4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

?'s about mod's

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 01:37 PM
rockymtnmax

I'm ready to spend some bucks on mod's for my stock 95 SE.
First let me say I'd like to keep it somewhat original.
I already have some 2000 SE wheels (5 spoke)to put on and I was thinking of going with 225/55/16 tires but dont know which tire brand yet. any idea's on that?

Performence-I need some more power but want very little noise change. I'm thinking -Y pipe and cat also CAI.
Will there be much sound increase in these. What other ideas?

Suspension- I'm sold on FSB. others I dont know yet. but keep in mind I'm on original struts and stuff that may be ready for replacement.

Lighting-I really want better lighting but I dont want to upgrade the wire harness. I think bighter whites maybe a hint of blue would look cool, but I dont know which brands or watts to look at. This goes for all the lights outside. I seen front clears advertized but can you do rear clears or is that illegal.

I have around 80,000 miles on the Max so some parts will need to be replaced due to wear and tear anyway.
So any Ideads for getting the most noticeble changes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Eric

Old 01-07-2001, 01:58 PM

FOr lighting

you should deffinatly get the clear bumper lenses , also for lighting you should get Eurolite superwhites, or the apc. i have the eurolites and they seem to be doing the job
they are fairly cheap , the piaa's are just white and they cost alot more.

Suspension the fstb is a good start i would like to get rid of the maximas 4 X 4 gap as soon as i have some extra cash
im thinkin about the sprint / tokico setup

the cai will make alot of noise at WOT which means if u dont press u wont hear.
Old 01-07-2001, 02:05 PM
rockymtnmax

tunedup
you mentioned..
Eurolite superwhites, or the apc will I need harness upgrade
also where do you buy them?

Whats 4x4 gap?

About CAI, is it a good sound? and is only when you punch it?

Old 01-07-2001, 09:20 PM
cliffp

good suggestions

for your tires, get the kumho ecsta 225/50/16, i've got them on my 99 gxe with the konig rush, it looks good and handles great. very inexpensive, just go to discount tires. they will help you out.

Old 01-07-2001, 09:28 PM
cliffp

springs

sorry, i should have told you also that i also have the maxspeed springs, people told me not to cut them, but i did anyway ( 1 coil only ), i'm so glad that i did because if you didn't, they look like 4x4's. i bought my maxspeed for $ 130.00 local ( seattle ). it looks really good and handles excellent, ride quality is also good ( i think ). these are just my honest opinions.

Old 01-07-2001, 09:47 PM
OG

For suspension, I'd definetly get a RSB. You can get one from either Stillen or Addco. Stillens is adjustable and costs way more than Addco's. Addco's isn't adjustable. It's a necessity along with the FSTB. Whatever type of intake you get, it's gonna be loud WOT. They say the CAI is loud to people outside the car and a popcharger is loud to people inside the car. It's worth it though, trust me. Y-pipe is one of the best mods you can get for the Max. In conjunction with an intake, it adds about 20hp at the wheels(so I hear). It also drops 11lbs of dead weight.

Hey cliffp, what does your Max look like? I might have seen you this weekend around the market area or on 1st ave.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:01 PM
cliffp

wa sa be

i have a 99 black gxe with konig 16 rush w/ 225/50/16 kumho tires, dropped i mean dropped than normal. no i was not at the market this weekend, i'll see if i can get some pics for you to see, and get your opinion. ayt.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:35 PM

Smoothmax is right.
Any intake mod you do will increase noise but:
a. It's a great sound
b. When you're not flooring it, it's quiet.

I have the CAI, but check this out before you make a decision...

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html

If you want quiet, get the Cattman y-pipe - though I hear that Stillen's recent two peice design is quieter than the previous Stillen y-pipe. But WOT or not, the Cattman remains rather quiet. (I've got Cattman BTW).

But I really like my Stillen RSB. I like to tinker with my mods and I've already adjusted the RSB twice now.

Have fun!
Old 01-08-2001, 07:34 AM
rockymtnmax

Thanks all,
I think I'll try jwt-pop and cattman y-pipe. will I need
any extendsions or other parts for the y-pipe install?

thanks again,E

Old 01-08-2001, 07:56 AM
OG

None that I know of. Just don't forget to get new gaskets when putting in the new y-pipe. I'm not sure if cattman includes it or not. Have fun.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:46 AM
rockymtnmax

O.K. so I may go with a new headlight harness.
but what and where do I look for it? is it called a 100w
harness or a upgrade harness or what???

and I'm sold on the front strut bar and the rear sway bars
but whats a good brand?
I see a front bar on Ebay for 40.00 bucks anyone think its
any good?
about the rear sway bar, I heard adjustable is the way to
go so who sells that?

Thanks E

Old 01-08-2001, 09:56 AM
MaxRX7

the suspension is the first thing to do

then lighting(if it needs improvement)
then more power.

put on a good set of tires, and if the shocks are worn out then replace them with aftermarket ones(you might want to get new springs as well).

All the RSB and FSTB do the job just as well, it all depends on the looks and price you want to pay.