4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Driver's position

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Driver's position

I've always found the driver's position on my 97 GXE to be awkward. I'm 6' 2" and I find that my legs are cramped, and my knees hit the dash. I've read that the driver's position was improved for the fifth generation Maxima.

I understand that you can't get longer seat rails. Has anyone found any modification that helps make the position more comfortable?
Old 01-11-2003, 07:13 PM

I'm 6'2" also...I've always been comfortable in my Max, but I re-adjust my seats every once in a while too.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Maxima Driver's position

Originally posted by BillE
can you sit in your car w/the door open and have someone take a pic of you? I wanna see how bad it is. Maybe I can offer some suggestions. IN the mean time, check out http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._seating.lasso

Jae
Old 01-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Maxima Driver's position

Originally posted by ThurzNite

can you sit in your car w/the door open and have someone take a pic of you? I wanna see how bad it is. Maybe I can offer some suggestions. IN the mean time, check out http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._seating.lasso

Jae
I could send you a picture of deez.
DEEZ NUTZ
Old 01-11-2003, 10:57 PM

im 6'2" and im fine. my only gripe about comfort is that the door arm rest is too low, and the window seal is too high to rest my left arm on either. also the center council is a little too far back to easily get my right elbow on. anyway, when im city driving i have my seat close enought to the pedals that my knee doesnt lock when i push down the clutch. then when im on the highway and not using the clutch i move the seat back to relax.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the responses on this. I did go to the link that Jae mentioned, and it's helpful.

BillE
Old 01-13-2003, 11:02 PM

I'm 6'1" and 130lb (yeah, kinda lightweight). To find my seating position, I put the seat all the way upright. Then push the seat fully forward. I dig my butt into the back of the seat, push the clutch all the way in, and push the seat back (left hand on seat release, right hand on steering). I push till my knee almost locks. Then I recline 1 or 2 notches. Steering is in highest position. I have no problems driving agressively or casually in this position, and can reach the shifter and radio without lifing my shoulder. I have no use for the arm rest or door rest cuz I always have 2 hands on the wheel.

Post pics if u want us to critic and offer more suggestions! good luck and safe driving!

Jae
Old 01-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Custom User Title...

deezo's a big guy, ask him how he fits.

i wonder how big the tallest person on here is...
Old 01-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm 6'2" and i find my right leg hitting the dash and having to be straightened a little in order to shift to first but what i did was adjust my seats so they sit in a way where the bottom seat slantsinto the seat making the front of the bottom seat high and the back low. This kind of makes your leg sit more right angle like...and i cant drive without having the steering wheel all the way down....
Old 01-14-2003, 06:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys - I took the driving directions link that Jae suggested and positioned the seat so that it close enough for me to drape my arms over the top of the steering wheel at the wrist. I lifted the steering wheel to it's top level.

I lifted the back of the bottom seat to the highest level to move my legs a bit farther from the pedals.

I angled the bottom front of the seat slightly down...and I put the seat back up fairly straight.

Together, those changes made it more comfortable for driving around town. I do put the seat back slightly for highway driving.

Better still, I test drove a fifth generation yesterday, and they obviously fixed a lot of these issues. More front leg room than any card I've driven and the steering wheel position feels just right. More knee room also.

But it'll be a couple of years before I trade up.

Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 01-14-2003, 07:33 AM

Hi guys - I took the driving directions link that Jae suggested and positioned the seat so that it close enough for me to drape my arms over the top of the steering wheel at the wrist. I lifted the steering wheel to it's top level.

I lifted the back of the bottom seat to the highest level to move my legs a bit farther from the pedals.

I angled the bottom front of the seat slightly down...and I put the seat back up fairly straight.

Together, those changes made it more comfortable for driving around town. I do put the seat back slightly for highway driving.

Better still, I test drove a fifth generation yesterday, and they obviously fixed a lot of these issues. More front leg room than any card I've driven and the steering wheel position feels just right. More knee room also.

But it'll be a couple of years before I trade up.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Boy I'm glad I'm 5'7"
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM

I am 6'3 and have had no troubles in my max, it was one of the reasons I bought it. It is one of the few cars I can really stretch out in and be comfortable.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:52 PM

BillE, wow! glad you found your position so quick! It took me a week to fiddle the seat height (front and back). My back is all the way down, front is up a lil to take up the slack under my knee/thigh. I like it this way cuz it's sorta like bucket seat and I feel more of the car under my legs (helps when taking corners @ limit)

I haven't had the chance to drive my bro's 2k max for any extended time. I do know that my cloth seats grip better than his leather seats. However, I want leather seats w/suede inserts!

Jae
Old 01-14-2003, 09:16 PM

Re: Maxima Driver's position

I've always found the driver's position on my 97 GXE to be awkward. I'm 6' 2" and I find that my legs are cramped, and my knees hit the dash. I've read that the driver's position was improved for the fifth generation Maxima.

I understand that you can't get longer seat rails. Has anyone found any modification that helps make the position more comfortable?
I dont know whether the you are talking about the auto or 5sp but i have an auto 98 and i feel fine..

btw im 6'4"
Old 01-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm 6' even, no problems with my 5spd but my right knee keeps pushing onto the e-break handle, i have a few sores to proove it too, it would be nice to have the e-break on the other side.