4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen flywheel woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:45 AM

Stillen flywheel woes

I recently purchased a stillen lightwieght flywheel and ACT HDMM clutch. Upon installation by my mechanic, i was informed that the flywheel may have been previously installed on another vehicle due to wear marks on the threads. My mechanic also stated that the bolts and threads did not line up, so it may not be the right part. Lastly, he mentioned that the part was a waste of money and that it really didn't improve the performance of the car. Comments? Suggestions?

Oh yeah. This is my first post.

THanks
Lawk
1995 se 5spd
Old 01-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lighter flywheels have long been resolved to increase HP to the cars running them...that is not rocket science...

as far as the marks on the Flywheel...I will guess there was no call made before installation nor there are any pictures taken before install...even if you did, if it is on the car, you are SOL...Stillen has a hard enough time with customer service without trying to disprove your mechanic did not install it incorrectly and just try to cry foul...if it wirks and you did not have any reports as far as fit/finish and nothing was "broken"...then you are stuck with it...personally I think their flywheel is severely overpriced...they are not the only ones that market lightened flywheels but they do appear to be highest priced...

good luck!
Old 01-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Well i had him skip the installation of the flywheel, but I had to have the clutch in, so now im lookin at another install even if stillen does decide to give me a new one. I think id rather just have my money back. to make it clear, the wear marks were on the THREADS in the flywheel...sh*t! i think it might be time to buy another sportscar!
Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A lighter flywheel doesn't give you more HP. It frees up some inertia(sp?) so your engine may rev faster. Kind of the same principal as the under drive pully.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

lighter drive components simply "absorb" less power....the engine is still making the same amount, but it doesn't expend as much accelerating the flywheel, so more of it makes it to the ground. so it will improve acceleration, probably improve fuel economy in stop and go driving...but will also impact driveability...the engine will drop revs quicker between shifts and so on. lighter drive parts do not offer any gains unless you are accelerating.

you know how they rate engines in net and gross horsepower numbers....well, the difference in those numbers is at the crank versus at the wheels....accelerating all the drive line parts is the majority of the hp loss...there is also friction losses and power that is taken up by accessories.

the underdrive pulley does two things...it is lighter, but also smaller so its not moving the belt as fast (which makes it easier for the engine to turn) and hence not putting as much power to the other accessories....so it has gains even at steady speed driving.

enough of a physics lesson for today....
Old 01-09-2003, 01:16 PM

more

thanks, i am aware of the function of the flywheel. I think i have come to the conclusion that my mechanic is correct though. It may make a difference in the cars performance, but not significantly enough to warrant the part's $419 price tag. Anyway, Stillen has agreed to take back the used part without confrontation.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:56 PM

Re: more

Originally posted by Lawk
Stillen has agreed to take back the used part without confrontation.
Wow, I guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day huh? Good to hear.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Re: more

Originally posted by Lawk
$419 price tag
Stillen sold this to you for $419? Hmm ... they want $550 for the 5th gen flywheel! Did you haggle the price down?
Old 01-14-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: Re: more

Originally posted by ohboiya

Stillen sold this to you for $419? Hmm ... they want $550 for the 5th gen flywheel! Did you haggle the price down?
You got it man! Why pay full price for anything? It also helps if you buy all your sh*t there.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: more

Originally posted by ohboiya

You got it man! Why pay full price for anything? It also helps if you buy all your sh*t there.