4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HIDS on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 AM

HIDS on Ebay

Heres my experience with HIDs in my car that i had for a while.
My 1st kit I bought from Freddy (97GLES) was the Hanabi 8000k kit.
got pulled over with a fix-it ticket after about 2 weeks
I ended up selling it to an ORG member while in the meantime I ordered a used Hanabi 6000k kit (less blue color) from a different ORG member.
Recently I noticed one of the headlights start to flicker until it completely stopped working. I find that the problem is the ballast is gone but the bulb is still good.
Being as how I cant stand halogens anymore, Im planning to buy a brand new kit again. On ebay I see many Hanabi 7000k(purple) and 8000k kits going for about $380 shipped. Thats about the same price Freddy sells his 7000k kits for. The problem is that I'm afraid the 7000k purple kit on ebay has too much color and will attract cops, while Freddy says the 7000k blue kit he sells wont attract attention.

Which should I go for, purple kit from ebay?(anyone have these?) or the blue ones from Freddy?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: HIDS on Ebay

Originally posted by DpG $h0rTeE
I ended up selling it to an ORG member while in the meantime I ordered a used Hanabi 6000k kit (less blue color) from a different ORG member.
Recently I noticed one of the headlights start to flicker until it completely stopped working. I find that the problem is the ballast is gone but the bulb is still good.
Being as how I cant stand halogens anymore, Im planning to buy a brand new kit again. On ebay I see many Hanabi 7000k(purple) and 8000k kits going for about $380 shipped. Thats about the same price Freddy sells his 7000k kits for. The problem is that I'm afraid the 7000k purple kit on ebay has too much color and will attract cops, while Freddy says the 7000k blue kit he sells wont attract attention.

Which should I go for, purple kit from ebay?(anyone have these?) or the blue ones from Freddy?
go for a 4000k kit and don't worry about being pulled over for too much color.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: HIDS on Ebay

Originally posted by fearthegecko

go for a 4000k kit and don't worry about being pulled over for too much color.

Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 AM

Why use Hanabi or Osram kit, their ballast are not the greatest. You should buy a kit called HID plus by SPW industries. It uses the same components as BMW and Mercedes, for example this kit has a Hella (German made Ballast and Hella German made Bulb). The kit comes in 3 colors, White 4600k Blue 7500k and Purple 9000k. If interested you can contact optionmotor@yahoo.com

Here is a pic of the HIDs on my car:
Old 02-19-2003, 08:00 AM

here is a pic of the same HID kit on JTMAX97 4th gen:

Old 02-19-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by D-sta
here is a pic of the same HID kit on JTMAX97 4th gen:

Here is a pic of my McCulloch HIDs 6000k.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-sta
[B]Why use Hanabi or Osram kit, their ballast are not the greatest. You should buy a kit called HID plus by SPW industries. It uses the same components as BMW and Mercedes, for example this kit has a Hella (German made Ballast and Hella German made Bulb). The kit comes in 3 colors, White 4600k Blue 7500k and Purple 9000k. If interested you can contact optionmotor@yahoo.com

Have you used Osram before?

I have the 8000k Osram kit, never had one problem. BTW, my Osram kit came with Hella Ballasts.

Saying that the Osram kit does not have the greatest ballast isnt all that true because the kit from SPW uses the same brand ballast as mine.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:28 AM

No I haven't used the OSRAM but I have heard about them. Anywayz what about the bulb, is that a hella bulb the osram kit uses?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hmm, someone get impatient with the send button?

anyways, how much are you guys paying for these kits?

eric
Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
hmm, someone get impatient with the send button?

anyways, how much are you guys paying for these kits?

eric
the server says error and then takes you back and I hit send again...lol

I buy a lot from optionmotor and he hooks it up for me and he should for you guys also. The price is like $400.00 shipped, it also depends on color and H4 has the high beam feature so that makes it more expensive.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM

Damn thats a lot of choices...okay so how much does each brand cost?
hella/osram?
SPW?
McCulloch?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:43 AM

