4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing front break pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 03:02 PM

Changing front break pads

I'd like to change my front pads but never have done my own..does anyone have some useful directions?? thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 03:19 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Changing front break pads

Originally posted by nirwhistlr
I'd like to change my front pads but never have done my own..does anyone have some useful directions?? thanks
Your best bet will be to find and purchase a Haynes manual for the car. Its brake writeup is great.

After that, check www.motorvate.ca
Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Changing front break pads

Originally posted by nirwhistlr
Very, very, very easy - and only a little harder to also take the rotors off to have them turned. If you search under "brakes" you should see some recent threads, but basically once you have the car up you take the wheels off, undo two bolts to take the calipers off, and the pads slide out. Put the new pads in, use a c-clamp to squeeze the caliper pistons back out (take off your brake fluid reservoir cap, and make sure it doesn't overflow when you do this), and bolt the caliper back on.

Here's a tip - to avoid the first time panic "oh ****, where does THAT go", try video taping the removal on the first side. If you forget where something goes, watch the video

Search for the threads though, they'll give you more detail.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I just did the brakes on my commuter car (Carolla). It was easier than I thought. It was a great learning experience, I recommend doing it yourself. You get a great feeling of satisfaction (especially after being quoted $250 for pads, rotors and labor and you get the job done for under $60 )
And yes, get the Haynes (or Chiltons). Good luck.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM

Very easy. Just get the Haynes ($15) and the brakes ($18 at Advance Autoparts) and you are ready to go.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:30 AM

Re: Re: Changing front break pads

Originally posted by Maximax2

Here's a tip - to avoid the first time panic "oh ****, where does THAT go", try video taping the removal on the first side. If you forget where something goes, watch the video

The video is a great idea. Back in the day when video cameras were expensive and there was no such thing as a digital camera, we took polaroids as we disassembled things and used those as references... and before we had polaroids, we used to sketch things out and label the bolts and parts with masking tape!

I think things would probably have gone much easier had we just bought the manuals in the first place...

Aloha,

Quack2x
Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 AM

Yeah,

I just changed my back pads and rotors and those are slightly more difficult than the front because you have to turn the piston. Once you know what you're doing, you can do the whole thing in less than 15 minutes per side. If you don't have to change or machine the rotor, it's a breeze. For fronts, www.motorvate.ca has an EXCELLENT write up.

A good thing about doing your brakes yourself is that you can't mess up. Well, you can mess up trying to put them back together, but they only go on one way(i.e. if the pads are upside down, the caliper won't fit, and you can't put the caliper on backwards, etc.) So you'll never put the wheels back on & have messed up brakes.

Once you change them yourself, you'll never let a shop do them again. Have fun.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:27 AM
StillenMax32

Its really easy. I got stillen rotors and pads and they are great. They look good and are a lot better on dust. There are basically two bolts that hold on the calipers that you take off. Then there are two little springs that you do NOT want to loose that hold each pad in. Total of 4 springs per caliper. Then if you want to remove the rotor all you need is a bolt to fit your rotor thread and use a driver to get the rotor off. Its really easy but get the hays manual.

Good Luck !!!

Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Licensed to Spell

Just curious, why are all you guys mentioning Haynes and not Chiltons?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:45 AM

thanks..picking up haynes today
Old 02-11-2003, 09:47 AM

It's spelled BRAKES, not breaks!

For the love of god.....the next time someone spells that worng I'm going to hunt them down and give them a wedgie.....
Old 02-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by iansw
It's spelled BRAKES, not breaks!

For the love of god.....the next time someone spells that worng I'm going to hunt them down and give them a wedgie.....
Ian, with all the awful grammar/spelling around here, I think spelling brakes as 'breaks' is a speeding ticket on a scale of jaywalking to murder. But I share your frustration bro. The one that just kills me every single time is 'alot'. It is 'a lot' people, there is no such word as 'alot'!!!

Sorry, I got a little worked up there.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:31 AM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Just curious, why are all you guys mentioning Haynes and not Chiltons?
Hayne's is better.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:33 AM

see if using this online manual will help:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual...odelLookup.html
Old 02-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by slavik'sMAX
see if using this online manual will help:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual...odelLookup.html

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.