4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B&G sag

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

B&G sag

Put my B&G's in 2 weeks ago - looked like this:

With just my stereo in the trunk, and spare, it looks like this:

(Car on right)

It seems the B&G's don't hold weight at all - with the stereo in my trunk (1 10" Sub, small box, 2 amps, 1 12"Sub, small box) - the car just sags BAD. Even lower than when I had my Sprints in.

There's 3 finger widths from the top of the tire to the fender in the front, and only 1 in the back, and when I put a simple 12lb weight in, it's 0 finger widths in the back.

Also, the car feels floaty in the back - turns that the SPrints took with no problem, cause me to chase my rear axle across the road in the B&G's.

What's up with this? Anyone else have this problem?

IanS
Old 02-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is that a maxima with a stillen body kit............ in SEATTLE!!!!

J/K

Well if you still have the sprints but them on in the back or you could use some kind of rubber spacer thing? Out of curiosity ....how many fingers were the sprints in the rear?

Last note: your car looks way cleaner in that second pic, other one must not have any light on it or its just dirty. But it is a 95 or 96 so it might be a different shade.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:03 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Yeah, I saw his car on Sunday, the rear is WAY lower than with the sprints, deffinetly sagging...
Old 02-24-2003, 10:05 PM

you auto or 5spd?? For an auto that is WAY saggy man. 5spd I could see but dang!! This right here is what is making me to think to look at progress springs........round teh same drop if you get that stereo to mash down the spring the .2" more! lol
Old 02-24-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
Is that a maxima with a stillen body kit............ in SEATTLE!!!!

Last note: your car looks way cleaner in that second pic, other one must not have any light on it or its just dirty. But it is a 95 or 96 so it might be a different shade.
the 95-96 maximas have a pearl white color, which probably explains the more dirty toned color @ nite.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
you auto or 5spd?? For an auto that is WAY saggy man. 5spd I could see but dang!! This right here is what is making me to think to look at progress springs........round teh same drop if you get that stereo to mash down the spring the .2" more! lol
I am Auto, my car was just washed - and 95/96 uses the same shade as 97 (mine) - His paint was just REALLY oxidized....

The guy double parks like that, but obviously doesn't give a crud about his car His bodykit was way scratched up too.

Anyway - Anyone actually want to talk about this? Maybe I installed wrong, or I'm smoking crack or something?

I'm thinking I'll try and put spacers in - if that doesn't work, I may just put the Sprints back on in the rear, and ride with a mismatched setup - ghetto style!
Old 02-24-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by iansw

I am Auto, my car was just washed - and 95/96 uses the same shade as 97 (mine) - His paint was just REALLY oxidized....

The guy double parks like that, but obviously doesn't give a crud about his car His bodykit was way scratched up too.

Anyway - Anyone actually want to talk about this? Maybe I installed wrong, or I'm smoking crack or something?

I'm thinking I'll try and put spacers in - if that doesn't work, I may just put the Sprints back on in the rear, and ride with a mismatched setup - ghetto style!
That looks way off? 96sleeper (auto) carries two tires/w rims, jack, tools, ect to the track and his isn't even close to sagging that much??

Auto or 5spd won't matter too much in the rear. The front is the only place it will differ between the two. B&G's make the car level, and since the front fender is cut larger it gives the apperance of a 1 finger (or about) difference.

Are the tight coils at the top or bottom on your rear springs? They should be at the top, but this actually shouldn't change the height (at least I don't think it would).

Also, what shocks do you have?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Victim64

That looks way off? 96sleeper (auto) carries two tires/w rims, jack, tools, ect to the track and his isn't even close to sagging that much??

Auto or 5spd won't matter too much in the rear. The front is the only place it will differ between the two. B&G's make the car level, and since the front fender is cut larger it gives the apperance of a 1 finger (or about) difference.

Are the tight coils at the top or bottom on your rear springs? They should be at the top, but this actually shouldn't change the height (at least I don't think it would).

Tokico Blues - from what I know, even a totally blown strut will only make the car go down 1/8"......It's the spring that holds up the car.

