4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 12:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

Why does my "Service Engine Soon" light always come on? Is there something set in the computer chip that makes that come on to remind me to change the oil or something? I just bought this '99 Maxima a couple of months ago and all the fluids and filters are new.

I noticed that when the interior dashboard fan from the center air vents is on either the number 1 or 2 position that it makes quite a bit of noise. I either have to keep it off or turn it to 3 or 4 so that I don't hear the fan noise (or just turn up the volume on my stereo). Is this a common complaint or is there something I can do to fix it. I'm pretty familiar with taking the dashboard covers off since I installed all the aftermarket audio equipment myself. The noise seems to be coming from the center air vents.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

Originally posted by lajoie99MAX
Why does my "Service Engine Soon" light always come on? Is there something set in the computer chip that makes that come on to remind me to change the oil or something? I just bought this '99 Maxima a couple of months ago and all the fluids and filters are new.

I noticed that when the interior dashboard fan from the center air vents is on either the number 1 or 2 position that it makes quite a bit of noise. I either have to keep it off or turn it to 3 or 4 so that I don't hear the fan noise (or just turn up the volume on my stereo). Is this a common complaint or is there something I can do to fix it. I'm pretty familiar with taking the dashboard covers off since I installed all the aftermarket audio equipment myself. The noise seems to be coming from the center air vents.
welcome aboard!

you may get "flamed" for asking these questions without searching...these are somewhat common complaints...so, please try
to use the search function.

As for your questions...

go here: checking your CEL to find out about the "check engine light"...

for the noise -- there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" on the fan
noise -- use the search function on this site, and you'll find enough
info on fan speed noise...

hope this helps.
FLO_BOY
Old 12-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

Thanks for your response. I'll get the answers by looking into those links you provided. I'll be sure to use the search function in the future.

I've been really impressed with my Maxima in the way it drives and handles by the way. I was looking around through this site to find what ways I could modify it for higher performance (looked in the 4th Gen Maxima threads). I saw that the first thing I should do is install an aftermarket "Y pipe" and a high-flow air filter, like a "Pop Charger" type of air cleaner or a cold air induction filter. It looks that you've put some of those things into your Maxima from what you've advertised in your signature line. I don't think that supercharging would be even in the question for me at this point, but I wouldn't mind giving it some more air flow. It seems to want to get out and really move but needs to breath more. What do you think? Mine is a '99 Maxima. Its only downfall for performance is that it's an automatic, but that's actually one of the reasons that I bought this car. I've been comuting to work (28 miles each way) with a 5 speed on congested freeways and it was killing me. Now I sort of get the best of both worlds with the power and performance but I don't have to kill my left leg with the clutch for hours every day.

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

welcome aboard!

you may get "flamed" for asking these questions without searching...these are somewhat common complaints...so, please try
to use the search function.

As for your questions...

go here: checking your CEL to find out about the "check engine light"...

for the noise -- there is a "Technical Service Bulletin" on the fan
noise -- use the search function on this site, and you'll find enough
info on fan speed noise...

hope this helps.
FLO_BOY
Old 12-30-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

I saw that the first thing I should do is install an aftermarket "Y pipe" and a high-flow air filter, like a "Pop Charger" type of air cleaner or a cold air induction filter. It looks that you've put some of those things into your Maxima from what you've advertised in your signature line.
Buy the Y-Pipe...your car will stay quiet (unless you gun it) and it
should add PLENTY of more horsepower, and many more smiles

As for the intake, that'll help too --> it'll help even more if you
have the Y-Pipe!

Take care, have fun and Enjoy the Ride!

FLO_BOY
Old 12-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

Thanks... That's a big help. I'll start looking into a decent Y Pipe and CAI system. It looks like installing the Y-Pipe (if it's a decent one with a reputable name) should be pretty simple. I've read that as long as the car is plenty warmed up, it should have no problem passing a smog test (it's a California car). Doesn't it take out the two pre-cats, or is that something else I'm thinking of? This website is great for getting information from other informed Maxima owners like yourself.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Service Eng Soon light & fan noises

I've read that as long as the car is plenty warmed up, it should have no problem passing a smog test (it's a California car). Doesn't it take out the two pre-cats, or is that something else I'm thinking of?
No -- you are correct -- you will remove the two pre-cats...

As far as passing an emmissions test, I passed mine a month ago
and I have both a Budget Y-Pipe and a Frankencar intake...just make
sure that your car is up to temperature.

take care,
FLO_BOY