4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 06:49 PM
ivelweyz

Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

So far, after 2 days I am VERY satisfied. Since I left the lower air-box and tubing in place it isn't very loud, low V8 sounding burble is there. Great news is that the low end torque I lost with the APEXi is back and better than ever. Before getting to 2000rpm was sluggish, now it's like haulin' ***. I followed the directions from here http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html
It helped a bit, the pipe ended up being only like 4-6 inches, the hose was 1/2" not 5/8". I ordered a cone filter with MAF adapter for a 3rd gen but it was a perfect fit on my '96. There is a high pitched hissing sound when you start the car but I think only dogs might notice it. I also cleaned the TB while doing the intake, so much nasty gunk that I couldn't believe it. One thing though, was I supposed to sparay the entire can into the TB after cleaning around the butterfly plate or no. It didn't say that on the bottle but many people say that that's what they did. I wanna try it with the lower air-box out and see what happens. I think it will get louder but the air might not be as cool, also I might move the snorkle from right beneath the hood to where the bumper opening is...

Old 02-06-2003, 07:04 PM
AssyrianRacer

Dope man

Man I heard that Franken car based there design off this and improved here and there. This is the best way to go if not going franken car.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:55 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Dope man

Originally posted by AssyrianRacer
Man I heard that Franken car based there design off this and improved here and there. This is the best way to go if not going franken car.
I was going to get a FRANKENCAR, I love that thing. But with only around $200 I decided to make my own intake and get a BUDGET Y-pipe instead. Now my car can breathe, breathe with the APEXi WS, Intake and soon (march, when it warms up) y-pipe. Also got my DC
($35 shipped) corners in the dresser waiting to be put on this saturday...

Old 02-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice job for custom. I like it. What do you think of having a midpipe? Good?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM

looks good but why's it gotta be ghetto??
Old 02-06-2003, 08:44 PM

Re: Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

One question. What did you do with the air-intake temperature sensor that was connected to the top of your stock black box? I checked out the link you gave, but it doesn't say, or show, what he did with it, either. thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 08:50 PM

Re: Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

One question. What did you do with the air-intake temperature sensor that was connected to the top of your stock black box? I checked out the link you gave, but it doesn't say, or show, what he did with it, either. thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 08:56 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Re: Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

Originally posted by pbutta4
I wrapped it around the midpipe( over the top, and then under) and taped it with some duct tape(ghetto?!) unde there so that it is right in front of the opening where the air comes out of the long tube. Like I said before I LOVE this thing. Went out just to cruise around after making this thread and I noticed it got a bit louder, meaner.

Here's another idea I was thinking about. Wouldn't getting M3 style fenders help the filter breathe better. The cuts on the quarter panel look to be around the same area where the intake sits. You could run a very short hose with like a snorkle straight into the filter. Thing is I'm not sure whether the holes on the fenders are actually through the entie fender or just on the surface, for looks...

Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 PM

Re: Re: Custom (home made, ghetto) intake installed!!!

Originally posted by pbutta4
On the 95-96 the intake air temp sensor was on the box,if you have a k/n with the flat top like stillen,you can drill three holes on the filter to put the sensor in for a nice and clean installation.That's what i did on mine.Just my $.02
Old 02-07-2003, 06:25 PM
ivelweyz

UPDATE

After putting another 40 miles on the intake I noticed it got meaner and louder. I am liking it more and more every time I drive the car. Also torque seems to be getting better and better throughout the entire RPM's. The difference in torque in the low RPM range is SICK. I swear, even when it was stock it didn't wanna break the tires loose so easily. Worried whether I might lose some of the torque when the Y goes on...

Old 02-07-2003, 06:36 PM

Yeah guys, I made my own intake off the instructions on the website that was postedHERE and I LOVE IT..it is soooooo much louder than just an air filter. My friend wanted to here it while we were driving som i gunned it and the drivers of the two cars next to us looked at us with like a shocked look..ITS SOOOOO WORTH IT. It also only cost me just over $15. BTW i made it 2 nights ago
Old 02-08-2003, 11:38 AM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by MoDiddy
Yeah guys, I made my own intake off the instructions on the website that was postedHERE and I LOVE IT..it is soooooo much louder than just an air filter. My friend wanted to here it while we were driving som i gunned it and the drivers of the two cars next to us looked at us with like a shocked look..ITS SOOOOO WORTH IT. It also only cost me just over $15. BTW i made it 2 nights ago
Did you remove the lowere air-box and the entire snorkle and tubing???

Old 02-08-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by ivelweyz

Did you remove the lowere air-box and the entire snorkle and tubing???
well i didnt remove the Lower airbox, but if you look at the Pics on the website thats exactly what mine looks like...i also removed the big square thing whatever that is
Old 02-09-2003, 08:37 AM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by MoDiddy

well i didnt remove the Lower airbox, but if you look at the Pics on the website thats exactly what mine looks like...i also removed the big square thing whatever that is
The big sqaure thing it the top air-box, the lower air box is right beneath the filter. In the pics on the website the guy removed the snorkle but I'm not sure whether the long tube was left in place...