Damn thats a lot of choices...okay so how much does each brand cost?
hella/osram?
SPW?
McCulloch?
SPW 9004 kit white 4600k goes for $380.00 shipped
SPW 9004 kit blue 7500k goes for $400.00 shipped
SPW 9004 kit purple 9000k goes for $420.00 shipped

If interested contact optionmotor@yahoo.com

It will take him like 2 days to answer since he's busy and stuff or you can call him at 626-831-6628 and ask for Stanley.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: HIDS on Ebay

I'm having a hard time understanding how you get a fix-it ticket for HID's? They are 100% DOT legal and are on MANY other cars right from the factory. I don't think they're allowed to ticket you for them especially if you can go into court with the paperwork that states just how many certifications they have. The blue halogens are one thing, but cops giving you a fix-it ticket for HID's is just plain wrong.

I lived in NJ and those cops are brutal and I can see them, for example, trying to ticket people for this, but if your lights are properly aimed and are DOT certified, cops should not be able to make this kind of ticket hold up.

Am I missing something here?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

I'm having a hard time understanding how you get a fix-it ticket for HID's? They are 100% DOT legal and are on MANY other cars right from the factory. I don't think they're allowed to ticket you for them especially if you can go into court with the paperwork that states just how many certifications they have. The blue halogens are one thing, but cops giving you a fix-it ticket for HID's is just plain wrong.

I lived in NJ and those cops are brutal and I can see them, for example, trying to ticket people for this, but if your lights are properly aimed and are DOT certified, cops should not be able to make this kind of ticket hold up.

I totally agree. They just give you the ticket because the town or city needs funds, like Bloomberg here in New York has no mercy for anyone, all the traffic cops if they catch you, they give you a ticket for anything and now it's a rare that they'll let you go. I guess you can fight it but they just hope the person doesn't have time to fight a ticket and just pay for it. I think the only thing that makes HID's illegal for our cars is that it removes out high beam feature, they can ***** about that.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:03 PM

thanks for all the info..ive been looking for a good hid kit and i havent found one i liked. thanks for the contact.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

D-sta - the packaging holding the bulbs says osram all over it, I cant confirm or deny that they are in fact osram bulbs. The bulb itself has no writing on it that I visibly noticed during the install, but I could be wrong.

Big_Ham - Im sure that this has been beat up before, search on it, maybe they can get you for not having high beams?

99Maxima5sp - I paid too much, but I wanted them right then and there and money wasnt a problem. I know I shouldnt have been so impatient and just ordered the hanabis from Freddie. Oh well.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:31 PM

SPW 9004 kit white 4600k goes for $380.00 shipped
SPW 9004 kit blue 7500k goes for $400.00 shipped
SPW 9004 kit purple 9000k goes for $420.00 shipped

If interested contact optionmotor@yahoo.com

It will take him like 2 days to answer since he's busy and stuff or you can call him at 626-831-6628 and ask for Stanley.

i got a voice mail message, but no name on the voice mail, so i just hung up...Anyway, my only question was does the white kit have a hi/low beam or just high?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:33 PM

i mean just a low beam....
Old 02-19-2003, 12:41 PM

i mean just a low beam....
yup just low beam, the only kit that has High beam is the H4 kits.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 PM

yup just low beam, the only kit that has High beam is the H4 kits.
And the H4 can't be adapted for the 9004 in any way?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:31 PM

Just clarify things... Well, retrofitting xenons in any headlamp that wasn't meant for HID is kinda illegal just cuz there's so much light and glare. It's 100% DOT legal on cars that actually are equipped with xenons from the factory, but aftermarket HIDs is just a totally different story. Yea, they can argue about you not having high beams too, in which case all cars must have high beams equipped. Not sure if the cop actually knew that u didn't have high beams or not.

I have OEM 4300k xenons from a lincoln mark 8 and retrofitted the kit myself in my 96 max, so far, I haven't been pulled over and I've had it in my car for almost 2 years already. I do get highbeamed sometimes just cuz they are that bright! Although I do have to take them off during inspection time just cuz it isn't legal, but hey, I'll take the risk just cuz i'll never go back to halogen again!

Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Sports Button FTW

dam, hanabi has some competition

that pic of osram 6000 is getting sh*tted on by the other kit. I would really like them but that's a hella of a price for hids. We really need to do a full comparison wit all HIDS. if anyone has time to do the research and gather pics,we can put them all side by side...
Old 02-19-2003, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: HIDS on Ebay

Originally posted by maximaxgtr

I have OEM 4300k xenons from a lincoln mark 8 and retrofitted the kit myself in my 96 max, so far, I haven't been pulled over and I've had it in my car for almost 2 years already. I do get highbeamed sometimes just cuz they are that bright! Although I do have to take them off during inspection time just cuz it isn't legal, but hey, I'll take the risk just cuz i'll never go back to halogen again!

hey, how much did you pick that up for??

eric
Old 02-19-2003, 02:24 PM

My 6000k McCullochs cost me $322 shipped on a group deal form here on the org. I am 100% satisfied with them, have not gotten into any trouble with the cops (knock on wood), and are 100% DOT legal, only crappy thing is the loss of my high beam, but eh, who needs em when u got HIDs.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
only crappy thing is the loss of my high beam, but eh, who needs em when u got HIDs.

YAY! I get to be the first one to start the "why you need a high beam" lecture

1. To communicate with other drivers.
2. To pass inspection.
3. Because there are some places that are really, really dark. Like, darker than dark, y'know?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:08 PM
JsL

and are 100% DOT legal
No aftermarket HID kit is DOT legal
Old 02-19-2003, 03:11 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

2. To pass inspection.
3. Because there are some places that are really, really dark. Like, darker than dark, y'know?
Communication consists of my left middle finger and my aftermarket froggies.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: HIDS on Ebay

i got the used lincoln mark 8 ballast and bulbs from another org member (emax95) when he was selling his car i think... he gave me a good deal for it, paid around $230 shipped i think?? What sucks about this kit is that i actually have to glue the xenon bulb into my headlamp socket, otherwise, the bulb will just not hold... I was thinking about trying to find some 4300k bulbs with the 9004 socket. This would definitely make things easier when i have to go through my yearly inspection.

AND AGAIN, AFTERMARKET HID KITS ARE NOT 100% DOT LEGAL! Even if the stupid manufacturer claims it is, it still isn't! Only factory equipped cars with HID are street legal and have approval from DOT because the car manufacturer actually specially designs their headlamp to prevent all the extra glare and to control the beam pattern.

If u're getting pulled over, then its probably cuz of the color. I guess if the color output is too blue, they'll probably pull u over cuz blue lights are illegal. Not sure how cops deal with purplish lights, but who knows, they may/may not pull u over. I'm sure if the color is pure white, they most likely won't bother just like in my case...

hey, how much did you pick that up for??

eric
Old 02-19-2003, 04:25 PM

And the H4 can't be adapted for the 9004 in any way?
I don't think so
Old 02-19-2003, 04:26 PM

Just for the record I live in So. Cali. From my experiences, most cops down here are very strict and **** about everything. When I got pulled over for my HIDs, Mr. Policeman says "Those lights are illegal son"...I asked him why, he says "they are too blue". Then he goes on about how headlights are only supposed to be white and tells me to look at his headlights/flood lights from his squad car and how "white" they are. Being as I was already in a bad mood, I didn't want to argue with the officer. I asked him "So do you go pull over all those other cars with blue headlights too?"..."Yes I do."...I just politely said "Okay sir."....
Old 02-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2. To pass inspection.
1. - In most states, it's technically illegal to flash your high beams at anyone - you're supposed to flash your lights by turning them off and on quickly -

I got a ticket when I was 19 for flashing a cop who had his high beams on - I took it to court and lost.

2. In my state, at least, they don't inspect anything but the emmissions - many states are like this that I've seen. Or they only check turn signals and brake lights, like in AZ.

3. Some of us live in large cities, and rarely, if ever, leave them.

Just a retort to your lecture.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by iansw

1. - In most states, it's technically illegal to flash your high beams at anyone - you're supposed to flash your lights by turning them off and on quickly -

I got a ticket when I was 19 for flashing a cop who had his high beams on - I took it to court and lost.

