4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Done installing y-pipe...........horrible sound in 1st and 2nd, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Done installing y-pipe...........horrible sound in 1st and 2nd, HELP

OK, so i finished installing the pipe adn took it for a test run.......nasty. When i am in 1st gear or 2nd accelerating normally i hear a big metallicish sounds like something is loose. Like a screw is loose possibly This is only at 1000-2500 rpm. I retighted everything twice and the seals look tight. Its still there. I dont know what to do.

From iside the car it sounds like it is coming from immediatly inside the dash.

What im thinking right now is that the ring part is not on properly adn is making noise, but im not sure.????????

i checked:

o2 sensors tight
y-pipe -> cat is very tight

EDIT********************************************** *********************************

I have fixed the problem by removing 1 item and bend 2 other parts. It is quite and until now i have not yet test the bounds of my y-pipe, but it is well worth it. Anyway i have included a pic of the adjustments. I know this will help someone as it would have severly help me understand what you guys were trying to tell me in the first place.
http://home.socal.rr.com/dhan/DSC02233.JPG

- dhan
Old 02-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

if its a vibrating rattling sound... its the y pipe hitting the cat bracket... your choices are to wedge the y pipe back towards the driver side of the car, take the cat bracket off.. or put something between the cat bracket and the body
Old 02-09-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
if its a vibrating rattling sound... its the y pipe hitting the cat bracket... your choices are to wedge the y pipe back towards the driver side of the car, take the cat bracket off.. or put something between the cat bracket and the body
crap.........more work . it seems like now matter how preapared one can be something must go wrong. I will investigate tomm. hopefully one of thosework but if not do not i hope a solution will present itself. thanks sprint for answering my posts
Old 02-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Mad Dhan

crap.........more work . it seems like now matter how preapared one can be something must go wrong. I will investigate tomm. hopefully of those do not work a solution will present itself. thanks sprint for answering my posts
no problemo
Old 02-09-2003, 06:59 PM

1st: did you get all new gaskets? specially for the ypipe-cat?
2nd: Is your hanger there? that holds up the ypipe to the bottem of your car
3rd: the smoke could be from the deruster you used, happened to me too
Old 02-09-2003, 07:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yep, sounds like your Y-pipe is rubbing on the cat bracket, I had the same problem with my last car when I first put my Warpspeed Y-pipe on. I just used some washers to space it over, and filed the bracket down a little, but until I did that, It sounded awfull! Good luck!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:29 PM

I agree also. Just check your connections and maybe put a spacer of some sort in between.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by FarbsMaxima
1st: did you get all new gaskets? specially for the ypipe-cat?
2nd: Is your hanger there? that holds up the ypipe to the bottem of your car
3rd: the smoke could be from the deruster you used, happened to me too
1. yes i use all the new gaskets supplied, especially the pipe-cat one
2.hanger is htere
3.That does make sense, hopefully if it is the smoke it will gone tomm and that will no longer be a worry

do i really need the hanger?

Originally posted by mtrai760
Yep, sounds like your Y-pipe is rubbing on the cat bracket, I had the same problem with my last car when I first put my Warpspeed Y-pipe on. I just used some washers to space it over, and filed the bracket down a little, but until I did that, It sounded awfull! : ( Good luck!

Cool, i bought the warpspeed too. Can u explain what u mean by put "washers to space it over"? Do u know what is the actually part of the bracket that is making this sound?

It still sounds like it coming from behind the dash tho so i am feeling like the bracket is not it and im gonna be screwed. Unless of course the sounds is resonating through the pipe which would explain that. Is that how yours sounded?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:50 AM

1. yes i use all the new gaskets supplied, especially the pipe-cat one
2.hanger is htere
3.That does make sense, hopefully if it is the smoke it will gone tomm and that will no longer be a worry

do i really need the hanger?

Cool, i bought the warpspeed too. Can u explain what u mean by put "washers to space it over"? Do u know what is the actually part of the bracket that is making this sound?

It still sounds like it coming from behind the dash tho so i am feeling like the bracket is not it and im gonna be screwed. Unless of course the sounds is resonating through the pipe which would explain that. Is that how yours sounded?
Just bend the cat bracket a little to the passenger side and it should go away.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:03 PM

took the whole thing apart and put it back. fiddled with bracket and adjusted it like u guys suggested. still no go
Old 02-11-2003, 01:31 PM

took the whole thing apart and put it back. fiddled with bracket and adjusted it like u guys suggested. still no go
Remeber, when you're making clearance for this, that under a load, the engine rocks. It will effectively pull the exhaust towards the front of the car and slightly upward (that's why there is a flex section). My warpspeed demonstrated the exact same thing and it was the hanger located at the cat/ypipe joint. If you look up inside the exhaust "tunnel" you'll see two protruding nipples, one on each side of the tunnel, that the rubber hangers attach to, make sure the hanger can swing freely w/o contacting either of those nipples. My noise sounded like a dentist drill. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

Remeber, when you're making clearance for this, that under a load, the engine rocks. It will effectively pull the exhaust towards the front of the car and slightly upward (that's why there is a flex section). My warpspeed demonstrated the exact same thing and it was the hanger located at the cat/ypipe joint. If you look up inside the exhaust "tunnel" you'll see two protruding nipples, one on each side of the tunnel, that the rubber hangers attach to, make sure the hanger can swing freely w/o contacting either of those nipples. My noise sounded like a dentist drill. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Yeah, thanks for the post. I did think it was the cause, but wasnt sure. thanks for the confirmation.

But now i am not sure to do about it. I also think the outer end is contacting becasue i see slight scuff marks, so i got 2 places where it is rubbing. What would u reccommend i use? I think thing about attaching some rubber stoppers but maybe u guys have better solutions?

thanks for all the help thus far guys
Old 02-11-2003, 09:16 PM

Yeah, thanks for the post. I did think it was the cause, but wasnt sure. thanks for the confirmation.

But now i am not sure to do about it. I also think the outer end is contacting becasue i see slight scuff marks, so i got 2 places where it is rubbing. What would u reccommend i use? I think thing about attaching some rubber stoppers but maybe u guys have better solutions?

thanks for all the help thus far guys
Where exactly was it rubbing?Is it by around the cat ?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
Where exactly was it rubbing?Is it by around the cat ?
it is rubbing right next to the top(opposite of the ground) of the bracket on the passenger side. It is the cat hanger.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:23 PM

bump with fix in orginal fix and pic of bending of cat converter. Thought i should post a pic to help others....

thanks guys