4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

I'm sure there's someone who has a VI and is also running nitrous.

All the talk of a JWT ECUs with a VI is making me want more power, but unfortunately being a '99 I'll never get an ECU. Since I am limited in my rpms (~6500), and I wouldn't want an ECU with nitrous anyway I'm starting to do more research.

Does anyone have a dyno with a VI and nitrous? I'm also open to other suggestions on alternative routes to take besides nitrous. I can't afford a turbo now, but maybe in the future.
-hype
Old 02-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Nitrous and VI should be a nice combo. You really don't have to worry about the torque loss in the lower RPM range because nitrous will make plenty. With nitrous and USDM manifold, I still get the same HP dip after 5K rpm.

Originally posted by xHypex
I'm sure there's someone who has a VI and is also running nitrous.

All the talk of a JWT ECUs with a VI is making me want more power, but unfortunately being a '99 I'll never get an ECU. Since I am limited in my rpms (~6500), and I wouldn't want an ECU with nitrous anyway I'm starting to do more research.

Does anyone have a dyno with a VI and nitrous? I'm also open to other suggestions on alternative routes to take besides nitrous. I can't afford a turbo now, but maybe in the future.
-hype
Old 02-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Nitrous and VI should be a nice combo. You really don't have to worry about the torque loss in the lower RPM range because nitrous will make plenty. With nitrous and USDM manifold, I still get the same HP dip after 5K rpm.

Tony, what about the use of the MEVI with a wet kit, single fogger? Won't the fuel puddle when the "air chamber" is opened?

Old 02-06-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by Ramius83

Tony, what about the use of the MEVI with a wet kit, single fogger? Won't the fuel puddle when the "air chamber" is opened?
I was curious about that too. It seems that in this case a dry kit might be the best option with a VI. I'm open to opinions, but the VI throws new variables into the mix.
-hype
Old 02-06-2003, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by xHypex

I was curious about that too. It seems that in this case a dry kit might be the best option with a VI. I'm open to opinions, but the VI throws new variables into the mix.
-hype
There are many Variable Intake Honda/Integra's using NX with excellent success.

I was told a year ago by many people on here I couldn't run a wet kit on the standard manifold.

There are still people saying it.

I would probably buy the MEVI but I haven't seen much improvement in acceleration to make me want to spend that much money.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by Jime
I was told a year ago by many people on here I couldn't run a wet kit on the standard manifold.

There are still people saying it.
Kind sir, I will be switching to wet system. under 50hp, for this season, thank you for proving me wrong! I like the tunability of the wet much better.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Kind sir, I will be switching to wet system. under 50hp, for this season, thank you for proving me wrong! I like the tunability of the wet much better.
I wasn't referring to you Matt. But I did have quite a few folks say not to do it.

Actually I think you should stick with your present kit it will keep your times down. Last thing we need is your car going faster.

You will love the wet, much easier. I love simple.

I am working on a few things for this year but want to wait till the track opens before I make any noise about it being any better than what I have now.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

So, does the extra flow of the VI really effect the nitrous variables at all (fuel pressure, EGT, A/F, etc.)?
-hype
Old 02-06-2003, 01:45 PM

I have run a 40 shot dry with 10psi and I did see a blip in the dyno chart but nothing bad.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Re: Anyone with a VI running nitrous?

I don't know. Nobody would know for sure until someone tries it. It won't be a problem with direct port since where the nozzles would be the butterfly.

Originally posted by Ramius83

Old 02-06-2003, 07:58 PM

I was gonna run DPI on my mevi, expect that I didnt trust myself to tap the manifold and bend the tubing neatly so I brought it a shop. After telling the owner exactly what I wanted he went and tapped the underside of the manifold, he then told me that he went to nissan and got "schematics" and that it would fit fine. Of course the foggers where hitting on the rear valve cover and injectors if I remeber correctly. I never did get the nitrous running, I ended up going with FI and never got back to the nitrous....maybe in the future though.