4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

engine cradle frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:32 AM

engine cradle frame

hi guys. because of the heavy snow last week, my car slid and hit a curb on the front left wheels. afterwards, my steering was so off i had to turn my steering wheel around 45 degres to the right to keep the car going straight. the mechanic said i had bent the engine cradle frame (with a hit at 10 mph??) and he said it couldn't be adjusted and had to be replaced (1000 bucks). i told them to write an estimate first and i'd decide on it later, but minutes later the mechanic went into the manager's office and closed the door, came out and told me that they could adjust it as best as they can and things would be fine for me.

so they did and also performed an alignment and now it's fine to drive but i guess i'm wondering, were they pulling sh*t outta their *** when they said it couldn't be adjusted? or, do you think they really found out a way to adjust without replacing the part?

I haven't taken it really to high speeds yet but last time i went to 50 my car sort've shook. i dunno if it was the highway or something cause coming back on the opposite side my car was fine to 65. i didn't perform a wheel balance yet so maybe the hit threw off the balance of the rim?

alright... just wanted your opinions. thanks first!
Old 02-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

We dont have an "engine cradle frame". The front and rear engine mounts attach to the cross member under the car and the side mounts attach to the unit body.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
We dont have an "engine cradle frame". The front and rear engine mounts attach to the cross member under the car and the side mounts attach to the unit body.
hmm... maybe it's another thing? so maybe the guy coudl've been lying to me...

let me try to describe it. bear with me i don't know much. its a curved piece of metal on the bottom left side that attaches to part of the structure that controls wheel turning. at the tip of it there's a circular screw like thing.

does that help anyone?