4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

infinity i30 gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:20 PM

infinity i30 gauge problem

i know that this is the 4th generation maxima forum, but maybe you guys can help me out with a problem that my cousin has been having with his 1996 infinity i30, so here goes...

when he drives the speedometer needle just jumps up and down.

he did not attempt to replace the gauges, the problem just started out of nowhere.

So please guys help, any ideas will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Re: infinity i30 gauge problem

Originally posted by ILoveMAXIMAs
i know that this is the 4th generation maxima forum, but maybe you guys can help me out with a problem that my cousin has been having with his 1996 infinity i30, so here goes...

he did not attempt to replace the gauges, the problem just started out of nowhere.

Just a guess, but a loose ground somewhere? Try to isolate the problem. Does it happen when he hits bumps, takes turns, brakes, etc... Might be worth it to check the vehicle speed sensor (or whatever the correct term for the sensor that sends the info to the gauge).
Also, is the car running fine? Is the speedometer the only gauge with a problem? Our gauges aren't the best (my tach can sometimes jump a little on bumps, and the fuel gauge is extremely inaccurate with its floating). Definitely do the simple, and free, checks first.

Dave
Old 02-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is a trouble shooting procedure with pictures in the Factory Service Manual on page EL 85. Haynes has nothing on speed sensor. What you have is a speed sensor on the transaxle that generates a speed signal that feeds the speedometer. If you unplug the connector from the speed sensor you should measure 250 ohms on the speed sensor. The rest of the troubleshooting procedure uses various test points on the eletrical connectors, botton line you need this page. Maybe someone with a scanner can send it to you. I don't have a scanner or I would.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1996 infinity i30, so here goes...

INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFI NITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI ....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI.... INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFI NITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI ...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...I NFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFIN ITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI. ...INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....I NFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFIN ITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI. ..INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...IN FINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINI TI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI.. ..INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....IN FINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINI TI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI.. .INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INF INITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINIT I....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI... .INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INF INITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINIT I...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI... INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFI NITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI ....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI.... INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFI NITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI ...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...I NFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFIN ITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI. ...INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....I NFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFIN ITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI. ..INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...IN FINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINI TI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI.. ..INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....IN FINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINI TI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI.. .INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INF INITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINIT I....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI... .INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INF INITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINIT I...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI... INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFI NITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI ....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI.... INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFI NITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI ...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...I NFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFIN ITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI. ...INFINITI...INFINITI....INFINITI...INFINITI....I NFINITI...