4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally got my Y-Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Finally got my Y-Pipe!

Wow, I can't believe how quick it came. I talked to budget last week on Thursday and he said they were shipping it out on Friday. Well, it came today!(Wednesday) Here are some pics..

They are on Page 4 of my website.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/98maxsel
Old 02-05-2003, 04:46 PM

Re: Finally got my Y-Pipe!

Originally posted by 98maxsel
Wow, I can't believe how quick it came. I talked to budget last week on Thursday and he said they were shipping it out on Friday. Well, it came today!(Wednesday) Here are some pics..

niiice! budget is awesome, they shipped mine out in about the same time. it's been on my car since about june oh this past summer... i'm 100% happy with everything!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:46 PM

oh yea. how much did you guys pay someone to put it on, if you didn't do it yourself? It only takes 30 min. - 1 hour. right?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Finally got my Y-Pipe!

oh yea. how much did you guys pay someone to put it on, if you didn't do it yourself? It only takes 30 min. - 1 hour. right?
I have taken my stock Y-pipe off, and it only took me 20 min to take it off. It's not very difficult, you just need to have the right tools for the job.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:31 AM
RKS

budget y

I got mine on yesterday. I did not reset the ecu yet but the butt dyno says no gain
Old 02-06-2003, 07:38 AM

Re: budget y

Originally posted by RKS
I got mine on yesterday. I did not reset the ecu yet but the butt dyno says no gain
are you cli spec or fed spec... how can you have no gain???
Old 02-06-2003, 07:43 AM

hey, no one still answered my question.. how much did you guys pay to have y installed??? on the average????
Old 02-06-2003, 07:45 AM

$40
Old 02-06-2003, 08:02 AM

Drive it on the highway and pass somebody. You'll feel it.

DW

Originally posted by RKS
Old 02-06-2003, 09:39 AM
RKS

Re: Re: budget y

are you cli spec or fed spec... how can you have no gain???
fed spec

butt dyno maybe kinda numb from the cold spell????

as far as installation;
I was rear-ended a few months ago and I had the body shop purchase and install the y-pipe under the claim (my exhaust was kind of pushed forward)

I also had them use a plasma cutter on my computer's side and top panel, custom cut and insert a plexi window in the side and finally give it the same paint job as the Maxi.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Recently added y-pipe and b-pipe fix to my popcharger - she's so fast its scary. Soon as I figure how to get this ECU out, she's off to g-force for a vacation.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by RKS
I made a post when I first installed my y-pipe stating that my butt dyno was broken! I didn't feel a big gain at first either. It took my car about 2 weeks to actually adapt to the y-pipe for some reason? My intake got real quiet when I installed my y-pipe, then over the next couple weeks it started to get louder again. Was very strange?

Anyway, long story short. Track times showed a gain of a .4 sec and 4-5mph in my 1/4 mile times.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:11 PM

hey, no one still answered my question.. how much did you guys pay to have y installed??? on the average????
I put mine on by myself,but my bro toke it to the shop and they charge $65.00 for the 2k1.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:16 PM

$40
Old 02-07-2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by RKS
Reset the ecu??I've never heard it was nesscesary to reset the ecu after y pipe is installed?Is it nesscesary .Infact i never heard anyone reseting the ecu after installing their y pipe?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Playboycutie69

where did u guys get ur y-pipe installed? At those shops how much did u pay to get it done? DOes anybody know about how long will it take to clear make red and clear tail lights for a 1997 max and where this is done also?

Old 02-07-2003, 05:14 AM

Wow, I can't believe how quick it came. I talked to budget last week on Thursday and he said they were shipping it out on Friday. Well, it came today!(Wednesday)
When I ordered my B-pipe it was shipped out on a Friday, and delivered on the following Monday...talk about quick
Old 02-07-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by Playboycutie69
At those shops how much did u pay to get it done?

Read the posts yo!
I think everyone was saying $40-60...
Ofcourse, I paid nothing, because I
drove to Budget and they installed it

as for the red/clears...SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH,
I know that I got my instructions from the .org.

thanks .org

FLO_BOY
Old 02-07-2003, 07:25 AM

i would drive to budget but they are 13 hours from me. hahah

anyone go to a muffler shop like meinekee and get it done?

Dan
Old 02-07-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by dpassino
i would drive to budget but they are 13 hours from me. hahah

anyone go to a muffler shop like meinekee and get it done?

Dan
Meinekee quoted me $125 to install my ypipe, so I told them to shove it. You'd be better off going to a private shop.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by mitch33x

Meinekee quoted me $125 to install my ypipe, so I told them to shove it. You'd be better off going to a private shop.
Don't go to those big chain store,they are going to charge you an arm and leg,some might not even want to put it on too.Just take it to any private shop or even any auto shop.Hence you can even try to put it on your self but make sure you spray a lots of wd40 on all the bolts before you try to take it off.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:05 AM

I brought mine to Mineke...they did it for $40, but I have ended up going back 3 times to get it right, yet it's still not right.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: budget y

Originally posted by ivan25

Reset the ecu??I've never heard it was nesscesary to reset the ecu after y pipe is installed?Is it nesscesary .Infact i never heard anyone reseting the ecu after installing their y pipe?
Look at maximadriver, warpspeed, and any other install directions. Everyone recommends resetting the ECU. When I did my install I reset the ECU right of the control unit and not just by disconnection the battery.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Is it more advisable to reset ECU that way rather than battery disconnect?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:02 PM
ChristheNite

Originally posted by Playboycutie69
where did u guys get ur y-pipe installed? At those shops how much did u pay to get it done? DOes anybody know about how long will it take to clear make red and clear tail lights for a 1997 max and where this is done also?

