4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New alignment specs => bent suspension components?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:44 PM

New alignment specs => bent suspension components?

Sorry for the long post, but after searching the .org I am leaning towards the sad conclusion that a suspension related component is bent on my Max .

Some Background:
A few weeks ago I noticed the car pulling to the driver's side. A short while later I realized that my headlights were no longer aimed correctly (I put in new bulbs figured messed up the aiming). Then, at my mechanics, I noticed two small scratches above the passenger turn signal. Upon closer inspection my mechaninc noticed that the passenger headlight housing was not alinged properly with the bumper -- as the driver's side was. My mechanic postulates that I was hit much harder than the small scratches led us to believe.

I start to panic -- alarm bells go off. He also suggests that the mis-aimed headlights and the car pulling to the driver's side might be due to this hit. I had an alignment scheduled the next day; here are the specs. My mechaninc asked me to bring in the spec sheet so we can investigate further.

FRONT: Left Right
Camber -0.36 -0.44
Cross Camber 0.08
Caster 1.94 2.80
Cross Caster -0.86
Toe 0.08 0.11
Total Toe 0.19

REAR:
Camber -0.98 -1.12
Cross Camber 0.14
Toe 0.06 0.08
Total Toe 0.14
Thrust Angle -0.01

A previous alignment gave the caster readings as: 2.3Left & 2.5Right.

1-Is it far fetched to assume that who ever hit me royally screwed me over , since all this occured suddenly?
2-Could my frame be bent, or do the caster readings point to the suspension?
3-The driver side pull is borne out by the caster reading, but I was hit on the right?
4-Not having seen the alignment specs yet, my mechanic suggests first rotating the tires (start with the simplest thing) -- good idea?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 10:32 AM

I just had the alignment done at the same place. Readings were:
Front Left Right

Camber -0.87 -0.64
Cross Camber -0.22
Caster 2.87 3.22
Cross Caster -0.35
Toe 0.13 0.11
total toe 0.24

Rear

Camber -1.22 -1.14
Cross Camber -0.08
Toe 0.19 0.17
Total Toe 0.37
Thrust Angle 0.01

And my car is running straight as an arrow
I could be a control arm problem yes..I will ask my nissan mechs for you again.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

Improperly repaired accident damage probably. Misalignment of body parts is a sign of this.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Improperly repaired accident damage probably. Misalignment of body parts is a sign of this.
But my car was tracking perfectly straight untill a month ago. I have not been any accidents.

Why would the body all of a sudden be misaligned? My caster readings during a previoius alignment were within spec.

Maybe the damn cold winter just exposed this problem now? or perhaps, as stated in my original post, the small parking lot ding did more damage than I thought?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

You've had the car since new? Or maybe you hit a curb/pothole?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:38 AM

You've had the car since new? Or maybe you hit a curb/pothole?
No the car was bought used 10 months ago, but like I said it was tracking perfectly untill a month ago. I have not hit a curb or potholes -- can hitting a curb or a pothole misalign the frame of the car?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

So you have no idea if it's been in a previous accident or how major that accident was? Note: carfax will only show if the car was damaged enough to be considered salvaged. Most minor/not so minor accidents won't show up on that report.

Originally posted by maxamer

No the car was bought used 10 months ago, but like I said it was tracking perfectly untill a month ago. I have not hit a curb or potholes -- can hitting a curb or a pothole misalign the frame of the car?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:52 AM

So you have no idea if it's been in a previous accident or how major that accident was? Note: carfax will only show if the car was damaged enough to be considered salvaged. Most minor/not so minor accidents won't show up on that report.

Nope, I don't know if the car has been in a major accident before I purchased it.

The only other thing I can think of is when I got rear ended about six months ago -- but it was just paint damage. Two different body shops told me that there was no damage past the paint. And like I said before, even after I did not have alignment problems untill a few weeks ago . Perhaps both body shops misjudged the damage?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Both of you guys who posted your alignment specs have perfect tracking vehicles.

Start looking at your tires if your car is pulling.

maxamar - There's nothing bent or wrong with your suspension. The small dent or dislodging of your headlight assy has nothing to do with your car pulling to one side or the other.

You'd have to get hit pretty hard to do damage to the strut tower.

When's the last time you checked your tirre pressure??
When's the last time the tires were rotated?
What condition are the tires in, worn out or fairly new?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Both of you guys who posted your alignment specs have perfect tracking vehicles.

Start looking at your tires if your car is pulling.

maxamar - There's nothing bent or wrong with your suspension. The small dent or dislodging of your headlight assy has nothing to do with your car pulling to one side or the other.

You'd have to get hit pretty hard to do damage to the strut tower.

When's the last time you checked your tirre pressure??
When's the last time the tires were rotated?
What condition are the tires in, worn out or fairly new?
Pheww -> mjmaxsletd: that is the first piece of reassuring news i've heard.

1-Tire pressure was checked yesterday when I had the alignment -- all are at 31 psi.
2-The tires were previously rotated about 4300 miles ago.
3-The two rear tires are 10 months old w/80% tread left. To pass safety inspection I only needed two new tires (put on by the dealership). The front ones have about a 33% of their tread life left. I have no idea how old the front tires are.

Would'nt caster readings of 1.94L 2.80R imply a pull to the driver's side? And what would cause caster readings to change from one alignment to the next?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:07 PM

tie rod end problem could be the cause ..perhaps a break that is lightly seised? suspension?...just kinda thinking of what may cause it.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by ReddoG_Max
tie rod end problem could be the cause ..perhaps a break that is lightly seised? suspension?...just kinda thinking of what may cause it.
Just spoke to my mechanic; he wants to start by looking at the tires as well.

Problem is -- merely investigatng all other possibilties is no small feat..!