4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ground controls

Old 09-11-2000, 09:44 PM
j dogg

anyone getting a clunking and pinging sound with their ground controls?

Old 09-11-2000, 10:05 PM

team chase?

team chase? i know someone in that crew...dave, with the yellow camry?
Old 09-11-2000, 10:15 PM
j dogg

dirty Dave!!!!!!! ah sheeit, his camry is tight. he's selling it for like 14.5 g's. Anyone interested. For a pic of his car and other team Chase cars, check out old issues of Turbo and SCC with pics from hot import daze in L.B. If you look closely you can see a pic of my ride. Did i mention that Dave's car is hella tight?

Old 09-11-2000, 11:54 PM

yups...

yea...i was asking him bout fixing up my ride a while back when he mentioned someone in his crew had a tight *** maxima. do u happen to have any pics of your car? what issue of turbo and scc would i find a pic of ur car?
Old 09-12-2000, 12:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ground Control noises

Hello:

I have a Ground Control kit and I have mechanical interference problems in the rear. The front end is trouble-free...

My problem lies with the Stillen stabilizer bar...
The issue is that the Stillen stabilizer bar clamps are placed perpedicular to the trailing arms on the rear beam axle and the upper side of the clamps are higher than the highest point on the trailing arms.

Now that my car is set lower as compared to Eibach Pro-Kit, the undercarriage of the car occassionally bottoms-out on top of the stabilizer bar clamps. The local suspension shop suggested fabricating new clamps and to drill the trailing arms to mounting the clamps parallel with the stabilizer bar. That should clear up the clearance issue with the undercarriage and the clamps.

But then there is an issue with the back corners of the stabilizer bar coming into contact with the rear beam... this isn't as frequent and occurs only when going over a driveway ramp or speed bump relatively fast and off center... I don't know if that can be solved easily... maybe welding on a flat plate to the bar corners and installing some polyurethane bushings on top of the plates... maybe to soak up the impact and make any interference events quieter...

That rear beam axle is the glaring "achilles heel" on the Maxima... It really hinders performance and ride quality... I wish some company could make up a modification similar to what FORD did with the Mustang Cobra... The V6 and GT Mustangs use a beam axle but it has mounting points for extra control arms for the COBRA supsension that run from the suspension links down some of the length of the axle. Then the axle is "hard mounted" to the undercarriage effectively making it "sprung" weight.. Ride quality dramatically improves and that opens up an avenue to have camber angle adjustability.

Old 09-13-2000, 08:11 AM

pinging noises

yea the ***** back of the car gets pinging noises if you raise the car up with a jack and didnt lower it hella slow. the metal piece has to catch with the spring slowly. also the damn bump stops will break in the back i only have like a litte piece left. also check the ruber brusing under the coil it somethin comes out of the bottom causeing the car to raise up on one side. the frnt of the car is perfect just the back is horrible for me.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:41 PM
j dogg

the rears are fine on my car, but the fronts make a sh!tty sound. Any cures?

Old 09-14-2000, 11:11 PM
j dogg

i forget if it was turbo or scc or both, but it's the one with hot import daze in LB '99. You can barely see my car, it's a picture of the crew, but only half of us. The pic of my car is not even worth mentioning cuz it's very subtle, but there's a great shot of dave's camry.

Old 09-14-2000, 11:32 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Chris,

With the solid beam axle on the Max. ALot of people hate it but when you really push your car to the limits, its actually pretty forgiving, it doesnt come out under you all of a sudden and its very predictable. You also shouldnt experince Camber and Toe changes that can happen with Independant suspensions although an independant suspension would be better suited for bumpier roads. Good luck on the noises. I have em in the fronts but none in the rear.
Old 09-15-2000, 04:29 AM
Banned

Front strut mount bearings...>

No one seemed to answer your question.

I think I have your answer because another Maxima owner
had the same troubles. It seems that GCs don't hold the mount bearing at the stop of the suspension very well. If you look at this <A HREF=http://www.c-com.net/~scutchen/Car%20Stuff/Maxima%20springs/maxima_springs.htm>page</A> and look for item 4 that is the problem. When you install the GCs, you remove items 5&6
now the bearing(item 4) is not that stable. One good bump in the road will shift it to one side and then you get a metal to metal/pinging sound from the front.

Fix: It will only last until you hit another bump but try this. Jack the front up and center the plastic mount bearing in the middle of the GCs. The bearing should be round if you can see it and it's oblong then the bearing is crushed and needs to be replaced. After you center the bearing set the car down very, very slowly because you need to make sure that the bearing stays centered.

Originally posted by j dogg
the rears are fine on my car, but the fronts make a sh!tty sound. Any cures?