4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upgrading my Max? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 06:03 PM

Upgrading my Max? Help?

Ok, I have a 95' Maxima SE, with 92,000 miles on it. It is my everyday driver. I want to upgrade the suspension components, so that it handles better and I would like to upgrade the clutch/Shifter because I don't like the clutch pickup and the shifter throws remind me of my grandpa's 82 dodge pickup (long and slow). I also am upgrading from my 17' wheels to 18' wheels.

Anywho, what suspension components would you guys recommend? I just want the car to handle better, I don't think I want it lowered as it is an everyday driver. Is there any components at this mileage I should be checking or upgrading, the car just seems to handle SLOW it kinda wallows into a turn, maybe the springs/shocks/motor mounts?? It definetly does not inspire confidence in the turn, as I corner harder in my Denali XL! The Denali is an 02' with everything fresh and tight, my max just feels all wrong in a turn.

The Clutch? Do all Maxima clutches suck this bad? 1st and 2nd, gear is always a chore to find the launch spot.

Is there a recommended replacement clutch?????

Shifting feels like I am shifting a MACK truck and not a maxima, what short throw shifter do you guys recommend.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Maxima95Tuner

If you dont want the car lowered, you are kinda screwed. Most of the best handling equipment lowers your car at the same time. If you want to go all out, get coilovers, a camber kit, and Anti-sway bars. Also some strut bars couldnt hurt. Just get all that suspension hardware tightened up.

As far as the clutch goes, I cant really help you there. Mine is an Automagic, but my mom's 96 maxima is a 5 speed, and I do notice that I have a little trouble in first and second. She is getting to the point that she will need a new clutch soon anyways.

Short shifters... I thought most of them were the same, just with different names. I could be wrong though.

Hope this helped.

-Chris

Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Maxima95Tuner
If you dont want the car lowered, you are kinda screwed. Most of the best handling equipment lowers your car at the same time.
Not true.

Change the struts to Tokico Blues or better yet KYB AGX.
Put new sway bar end link bushings in.
Install a front strut tower brace.
Install a rear sway bar.
Put some nice rubber on the road.

You'll be amazed at how nicely your car will drive and handle. You don't need to lower your car to hang with the big boys. My car handles almost the same up or down. I have all of the above equipment installed. I lower it in the summer and raise it back up in the winter. It handles awsome at both levels. With the stock springs it handles rough roads much better. Lowered with H&R's it's just a bit tighter in the twisties and a bit harsher on rough roads.

If you don't mind the gap, don't lower it. You'll keep that sweet ride and enjoy driving it that much more. The AGX's take out 90% of the body roll and maintain a descent ride. There nice firm struts!

UP

OR DOWN