Old 04-15-2003, 12:14 PM

Are Y-pipes for 99 SE's mod-friendly with the ECU, OBDII, an the o2 sensors??
Old 04-15-2003, 12:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: budget y

how does one reset the ECU?

Originally posted by breaux124

Look at maximadriver, warpspeed, and any other install directions. Everyone recommends resetting the ECU. When I did my install I reset the ECU right of the control unit and not just by disconnection the battery.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: budget y

Originally posted by joew
how does one reset the ECU?

http://www.brianv.net/mods/ecu/
Old 04-15-2003, 02:09 PM

[B]Are Y-pipes for 99 SE's mod-friendly with the ECU, OBDII, an the o2 sensors??

Yes, mine has had no problems at all. all of the holes are there for the o2 sensors and i never tripped a code. Later i got the PRcai only in hai form(no saw) and still no problems.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:33 PM

i'm going to get my y-pipe put on soon, is it necessary to reset the ECU or will i still get the same gains without resetting it?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:09 PM

As far as i know there is still a lot of debate about the ecu reset. some say no reset, some say yes reset. For the yes reset there are those who say to just unplug the battery, some say just for a second, others say for at least 24 hours. Others still say to reset the ecu by actually going through the process of manually reseting it.

personally i just reset it by unplugging the battery for a second(i hate dealing with car electronics and such) and i noticed immediate gains in power, mostly my tires spinning wildly and huge torque steer above around 3500 rpms.

good luck and remember you can try all of them. youll just have to reset your clock and radio stations
Old 04-15-2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
As far as i know there is still a lot of debate about the ecu reset. some say no reset, some say yes reset. For the yes reset there are those who say to just unplug the battery, some say just for a second, others say for at least 24 hours. Others still say to reset the ecu by actually going through the process of manually reseting it.

personally i just reset it by unplugging the battery for a second(i hate dealing with car electronics and such) and i noticed immediate gains in power, mostly my tires spinning wildly and huge torque steer above around 3500 rpms.

good luck and remember you can try all of them. youll just have to reset your clock and radio stations
i checked brianv's link on resetting it (in one of the earlier posts on this thread). is unplugging it easier than his method, and how do you go about unplugging it?

-Moe
Old 04-15-2003, 09:46 PM

well like i said i hate electronics. all you have to do to reset by disconecting the battery is open your hood(duh), youll need a metric tool set, i used a ratchet with an extension. on the side of the battery terminals(those two humps + & -) there are bolts(one for each terminal). loosen these and pull the metal rings/clamps, whatever you call them off the terminals. this is the point where you can immediately reattach them or leave them off for the magic 24 hours.

IMPORTANT when you retighten the clamp thingies to the terminals be sure to put them on the terminals even by holding the clamps down on 2 sides.

its easy, and if and when you do this, it would be a good time to clean any corrosion from your terminals. i use water mixed with baking soda to clean them off.

good luck
Old 04-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Playboycutie69

Originally posted by DJ Moe Green
i'm going to get my y-pipe put on soon, is it necessary to reset the ECU or will i still get the same gains without resetting it?
I saw the gains without resetting. then after I reset I saw more gains.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
well like i said i hate electronics. all you have to do to reset by disconecting the battery is open your hood(duh), youll need a metric tool set, i used a ratchet with an extension. on the side of the battery terminals(those two humps + & -) there are bolts(one for each terminal). loosen these and pull the metal rings/clamps, whatever you call them off the terminals. this is the point where you can immediately reattach them or leave them off for the magic 24 hours.

IMPORTANT when you retighten the clamp thingies to the terminals be sure to put them on the terminals even by holding the clamps down on 2 sides.

its easy, and if and when you do this, it would be a good time to clean any corrosion from your terminals. i use water mixed with baking soda to clean them off.

good luck

thanks man

-Moe
Old 04-16-2003, 08:00 AM

Two question regarding the Y-pipe....Do you get what you pay for as far as Budget Y pipe and the Stillen I think it is? Also, I don't race or anything like that, in fact my car is totally stock right, but I do like to drive rather fast. My question is would a Y Pipe make a difference in day to day driving? I am getting a K&N drop in filter but that's about all....
Old 04-16-2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by supercobraz
Two question regarding the Y-pipe....Do you get what you pay for as far as Budget Y pipe and the Stillen I think it is? Also, I don't race or anything like that, in fact my car is totally stock right, but I do like to drive rather fast. My question is would a Y Pipe make a difference in day to day driving? I am getting a K&N drop in filter but that's about all....
yeah
Old 04-16-2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30

yeah
That's the answer...YEAH? YEAH to what? No, just kidden...I take that as a yeah to both questions
Old 04-16-2003, 08:36 AM
I H8 COPS

That's the answer...YEAH? YEAH to what? No, just kidden...I take that as a yeah to both questions
Ha ha!

Old 04-16-2003, 08:40 AM

I would say get the Budget Y-pipe. You'll save money, get a quality product, and receive the same performance gains as any other Y-pipe.
*PS- I'm being objective. I've had a Warpspeed, and now own a Cattman, so I'm not pushing what I have. I've seen Budget's pipe firsthand and it might not be as pretty too look at, but it get the job done and does the same function as all other Y-pipes.

And yes you'll feel the gains. I noticed a big difference in 50+MPH driving, the car pulls much more.

Quick Reply: Finally got my Y-Pipe!