4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tc For Auto Trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 01:30 PM

Tc For Auto Trans

Hi, I searched forums on torque converters for auto trans, but didn't find any results or dynos. Have anyone done tc mod to their 95-99 auto maxima? If so, what are advantages and dissatvantages of using it (mpg, acceleration, hp, torque, shifting smoothness, etc...). I found only this on maxima.org:

"With this mod you actually loose power at the expense of the added stall speed (i.e. more slip before stall speed is achieved). What you get in return is much better torque multiplication which is what makes for stronger launches at wide open throttle (WOT). It will allow you to launch at higher rpms which is only beneficial if you have slicks or drag radials. On regular tires, you'd only spin worse. With sticky tires, you can launch like a rocket which is an advantage especially when your engine is not that responsive through mid range torque."

English please, torque multipliaction? With stock tires spin worse? Added stall speed? You will loose power?

Please post any experiences related to tc (torque converter).
Old 02-24-2003, 08:31 PM

Re: Tc For Auto Trans

Originally posted by litxus
Hi, I searched forums on torque converters for auto trans, but didn't find any results or dynos. Have anyone done tc mod to their 95-99 auto maxima? If so, what are advantages and dissatvantages of using it (mpg, acceleration, hp, torque, shifting smoothness, etc...). I found only this on maxima.org:

"With this mod you actually loose power at the expense of the added stall speed (i.e. more slip before stall speed is achieved). What you get in return is much better torque multiplication which is what makes for stronger launches at wide open throttle (WOT). It will allow you to launch at higher rpms which is only beneficial if you have slicks or drag radials. On regular tires, you'd only spin worse. With sticky tires, you can launch like a rocket which is an advantage especially when your engine is not that responsive through mid range torque."

English please, torque multipliaction? With stock tires spin worse? Added stall speed? You will loose power?

I have the Protorque on my 95 GLE. I also have the Valve body mod.

The car does come out of the hole quicker. It is not an advised mod unless you have extensive mods.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:39 PM

The car does come out of the hole quicker. It is not an advised mod unless you have extensive mods.

Our maximas are not like other cars that have tons of HP/torque but wimpy TC's. I have a GS400 with a ton of NA Hp but no take off. The TC on it will be beneficial. On the max, w/o boost, it's not really worth it compared to the cost.

Our maximas are not like other cars that have tons of HP/torque but wimpy TC's. I have a GS400 with a ton of NA Hp but no take off. The TC on it will be beneficial. On the max, w/o boost, it's not really worth it compared to the cost.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

If people like you clicked the button once the server wouldn't be overloaded everytime i tried to read or reply to a post.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by fearthegecko
If people like you clicked the button once the server wouldn't be overloaded everytime i tried to read or reply to a post.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
Old 02-25-2003, 07:23 AM

You're so right....I by my self have tied up traffic on the server .

Maybe if the server gave the correct message instead of "website not responding", I would have moved on.

Or maybe I just wanted some smarty pants who aint even old enough to drink yet pointing the finger at me like he KNOWS me. YOU DON'T.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

You're so right....I by my self have tied up traffic on the server
Maybe if the server gave the correct message instead of "website not responding", I would have moved on.

Or maybe I just wanted some smarty pants who aint even old enough to drink yet pointing the finger at me like he KNOWS me. YOU DON'T.
does it bother you more that i'm right, or that i'm younger than you and i'm right, and two other people (who may or may not be younger than you) agreed with me?

You're right i don't know you, and you don't know me. Click the button once and i won't say anything.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:02 AM

does it bother you more that i'm right, or that i'm younger than you and i'm right, and two other people (who may or may not be younger than you) agreed with me?

You're right i don't know you, and you don't know me. Click the button once and i won't say anything.
Is there any way this thread can be brought back to the original topic?
Old 02-25-2003, 09:56 AM

TC

TC mod might not be expensive if you do it yourself. I have seen used TC for sale for about 65$. So if you do it yourself, it is not an expensive upgrade. I just need to know is it worth it??!! ON MAXIMA.ORG FAQ IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS USELESS UPGRADE!!! Please, please post anything related to TC.

