4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:19 PM

OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

HOW BAD AM I GETTING RAPED?

I brought my car into Stamford Nissan to fix what I thought was just a loose power steering belt (squeaking noise on the passenger side) and a sticky valve on the EVAP (codes 0215 & 0304).

They told me the rack & pinion (seal is leaking) needs to be replaced [$1,300 part plus 5 hours labor = $1,700] and my knock sensor, vent control, and canister all need to replaced [$300 parts and 2 hrs labor = $450].

SHOULD I BRING THESE REPAIRS TO A LOCAL SHOP?

The PART prices the dealer quoted:

rack & pinion = $1,300
knock sensor = $ 60
vent control = $ 60
canister = $ 180

I appreciate your comments!!!

'98 Max SE fully loaded, black on black with 95k.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:37 PM

time to sell the car and get the 03 =D
Old 02-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Sin

How about getting a second opinion?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Originally posted by pgaffer

I brought my car into Stamford Nissan to fix what I thought was just a loose power steering belt (squeaking noise on the passenger side) and a sticky valve on the EVAP (codes 0215 & 0304).

They told me the rack & pinion (seal is leaking) needs to be replaced [$1,300 part plus 5 hours labor = $1,700] and my knock sensor, vent control, and canister all need to replaced [$300 parts and 2 hrs labor = $450].

rack & pinion = $1,300
knock sensor = $ 60
vent control = $ 60
canister = $ 180

'98 Max SE fully loaded, black on black with 95k. Fix or sell?
Some rack and pinion seals on 4th gens leak especially when its really cold out, mine leaks a little bit when its below 10~20F. It would be good to get a second opinion from another shop about the rack. In the mean time you can just keep adding power steering fluid when it gets low.

The other stuff seems ok, the knock sensor is cheap there usually like 100 bucks. If you use search and/or get a haynes/chilton manual you can learn how to change the knock sensor, vent control, and the canister on your own.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

You are getting raped. List price for a new rack (complete) for a 97-99 SE is $850. A lot of dealers have 20-25% discounts so the rack should be $650 or so. Even with the 25% discount the Maxima rack still costs more than a E36 BMW rack

rack & pinion = $1,300
knock sensor = $ 60
vent control = $ 60
canister = $ 180

'98 Max SE fully loaded, black on black with 95k.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Originally posted by 98SEBlackMax

Some rack and pinion seals on 4th gens leak especially when its really cold out, mine leaks a little bit when its below 10~20F. It would be good to get a second opinion from another shop about the rack. In the mean time you can just keep adding power steering fluid when it gets low.

The other stuff seems ok, the knock sensor is cheap there usually like 100 bucks. If you use search and/or get a haynes/chilton manual you can learn how to change the knock sensor, vent control, and the canister on your own.

Thanks for your input. Except for the hose clamp on the '97s, there are not a lot of good threads on rack & pinion issues. I am thinking about yanking my car out of the dealer and trying some sealer (does this stuff really work on small leaks?).

If anyone has other comments or experiences, please share. THANKS.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Sin

Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
You are getting raped. List price for a new rack (complete) for a 97-99 SE is $850. A lot of dealers have 20-25% discounts so the rack should be $650 or so. Even with the 25% discount the Maxima rack still costs more than a E36 BMW rack

You can't even compare the two. The Maxima is a transversely mounted fwd car, the BMW a longitudinal rwd. Of course the Maxima will probably have a more expensive rack.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Thanks for your input. Except for the hose clamp on the '97s, there are not a lot of good threads on rack & pinion issues. I am thinking about yanking my car out of the dealer and trying some sealer (does this stuff really work on small leaks?).

If anyone has other comments or experiences, please share. THANKS.
I wouldn't go with the sealer. I would find out what the actual problem is first. If you just have a leaking hose, or an actual leaking seal, or a loose ps belt. Get in there, find out.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Originally posted by Sin

I wouldn't go with the sealer. I would find out what the actual problem is first. If you just have a leaking hose, or an actual leaking seal, or a loose ps belt. Get in there, find out.

I assume you do not trust this dealer. As I mentioned above, the dealer said it was a leaking seal. If they are honest/correct, does this sealer stuff work and/or will there be negative side effects from using it?