The springs were installed correctly - but I'll double check just to make sure.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:19 PM

should've went with the H&R's - they can hold up better
Old 02-25-2003, 12:47 AM
syc

that's why I got Progress
Old 02-25-2003, 01:15 AM
Sports Button FTW

i dont know how to fix problem but thanks for giving me a reason to keep my sprints...i think its too low but if its not broken, dont fix it, thats my motto....
Old 02-25-2003, 03:42 AM
Ramius83

Ian, read this on page 4 from DashingMax on this thread, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=4 :

Originally posted by dashingMax

I assumed that both Max's are identical. They should be for they are BOTH 99 SE-L manufactured 3 months apart from each other according to the factory sticker (mine being older). Hence, I compared the drop with my wife's Max. Its TRUE that the rear wheels are tucked a little in than the front wheels. Therefore, regardless what lowering springs one uses, the lower the car, the perception of sagging will be inevitable.

UPDATE: I purchased "spring spacers" from AutoZone last night & installed them this morning.
Parts: Coil Spring Stabilizers manufactured by Motormite Division of R&B Inc. BTW, they are traded on the NASDAQ, symbol RBIN.
Cost: $4.99 for a set of 4 pieces. SKU# 81500
Installation:
1) Lift one side of the rear with the OEM jack until the wheel is off the ground and the springs are unloaded.
2) Install one spring spacer at the top-most coil where it will fit. Using a hammer, tap one "Coil Spring Stabilizer" between the coils in one of the springs.
3) Tap the other stabilizer into the spring at approximately 45-60 degrees from the other stabilizer.
4) Lower the car and repeat the steps for the other side.
5) Test drive and recheck everything. Test drive again, this time take sharp turns at reasonably fast speeds (always obey the law ) and recheck everything again.

Now it looks just PERFECT. The decrease in drop should be 0.25"-0.30".
------------
I am now sitting 1.6" lower in front and 1.3" in rear.!! I am glad I found this solution, for I was almost ready to buy Cattman Coilovers.

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2003, 05:06 AM

I don't understand what the problem is...maybe they sent the wrong springs again

My car is perfectly even. I have a big, heavy tool box in my trunk. It's absolutely an even drop.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by Lime
I don't understand what the problem is...maybe they sent the wrong springs again

My car is perfectly even. I have a big, heavy tool box in my trunk. It's absolutely an even drop.
Nope, verified the spring part numbers before putting them on this time - they are the right springs.

Th spring spacers only help 1/3rd of an inch at most - I need to lift it a good inch. It's dropped about 2.5 inches right now, with the trunk loaded.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:50 AM
Administrator

i can't see it because the pic isn't working... but load on your trunk shouldn't cause excessive sagging..

oh and looking at lime's car in the pic on her homepage.. the front looks slightly higher than the rear
Old 02-25-2003, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i can't see it because the pic isn't working... but load on your trunk shouldn't cause excessive sagging..

oh and looking at lime's car in the pic on her homepage.. the front looks slightly higher than the rear
VPN'ed into work, so my server was unavailable....

It's really bad...

Try now.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nope, verified the spring part numbers before putting them on this time - they are the right springs.

Th spring spacers only help 1/3rd of an inch at most - I need to lift it a good inch. It's dropped about 2.5 inches right now, with the trunk loaded.
EDIT: That drop looks normal for B&Gs. (now that the pic works)

Spring spacers don't fix height problems, they only mask it and make your car ride horrable. Your isolating coils from working which will make the spring perform completely different then it's designed to.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:56 AM
Administrator

in all honesty.. i am looking at the proportion from your front to rear of lime's front to rear.. and it isn't much difference.. granted she is running stock 16's so it looks a bit diff.. CKNY's sagged too and he was running 15's.. i will go dig up a pic in a second..

it is sitting really low.. i won't discredit that, but it does not seem as though it was an installation error.. a person can't really fck up rear spring installation.. i would try to search for more cars on B&G with the same rim size as you are..

they sit the exact same way Intrax does.. and they are rated at 1.6/1.7
Old 02-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Administrator

check out Chris' pics..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=pics
Old 02-25-2003, 06:02 AM

check out Chris' pics..

Yeah, but he has a jetski attached to it!

Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Yeah, but he has a jetski attached to it!

do you really think his jetski is pulling the back down

i saw his car in person w/o the jet ski and it was sagging also.. the jetski is hardly putting any weight on the car
Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Administrator

here you go.. no jet ski

Old 02-25-2003, 07:49 AM

If it wasn't snowing, I would go snap some pics of my car. I have a 5spd, and sagging isn't much of a problem. I don't have much in my trunk though....
Old 02-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

B&G FRONT DROP PIC

B&G REAR DROP PIC

Old 02-26-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Victim64

You may have called it - i went and checked, and while the part numbers printed on the springs face upward, (and they are the right numbers) - the coils at the bottom are smaller than the coils at the top.