PLEASE DON'T POST ANY NOT RELATED MATERIAL TO TC!!!
YOU JUST WASTE EVERYBODY'S TIME!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:31 AM

Re: TC

TC mod might not be expensive if you do it yourself. I have seen used TC for sale for about 65$. So if you do it yourself, it is not an expensive upgrade. I just need to know is it worth it??!! ON MAXIMA.ORG FAQ IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS USELESS UPGRADE!!! Please, please post anything related to TC.

PLEASE DON'T POST ANY NOT RELATED MATERIAL TO TC!!!
YOU JUST WASTE EVERYBODY'S TIME!!!
As I told you, TC swaps are not cheap. A $65 used TC is worth exactly that $65. If you want a good one, it will cost you closer to $500. To swap the TC, you have to drop the entire tranny and replace several gaskets/seals in the process. If you have that kind of skill, go for it. I personally have had 3 different torque converters in my tranny already. I can tell you from experience that it is neither cheap nor worth it, UNLESS you are heavily modded (boost).

Making you a fraction of a sec quicker off the line when you're n/a for that kind of money is not worth it my book. Now if you want to beef up your tranny because you're running 10lbs of boost or 125 shot of N2O, that's a completely different ballgame.

BTW, I don't mind people saving money at all. The only reason I tell you that a used TC is not really a good idea is that there is no good way to find out, W/O installing, if the TC is good or not. In other words, holding it in your hands there is no way to inspect the TC externally to see if it's in good or bad shape. A blown TC can be made to look and feel just like a new one. You don't find out anything is wrong until after you install it. I personally would not want to risk that.

BTW, gecko geeko whatever your name is...if you have nothing to say about the subject, you take up just as much bandwith by replying useless and OT posts. You have something to say to me OT, email me or IM me...otherwise go back to the sandbox and let grown folks talk.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:29 AM

"torque multipliaction? With stock tires spin worse? Added stall speed? You will loose power?"

Let me explain a couple things about TCs. Basicly a TC is like a constantly variable gear. At idle, it will transmit a small amount of torque to the tranny. At higher RPMs, it will transmit more torque percentage through the TC. However, because a TC relies on fluid moving around, there has to be some energy lost in the process. A TC with a higher stall speed will allow there to be a greater difference in RPM between the engine and the input shaft of the transmission. This can be seen by holding the brake and the throttle down at the same time. The engine will rev up to a certain point, but no more, while the car stays still. A higher stall speed TC will allow the engine to rev up even higher. A higher stall speed is beneficial because as we all know, our cars produce more torque at RPMs higher than 2500 to 3000 rpms than those RPMS closer to idle. This allows you to take advantage of the torque at those RPMs from a stop. However, you lose out in top speed in a particular gear because there will be a greater difference in engine speed and tranny input shaft.

So a TC is great for launching, bad for fuel economy. That's why our TCs lock in overdrive, so those highway drives can save you a few MPGs.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:29 AM

Re: Re: TC

BTW, gecko geeko whatever your name is...if you have nothing to say about the subject, you take up just as much bandwith by replying useless and OT posts. You have something to say to me OT, email me or IM me...otherwise go back to the sandbox and let grown folks talk. [/B][/QUOTE]

gecko geeko
Jamie you are right on this one. No point in the TC unless you are doing a lot of 1/4's and are putting down lots more power. On a non-boosted engine it would b e a waste of money.

I would not recommend buying a $65 TC unless:
It is warranted
You have someone who can install it properly.

Are you boosted or just trying to get a quicker jump off the line?

D
Old 02-26-2003, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: TC

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

BTW, gecko geeko whatever your name is...if you have nothing to say about the subject, you take up just as much bandwith by replying useless and OT posts. You have something to say to me OT, email me or IM me...otherwise go back to the sandbox and let grown folks talk.
Okay, let me just get my diaper changed first......

Anyway, I will post something on the subject: The only time i've ever heard of someone doing a TC mod is if it goes bad in the first place, or they're changing a tranny. JAIMIE is right, it's really not worth it unless you're extremely boosted, and happen to have extra cash lying around.

Let me ask you something: Do you happen to have a spare TC lying around and the knowledge on tranny's to do it, and you're just asking if it's worth your time, or is this purely hypothetical?