2. In my state, at least, they don't inspect anything but the emmissions - many states are like this that I've seen. Or they only check turn signals and brake lights, like in AZ.

I live in Miami, FL, so I dont have any inspections, they even dont check emissions anymore. Manual says they are DOT legal, regardless if they are or not, I still love em, I rarely used my high beams, most parts of Miami are lighted anyways.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:20 PM

how bright are they, i mean since they dont have a high beam they must be bright... Whats the light output difference?

eric
Old 02-19-2003, 05:22 PM

how bright are they, i mean since they dont have a high beam they must be bright... Whats the light output difference?

eric
Extremely bright, especially since our headlamp housings were nto made for HIDs, the glare is crazy. The output is only 35 watts, but its all about teh gas inside the bulb.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by D1NOnly34

Extremely bright, especially since our headlamp housings were nto made for HIDs, the glare is crazy. The output is only 35 watts, but its all about teh gas inside the bulb.
exactly
Old 02-19-2003, 06:47 PM
AssyrianRacer

Whao

You should live in Chicago, they just changed the law and now the only colors your cant have is Red or Green

Old 02-19-2003, 10:00 PM

That's weird, i've never heard of anything like that. I know it's illegal to use your lights in an inappropriate or unsafe way, but flashing people to either warn them of something ahead (cops, accident, etc...) or to tell them to turn off their brights is exactly the opposite, so i can't see it being illegal.

I'm pretty sure every state tests the functionality of the vehicles lights. Whether or not every shop does is another question. But that's odd too, because most shops i've been to (NY and PA) do it as a courtesy to the customer, and as another way to make money: If a light is out, they'll replace it while the car is there, at the customer's explense of course.

True, but then just like airbags, the high beams will be there just in case........
Old 02-19-2003, 10:04 PM

That's weird, i've never heard of anything like that. I know it's illegal to use your lights in an inappropriate or unsafe way, but flashing people to either warn them of something ahead (cops, accident, etc...) or to tell them to turn off their brights is exactly the opposite, so i can't see it being illegal.

I'm pretty sure every state tests the functionality of the vehicles lights. Whether or not every shop does is another question. But that's odd too, because most shops i've been to (NY and PA) do it as a courtesy to the customer, and as another way to make money: If a light is out, they'll replace it while the car is there, at the customer's explense of course.

True, but then just like airbags, the high beams will be there just in case........

The cop in court brought a copy of the law - "High beams may not be used for communication at night in any form. Brights may only be used on dark roads, and not within 200ft of another vehicle" - or something like that....I was as surprised as you are....(It was years ago, and I don't remember the exact verbage, but I lost in court because of it).

5 checkups in my history in Seattle - they never once asked me to turn my blinker on, or hit the brakes - same in Phoenix when I lived there.

HIDs are pretty bright - I think they're safe enough.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:27 PM

The cop in court brought a copy of the law - "High beams may not be used for communication at night in any form. Brights may only be used on dark roads, and not within 200ft of another vehicle" - or something like that....I was as surprised as you are....(It was years ago, and I don't remember the exact verbage, but I lost in court because of it).

5 checkups in my history in Seattle - they never once asked me to turn my blinker on, or hit the brakes - same in Phoenix when I lived there.

HIDs are pretty bright - I think they're safe enough.
They let you be in the car during inspection? I've always been asked to wait in that sh1tty waiting area, until they bring you in and show you what they recommend be done.

And you're right, HIDs are pretty bright, and the blue/purpleish ones blind my a$s when i'm going past oncoming traffic.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:28 PM

They let you be in the car during inspection? I've always been asked to wait in that sh1tty waiting area, until they bring you in and show you what they recommend be done.

And you're right, HIDs are pretty bright, and the blue/purpleish ones blind my a$s when i'm going past oncoming traffic.
Yeah, I always sit in the car and they tell me to rev the engine, blah blah blah - never say "turn on you blinker, headlights, etc, etc)

Quick Reply: HIDS on Ebay