They look to be upside down....

Although again, I don't see how this would affect things...except for floaty handling, which I do have a little bit.

I'll fix it this weekend and let everyone know.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Administrator

You may have called it - i went and checked, and while the part numbers printed on the springs face upward, (and they are the right numbers) - the coils at the bottom are smaller than the coils at the top.

They look to be upside down....

Although again, I don't see how this would affect things...except for floaty handling, which I do have a little bit.

I'll fix it this weekend and let everyone know.

yeah it would affect drop because the weight of the car is now on the loose coils.. the reason tighter coils are on top is to support the weight of the car
Old 02-26-2003, 07:35 AM

yeah it would affect drop because the weight of the car is now on the loose coils.. the reason tighter coils are on top is to support the weight of the car
Yeah - you're probably right - I didn't install these - my buddies did it - I was working on rewiring all day.

I'm going to make them pay me back for the McDonalds....

Old 02-26-2003, 09:43 AM

Somebody in the NW will pay dearly for intalling the springs wrong, OH well, it will be done right this time and the spring saga will be over
Old 02-26-2003, 02:21 PM

are you visually impaired? Try looking at the car in person too (march 8 would be fine). I can't see any sag in the back at ALL. Perhaps that pic was taken on an incline...this one has the front wheel turned a little, so it's not as easy to tell. Also remember that the front fender flares more.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:34 PM

I'm pretty lucky not to have the infamous B&G sag in my rear end. A lot of members on this board (including myself)have had problems with B&G products. Don't get me wrong, the springs perform great and the drop is nice but for god's sake, do the springs need to be installed with the writing upside down or right side up?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:47 PM

I'm not flaming, SprintMax, but I think you are wrong.

A spring is a spring - whether it's holding most of the wieght from the bottom or top, it's still going to compress the same with the same rate if the same weight is applied in either direction - progressively wound or not. That which is tighter on top is now tighter on the bottom - but it's still tighter somehwere.

I don't think flipping them is going to fix my sagging problem the more I think about it.

Of course, I'll do it anyway, because it should be right - but it's not going to help.

IanS
Old 02-26-2003, 06:19 PM

A spring is a spring - whether it's holding most of the wieght from the bottom or top, it's still going to compress the same with the same rate if the same weight is applied in either direction - progressively wound or not. That which is tighter on top is now tighter on the bottom - but it's still tighter somehwere.

I don't think flipping them is going to fix my sagging problem the more I think about it.

Of course, I'll do it anyway, because it should be right - but it's not going to help.

IanS
I'm not flaming you, but I think you're wrong too. A spring is not just a spring. A progressive spring offers more resistance as more load is put onto it.

I want "progressive springs", but can you tell me what they are first?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by TurDz

I'm not flaming you, but I think you're wrong too. A spring is not just a spring. A progressive spring offers more resistance as more load is put onto it.

But whether it's "progressing" from the top or bottom shouldn't matter, I would think....

For my own sake, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Administrator

IanS

how do i know? i installed my sprints upside down when i first had them.. i was bottoming out over every pot hole and my tires were rubbing..
Old 02-26-2003, 07:18 PM

how do i know? i installed my sprints upside down when i first had them.. i was bottoming out over every pot hole and my tires were rubbing..
Ok, thanks SprintMax
Old 03-01-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by heems27
I'm pretty lucky not to have the infamous B&G sag in my rear end. A lot of members on this board (including myself)have had problems with B&G products. Don't get me wrong, the springs perform great and the drop is nice but for god's sake, do the springs need to be installed with the writing upside down or right side up?
ignore any writing (my cattman FSTB has the logo upside-down) and look at the spring. That's the best way to do it.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by TurDz

By the way, that doesn't mention anything about them being upside down making a difference. - One would think that no matter which way it was installed, ir would "offer more resistance as more load is put onto it."

But we'll find out tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:52 PM

OK - here's a pic.

Before I start pulling everything apart again:
Is this wrong?

IanS
Old 03-02-2003, 01:44 PM

Spring compressor is on rental and I need to know quickly.

Anyone?
Old 03-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Cumalittle

looks upside down...

Quick Reply: B&G sag