4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

maximas being too loud...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 04:06 PM

maximas being too loud...

Ok, you guys can call me crazy or whatever you'd like but I dont care. All of you seem to be saying that your car is too loud and all of that jazz...I would have to disagree. Maybe my ears are shot, or maybe my consideration of "too loud" is far different. I have intake, y pipe and stillen muffler and some tell me the car is too loud but I dont really think so and would like it to be a little louder actually, hopefully a high flow cat and b pipe in the spring time. I just dont exactly see how you think your cars are too loud and you're putting all these resonators on the exhaust. Maybe its twice as loud as my car..???? Who knows, there is a point where it gets too loud, and that is the equivalent of something like a 72 chevelle SS 454 w/ straight through exhaust and no mufflers- thats the most i could tolerate. Do you guys think I'll end up regretting the new cat and b pipe if i buy them (as far as sound goes)? I have an idea for a custom made exhaust w/ no restrictions what so ever. I'll let you know how that goes when I fabricating it.
Justin
Old 02-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Sin

Re: maximas being too loud...

Originally posted by venompwr2
Ok, you guys can call me crazy or whatever you'd like but I dont care. All of you seem to be saying that your car is too loud and all of that jazz...I would have to disagree. Maybe my ears are shot, or maybe my consideration of "too loud" is far different. I have intake, y pipe and stillen muffler and some tell me the car is too loud but I dont really think so and would like it to be a little louder actually, hopefully a high flow cat and b pipe in the spring time. I just dont exactly see how you think your cars are too loud and you're putting all these resonators on the exhaust. Maybe its twice as loud as my car..???? Who knows, there is a point where it gets too loud, and that is the equivalent of something like a 72 chevelle SS 454 w/ straight through exhaust and no mufflers- thats the most i could tolerate. Do you guys think I'll end up regretting the new cat and b pipe if i buy them (as far as sound goes)? I have an idea for a custom made exhaust w/ no restrictions what so ever. I'll let you know how that goes when I fabricating it.
Justin
Thats because you still have some of your stock exhaust. Get a high flow cat, a b-pipe with no resonator, and come back and tell us just how loud you think it is then.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:16 PM

I have to say that after having a fairly loud CRX for over a year, and now getting used to a quiet Maxima, that I prefer the louder of the two (sound speaking...not brand). It is nice to be so tuned in to your car's performance and characteristics that looking at the tachometer is secondary to recognising how fast your engine is going with the exhaust note. I am constantly wondering what I'm taching at with the Max and am forced to look down to the instruments. I will be getting a new b-pipe, as well as a cat-back system and intake this spring and can hardly wait. It doesn't have to be obnoxious...just loud enough to be useful in "sport driving".

Spence
Old 02-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want noise, I may be selling my Gen 1 V1 SC this summer.

It's WAY loud!

Old 02-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Justin
I agree, I have a greedy catback cattman y-pipe and stillen high flow intake and at 65 you can barley here it.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by iansw
If you want noise, I may be selling my Gen 1 V1 SC this summer.

It's WAY loud!

PRICE!?
Old 02-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Dev

Justin
when you remove all the resonators, the volume of sound will increase, however the quality will greatly decrease. it will sound like you drive a civic with fart cans. straight through exhaust systems and imports don't mix very well as far as sound is concerned. if you take out all the resonators, you will end up with a raspy annoying sound, that might be alright in terms of volume, but you'll be embarrassed to look at the other drives on the road from the disgusting tone.
i recommend keeping the resonator in the bpipe at least.