4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trouble shifting into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Trouble shifting into 3rd

Over the past couple months, I've noticed a problem shifting my 97 5-sp with 90k into third when its cold out. Usually only a problem with the 1st and 2nd shifts I do into third. After that, either the transmission fluid warms up (doubtful, since this takes a while), or more likely, the synchro gets some good oil on it. I have Redline synthetic in it...the feeling isn't one of slugishness (what I felt before I put synthetic in). More like there is a little dude in there cramming sticks into the gear cogs so that the tranny bounces out of gear when I try and put it in too fast. If I apply gradual pressure to get it in gear, there are no problems. There is no actual slipping or anything of that kind once I engage the clutch.

Any thoughts as to whether this a worn synchro, an actual problem with 3rd gear, or something else? Has anyone replaced just the synchros in their tranny, or is this pretty dumb, and I might as well go with a whole new transmission? If so, new from factory, or remanufactured? Thanks

-James
Old 12-28-2002, 06:49 PM

Worn syncro is not a bad place to start. As for revamping the tranny; there is one of two options I know of. Either buy all the bearings and syncros and seals from Nissan or get an aftermarket tranny kit. There are no remanufactured 5spd's that I know of and I work at a Nissan dealer. Oh yeah, you could also buy a new tranny but they cost alot of mulla. I'm actually in the process of buying all the parts to rebuild mine so if you need PN's, lemme know and I'll send um to ya along with the list prices. Hope this is helpful.