cutting until i couldnt get my hand back there anymore and gave up and cut the wire. good luck, you can always call stillen and ask them over the phone what they would do.

david
i don't understand why you guys would be going through this problem UNLESS u r a 95-96 maxima. 97+ only have one hook up and that is to the MAF. Whether u have stillen, hybrid, or whatever, the MAF is basically sitting in the same place or somewhat same place and the wire is long enough to reach that area...i checked one of your homepages and it said 97 so i don't see how u guys can be going through this problem unless u r trying to hook up a sensor to the front of the filter which shouldn't be necessary with 97+ maxima's...in other case, i'm lost....
Old 12-26-2002, 06:12 PM

no, i have a 99, and there are 2 sensor hook ups, one for the maf, and the other for the ambient air temp, that is normaly hooked up to the stock air piping that goes to the air box. you have to move this to the intake because the new stillen intake has a hole on the end of it for this sensor. if you didnt replace it there, there would still be a hole and the intake wouldnt filter. ive seen pics of other stillen intakes that are the exact same as mine, but dont have the hole for the air temp sensor. i dont know why they changed it, maybe they think it performs better since the senser is reading the air going into the filter, instead of the air going through the stock air intake piping, which is no longer used.

does that make sense?
Old 12-27-2002, 07:07 AM

About the Sensor

The Air Temp senser is found on all models between 95-99.

The 95-96 has a location where it fits right to the top of the intake.

The 97-99's location is at the lower portion of the air scoop and cannot reach the intake itself. You will need to cut the wire, and shove it into the top of the intake, cut a hole.

Whether you want to do this or not, I am actually not sure if it matters. I believe I read that the sensor does not affect actual engine components, just on board diagnostic utitlies.

- Mike
Old 12-27-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: About the Sensor

Originally posted by Michael J.
The Air Temp senser is found on all models between 95-99.

The 95-96 has a location where it fits right to the top of the intake.

The 97-99's location is at the lower portion of the air scoop and cannot reach the intake itself. You will need to cut the wire, and shove it into the top of the intake, cut a hole.

Whether you want to do this or not, I am actually not sure if it matters. I believe I read that the sensor does not affect actual engine components, just on board diagnostic utitlies.

- Mike
Yea, i just cut the wire and spliced it, using speaker wire... it works fine now, thanks for the help!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 98 with the 95-96 Stillin Cone. If you dont need the hole there, just plug it with a 2 washers and a bolt, like I did. Performs just the same.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:19 PM

Is this only an issue with the Stillen set up??