4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Car stalled when brake hard!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Help! Car stalled when brake hard!!!

Last weekend I cleaned my intake and throttle body, after putting everything back and driven it for a couple of hours, the engine check light came on. Then some members here directed me to a site with some nice write-up about ECU, so I reseted my ECU according to the instructions, and the engine light went away. It had been trouble-free since, but just last night, as I was getting off the ramp of a freeway exit, I was braking kinda hard from 65mph, then the car suddenly stalled with the wheels locked forward but all the lights and my stereo are still on. Then I pushed the brake pedal all the way down and my car stopped about half an inch before the curb...I quickly turned on the blinkers and turn off everything, then turned the key to try starting the car, it started fine without any problem. Later I tried to recreate the problem, but it never occured again.

Has anyone had this kinda problem before? My friend's 92 Lexus LS400 had the same problem at around 100,000, and it never come back again. My car has about 127,500miles, this is the first time I've had a problem with my car, can anyone please assist me on this? Thanx~
Old 02-18-2003, 01:11 PM

happened to me once locked up the non abs brakes around 40mph with 5 ppl in the car. I wonder if its a safety feature that kills the engine in the event of a crash?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:16 PM

yeah, same thing happened to me in my '95 corolla. some sherwin williams brute of a truck almost changed lanes into me. slammed on the breaks (on one of the most dangerous highways in PA), and the whole engine turning off thing happened from there. had to pull over to the side with the rest of the momentum, and had to try a couple of times to start it (probably because the battery was draining).
Old 02-18-2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
happened to me once locked up the non abs brakes around 40mph with 5 ppl in the car. I wonder if its a safety feature that kills the engine in the event of a crash?
Nah..I know for sure that's not part of the car's safety features, cuz I used to race and drive very hard, and so I brake very hard too, but this has never happened before. Plus, what if someone was right behind me on that ramp? He could easily rare end me cuz the car stalled and I had to push the brake so hard and pull the handbrake for it to stop completely. Now speaking of safety feature, isnt its purpose to either protect me from a crash or prevent it? There's gotta be something wrong, could be the ECU, the fuel system? tranny, alternator, or TCM? Which one could cause this problem? Anyone with the knowledge and experience please assit!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A couple days ago, I had that same problem. I have a 97 gxe, 5 speed, no ABS. It was raining hard while I was on the highway and took an exit. There was a car in front of me, so I put my car in neutral. Right when he reaches the stoplight, the light turns yellow and that dumbass slams on his brakes, so I do the same. My wheels lock, engine turns off, and I slide into the next lane over. Not sure what it was cause I was in neutral. So I restart my car and there were no problems. I also tried to recreate that problem, but nothing happened.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 AM

I had this happened to me before. I slammed on the brakes real hard to avoid an accident. I believe it's a safety feature on the transmission, because when my car stalled and after I started it up again, my OD light flashed. This meant something was going awry in my transmission. What I had found out was that if you slam on the brakes real hard, the transmission will save itself by shutting the car off when downshifting real fast. I also found out the transmission code in the ECU (0504)is a ghost code like the knock sensor. Eventhough my CEL did not light up, this code appeared in the ECU. I then reset the ECU and did the transmission fault code test in the transmission computer. Everything checked out fine and never had a problem since (it's been well over a year now). I believe this is a good safety feature on Nissan's part, but like you said, this could also cause a possible accident.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
I had this happened to me before. I slammed on the brakes real hard to avoid an accident. I believe it's a safety feature on the transmission, because when my car stalled and after I started it up again, my OD light flashed. This meant something was going awry in my transmission. What I had found out was that if you slam on the brakes real hard, the transmission will save itself by shutting the car off when downshifting real fast. I also found out the transmission code in the ECU (0504)is a ghost code like the knock sensor. Eventhough my CEL did not light up, this code appeared in the ECU. I then reset the ECU and did the transmission fault code test in the transmission computer. Everything checked out fine and never had a problem since (it's been well over a year now). I believe this is a good safety feature on Nissan's part, but like you said, this could also cause a possible accident.
O__o... Well thanx for sharing all of your experiences, I guess I'll just wait a lil' while longer see that ever happens again, cuz my car is now running almost like when I first bought it!