Old 02-09-2003, 08:49 AM

I'm going to work on mine this week, I'm glad to hear yours came out well. I'm going to leave the lower air box and just rest the new filter in it. It can't hurt to leave the snorkel feeding fresh(er) air to the intake.

Did you add a third nipple to the midpipe for the crankcase hose, or did you use a breather filter like the instructions? I'm just going to add another nipple and save myself the $12 for the filter.

-Ace-
Old 02-10-2003, 02:08 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by AceTKK
I'm going to work on mine this week, I'm glad to hear yours came out well. I'm going to leave the lower air box and just rest the new filter in it. It can't hurt to leave the snorkel feeding fresh(er) air to the intake.

Did you add a third nipple to the midpipe for the crankcase hose, or did you use a breather filter like the instructions? I'm just going to add another nipple and save myself the $12 for the filter.

-Ace-
I used the breather filter. It cost $8 at AUTOZONE. The hole on the breather was really small and no way would it fit on the engine. What I did was take the hose that was running from top of engine compartment(one being replaced with the 5/8") and cut a piece of it off so it fits over the engine nipple and the breather filter. What I'm gonna do is get a strip of metal and screw it from top of filter(top right screw holding filter to MAF) to and empty screw hole right above it so that it's stable and doesn't move around...

Old 02-10-2003, 02:42 PM

i also used a breather filter. i think its better than drilling another hole in the midpipe and risk the chance of more air leaking (as with the other 2 holes in it already) unless u have some kind of sealant. my breather was also too small to fit over the opening. but the fitting is rubber so i stretched it over. the only prob. i had was the breather filter couldnt clear the bracket and hose behind it, so i bent them slightly out of the way (hope that doesnt mess anything up)
Old 02-10-2003, 03:07 PM

MIP adaptor?

So I am in Lowe's plumbing dept. and looking for this adaptor. Looking, looking, asking, they're looking, and nothing. The only thing close was a half-inch pipe threaded at both ends. If anybody knows the EXACT name and location of the adaptor it will be much appreciated. thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 03:35 PM

man u owe me big time for this "pbutta4" i had to dig thru my nasty *** trash for the receipt! well here it is the number is 22732- 1/2" metal m adapt. it cost me 1.67 if u tell them the number im sure they can locate it for u . good luck
Old 02-10-2003, 03:54 PM

Just posted pics of my intake w/ home made adapter. Tell me what you think!!

Home made intake
Old 02-10-2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by digdug555
man u owe me big time for this "pbutta4" i had to dig thru my nasty *** trash for the receipt! well here it is the number is 22732- 1/2" metal m adapt. it cost me 1.67 if u tell them the number im sure they can locate it for u . good luck
I really appreciate it, man. My newbie a$$ would have been lost w/o it. thanks, peace
Old 02-10-2003, 11:59 PM

Re: Dope man

Originally posted by AssyrianRacer
You heard wrong buddy...

* As for the MIP adapter, its a 1/2" to 5/8" MIP barb adapter. You usually have to look for it yourself. In Lowes, you'll find it in the plumbing section in the little drawers marked "barb adapters/hose ends."
Old 02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
ivelweyz

Re: Re: Dope man

Originally posted by NightRider

You heard wrong buddy...

* As for the MIP adapter, its a 1/2" to 5/8" MIP barb adapter. You usually have to look for it yourself. In Lowes, you'll find it in the plumbing section in the little drawers marked "barb adapters/hose ends."
Don't get that one. The hole you will have to drill for the 5/8" is very wide and the pipe has bigger chance of leaking. I found some weird looking thing in a friend's garage and used that. The hole was just as small as the smaller adapter. It sorta looked like, 1/2" thread, above that a round part then square part then again round part??? Don't ask. By the way now getting 220 miles to a tank instead of 200. Still crap but better, gonna put on new oil filter tomorrow and maybe cut some holes in the lower air box...

Old 02-11-2003, 05:24 PM

didn't even use the MIP adaptor

I found a piece of electrical conduit piping that measured about 1 foot long by half-inch wide in the electrical dept. at lowes. I drilled a half-inch hole into my intake pipe then had a local muffler shop weld it to the hole for a flush fit. I think it looks good, I'll have some pics up a.s.a.p. However, I might have to change the hose from the IAC to the new pipe since it isn't as flexible anymore, but it is still sealed for now. Also, in order for the coupling to fit even the flared end of intake pipe I had to wrap it w/electrical tape untill it fit.

thanks a lot for the help on my first custom performance piece.