4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shifters - Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:13 PM

Shifters - Which is best?

Hi all,

I am buying a Maxima for my very own tomorrow, and like I do with all my cars, I'm getting ready to start modding it.

First thing I have to do is get a different shifter. I'm thinking about this one, an adjustable shifter. Click here to see it

Does anyone know if this is a quality shifter? It appeals to me because my wife will be driving this car quite a bit and on a previous shifter experience in a Mustang, I know she won't enjoy a shifter with a very very short throw. She finds it hard to find gears when there isn't so much room between them. (Myself, I loved it)

I don't want to cause any trouble with my marriage (it's lasted 8 years so far, so it's too late to start over).

I'd also like to know if anyone can answer this: Does everyone's stock shifter lean away from the driver? I don't really like this, and I'm thinking about modifying it to be closer to me (if this shifter turns out to be crap).

One last thing: I saw a kit for replacing the bushings on the factory shifter to reduce the slop that develops with age. Mine is a little loose, and I want to tighten it up. Do these bushings come with a new shifter, or does a short throw shifter even use them? Sorry if I sound dumb about this, but all the shifters I've installed before went straight into the tranny.

Thanks for any advice guys,

Jamie
Old 01-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's nothing wrong w/that shifter. But I wouldn't buy it. I know on my 97 GXE, my shifter is not straight up and down like the one in the picture. Mine is angled towards the driver. I am working with KartBoy.com to make a shifter specifically for 4th gens. It will cost $100. I've already prototyped one for 1st gen altimas and it's awesome.

Also, for the bushings, you can buy polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension (actually, that's the name of the company). I know a cheap place to get them for $12, but I won't be home till sunday evening. There is no specific maxima application, but the sentra and 200sx bushings are exactly the same. Like I said, most shifters availble for maximas also fit altimas, sentras, 200sx, etc...they are pretty generic. The one I'm gonna prototype will be specifically adapted for 4th gens.

Jae
Old 01-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm so hood

Jamier - I'd consider just trying a different **** first for feel, esp what with the wife and her dislike of short throws. Something where the thread runs through to the very top of the **** to make your hand feel more connected with the actual lever. The stock ****, I haven't taken it off myself but the top of the lever is probably halfway up the ****, maybe someone else can vouch for me. One thing to keep in mind here is Mazda shift levers have the same thread length, so all the ***** avail for Miatas apply.

And yes, the lever does tilt a little away from the driver than most rides. My last car's angle was the same in third as the max is in first. Basically the reverse of a mustang. I like the 2-3 and 3-4 action a lot in the max because of the angle, but I sit with a minor inside-gangsta-lean with my elbow resting on the armrest. Not the best posture for your back.