4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

personal budget y-pipe write up

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 12:35 PM

personal budget y-pipe write up

well its a bit outdated since i installed it about 2 months ago,
but.......

first impression i was like WTF because it didnt even come with a box, but come to find out that wrap that thing like a ****, and the wrap is probably more durable than a box. the finish was very nice, good coat of black paint and the flex section was in great shape. the next day i got the car up and started installation with my dad.i would say total hours of work was about 5-6 but for most people it should only be about 3 hours. be forwarned, the bolts on the cat are going to require some strugling and some brut force if you dont have air tools. i went by the instructions on maximadriver.com (thanks cheston) they worked very well. the reason install was so long for me is because my bolts broke cuz they were so rusted. i used a breaker bar w/ bolt hold strippers on the end of the socket and with a little strength they came off. only problem is it took about 1-2 hours to figure out what to use. well once we got the old one off the budget fit on perfectly, i was shocked with how nice it placed in there. bolted everything back up. btw, almost all sockets sizes will be 14mm(mostly) a few 10mm. i started the car up and imedialtly noticed a deeper rumble from the exhaust, but not really loud, just something little. i took it for a test drive after reseting the ECU by pulling a cable off the battery. took it for a test drive and it felt much stonger especially above 3.5k RPM. i noticed the biggest difference on the highway, it really pulls well at higher speeds, now for the speed tests....

before the y-pipe i raced my friend in his 5speed GTi, lost by about a car, reraced him with y-pipe and from a start he pulled at 2nd gear (shifting manualy) my torque took over and i slowly pulled to about a car lengths lead by 70.

before y-pipe i raced my friends monte carlo ss, 86' and beat him by about 2 cars, with y-pipe i pulled the whole time and ended up about 5 cars ahead by 80.

so over all, for $160 shipped it was the best bang for buck i have ever bought, works great, no "bees in a can" nice sound when you accelerate, and awesome performance gain for dollor, i would strongly recomend one to anyone who doesnt have one
Old 12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It would be nice if they called me back to take my order.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:41 PM

Just a little note: I verified this in the owner's manual too last week. You need to have the ECU disconnected for a full 24 hours to erase all memory of the previous configuration. In actuality, its probably less time than that, but 24 hours is their definite time span for complete circuitry discharge.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by deezo
It would be nice if they called me back to take my order.
Deezo, you haven't ordered yours yet? I thought you already did. I hounded them till they took my order. I called them and they said to email them. I did an got no reply or phone call for a day, so I called them up again and told them about the lack of reply. They took my order right over the phone while checking it with my previous email.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:54 PM

yeah, it took me like 2 weeks to get mine ordered, nice people, but crappy customer service.

about the ECU, maybe thats why u dont feel all the power from the y-pipe right away. in my experience it didnt reach its full potential until about 3 days later, and my car was only disconnected for like 30 min when i reset it
Old 12-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

So, how's that purdy black paint on the pipe holding up?

Old 12-30-2002, 02:22 PM
xarfox

where did you order it?

anyone have it installed at a shop?

phone numbers plz

Old 12-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by xarfox
where did you order it?

phone numbers plz

Old 12-30-2002, 03:01 PM

where did you order it?

phone numbers plz
www.budgetexhaust.com

top banner, all info is there
Old 12-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

where did you order it?

phone numbers plz
I just installed mine myself - it's pretty straight forward if you can get all the nuts off! I had to have Midas remove one of the ones off the cat - unfortunately I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to remove it, then eventually giving up and putting all the other bolts back in. Once the stuck bolt was removed I was able to do this in an hour, and I'm not very experienced with automotive work.
Here's some instructions from my cardomain site:

1. Drive the car on to ramps or jack it up and put it on jack stands.
2. Make sure it's cool enough to work on the exhaust components!
3. Spray liquid wrench on all nuts.
4. Using a breaker bar, break free all the bolts starting with the ones on the cat - do not remove them until you've broken them all free. 2 on the cat, 3 on each vertical section.
You'll need a 14mm deep socket, some extensions (6", 10"), a universal joint.
5. Once you've broken all the nuts free, remove the O2 sensors using an oxygen sensor socket. Just let them dangle once removed.
6. Undo the hangers on the cat section.
7. Remove all 8 14mm nuts.
8. Remove 2 12mm nuts in the pre cat area in the middle
9. Carefully lower the stock Y pipe to the ground, remove the old gaskets and place the diamond gasket on the cat section.
10. Apply a little anti-seize to all the nut threads, and the threads on the O2 sensors.
11. Lift the Budget Y pipe into place, making sure the crush gaskets are properly seated, aligning all the bolts to the holes in the front and middle sections - the rear section can be aligned later.
12. Now there's a lot of room, you can finger tighten one bolt on each section to hold it in place while you reinstall all the 14mm nuts on the front and middle sections.
13. Reinstall the hanger section on the cat end of the Y pipe and thread on the nuts.
14. Tighten all the nuts.
15. Using the O2 Sensor socket reinsert the front and middle oxygen sensors.
16. Lower the car
17. Reset the ECU
18. Take her for a drive!

Pictures here
Old 12-30-2002, 11:11 PM

why am i getting the impression budget owns stillen and all other y pipe producers. ugh
Old 12-31-2002, 05:32 AM
xarfox

Originally posted by Sean97SE
why am i getting the impression budget owns stillen and all other y pipe producers. ugh
because they do

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...-pipe_dyno.htm

Old 12-31-2002, 02:19 PM

I got a PM from Jody this morning. They took an extended holiday so I should hear from them after New Years.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Does anyone have a sound clip of this bees in a can sound? I'm not quite sure that I have it. At least I hope not. I thought it only occurred when you start the car.