By the way, I had a lube center change the tranny & power fluids on 1/4/03. In thier fluid exchange work, could they have done something to have cause this problem? The power fluid they put in ran out in about 40 days (never happened before). I wonder if they could have screwed with something by mistake? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

I assume you do not trust this dealer. As I mentioned above, the dealer said it was a leaking seal. If they are honest/correct, does this sealer stuff work and/or will there be negative side effects from using it?

By the way, I had a lube center change the tranny & power fluids on 1/4/03. In thier fluid exchange work, could they have done something to have cause this problem? The power fluid they put in ran out in about 40 days (never happened before). I wonder if they could have screwed with something by mistake? Any thoughts? Thanks!
It's not that I don't necessarily distrust this dealer. It's just that this is a BIG repair. Before you actually have it done, I'd highly suggest you confirm that the diagnosis is accurate.

As for the sealer stuff, you are likely to do as much damage as good. I've personally heard horror stories in using this stuff.

Instead of all this speculation, why don't you just inspect the suspect components yourself to be sure? If you don't trust your diagnosis, take pics, get them on the net, and I'm sure we'll be able to give you better insight. If even that is too much for you, go take it to another dealership, tell them the same thing, that you have the noises, but nothing else, and get their opinion. If you get another diagnosis, then you know one or the other, is suspect.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OH SH*T!!! Quoted $2,150 for rack & pinion!

Originally posted by Sin

It's not that I don't necessarily distrust this dealer. It's just that this is a BIG repair. Before you actually have it done, I'd highly suggest you confirm that the diagnosis is accurate.

As for the sealer stuff, you are likely to do as much damage as good. I've personally heard horror stories in using this stuff.

Instead of all this speculation, why don't you just inspect the suspect components yourself to be sure? If you don't trust your diagnosis, take pics, get them on the net, and I'm sure we'll be able to give you better insight. If even that is too much for you, go take it to another dealership, tell them the same thing, that you have the noises, but nothing else, and get their opinion. If you get another diagnosis, then you know one or the other, is suspect.
Thanks Sin (& 98SEBLACKMAX)- I agree with you . . . too much $$$$$$ not to spend a little extra $ to get a second opinion. Even if the rack does need replacing, I should be able to save some $$ by going to someone else . . . the dealer's quote seems outrageous (even for a dealer). Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

heh. you can change the KS yourself: http://www.skippynet.com/maxima/knocksensor.htm

The part is cheaper through Courtesy or an online parts store unless you get a discount at your local dealer.

Definitely get a second opinion on that stuff; I doubt you have to replace the whole R&P setup.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:43 AM

I agree with everyone else about getting a second opinion. By the way I think thart Pam Anderson has a way more expensive rack!
Old 02-19-2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by padam07
I agree with everyone else about getting a second opinion. By the way I think thart Pam Anderson has a way more expensive rack!
I am not sure about that . . . the final quote was about $2,300 and I am guessing that amount of money comes close to paying for such a surgery.

I took back my car today . . .when the dealer guy, who claims to love his '97 GLE, brought my car around front he, now knowing I was going to take a hike, admitted it was a slow leak that wasn't worth fixing at this point (at least not for his price). Also, he urged me not to bother with paying for a second opinion on the other stuff; he claimed all the other parts really do need to be replaced as odd as that might seem . . . he demonstrated the slow response my max had when punching the gas (in neutral) . . . anyway, thanks for the responses, $2,300 would have burned a big whole

Now, I am going the cheapest route- capping the power steering fluid off until it gets really bad (at which point, I'll get a second opinion) and buying the other stuff online and doing it myself or going to a local shop . . . it now seems like the obvious thing to do, but I like to make sure my max (and my pocketbook) gets the right treatment . . . thanks again!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just got a new rack an it only cost me $235.00 but as i am slow to finish the job its taken 2 day anstill counting but rack plus new bushings an fuilds my grand total is 300an change
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Holy Thread From The Dead Batman!

Please Do NOT Bump OLD DEAD THREADS..

On another note Welcome to the Org!!

Please Learn to use the SEARCH FUNCTION or you will be Banned.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Yeah, old thread, nevermind

Last edited by trooplewis; 12-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Holy Thread From The Dead Batman!

Please Do NOT Bump OLD DEAD THREADS..

On another note Welcome to the Org!!

Please Learn to use the SEARCH FUNCTION or you will be Banned.
Chill ... He did search, but the search isn't working properly. It's only resulting old threads.