4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bucket seats to replace rear bench seating in the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 05:19 PM

bucket seats to replace rear bench seating in the maxima

i would like to get rid of the bench seat in the back of my max and put 2 more bucket/front seats in there and then make a center console to run from between the two back seats and connect to the already existing center console.i am sure this would take some work. but i am pretty sure this could be done, well i know it could be done. i think the center console would be the tricky part, as far as making it look good anyways.as far as putting the seats back there i dont think that would be to hard. only i would need a shorter seating bracket so that the seat wouldn't be 3-4 inches above the rear bench platform.has any one seen this done, would this be worth persuing. any ideas would be great.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:37 PM

good luck. i hope you figure out how to do it. i believe you'd be the first. make sure to take plenty of pics along the way
Old 02-25-2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Romeo
good luck. i hope you figure out how to do it. i believe you'd be the first. make sure to take plenty of pics along the way
is there a specific reason why you dont think it can be done.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Banned

omg thats a great idea!!!! like the 2005 maximas!! awesome!!! lol
tell me how and i will do it in 37 seconds
Old 02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i've been thinking of doing that for a while now, just dont know how it could be done, having two bucket seats in the back would be great, but sadly i dont have the resources or the time to attempt such a feat right now, keep us in the loop. i wana see how it turns out.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think it could be done.

I would suggest using the existing bench seat because it already fits. Cut it into two halves. Remove the excess from the middle of each half where the new center console extension will go. It might be a good idea to get a professional apolstry shop to handle this so that it will look good when finished.

Then you may or may not need to fabricate another latching mechanism similar to the ones already on your seat to help hold it down in the middle.

After that is done get a scraped center console from a local salvage yard, and use it for your center console extension. I'm not to sure how you would fasten it to your exsisting console but I'm sure that it could be done. Just get creative with it.

The beauty about this is you don't have to modify the seat back.

If you do this send me some pics. LOL
Old 02-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Custom User Title...

i don't think this can be done without spending lots o $$$. unless you just use an axe and go at it for a good hour or two.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:59 PM

no no, not cutting the rear bench apart, removing it completely and adding two nice racing seats.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Jepht20
i don't think this can be done without spending lots o $$$. unless you just use an axe and go at it for a good hour or two.
ye of little faith.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Triocet
no no, not cutting the rear bench apart, removing it completely and adding two nice racing seats.
i was at first contemplating this. but this would require me to come up with 4 racing seats, i wouldn,t want to just put two in the back. plus i figured i could get two front seats from a salvage yard. and work it out that way.the hell with cutting my bech seat. good idea but i just wouldn't go at it that way. you cut the center section out and when people sit there they'll probably have a tendancy to slide towards the center. it would be off balance.personally it just wouldn't look as good.but it probably would be easier.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:15 PM

i kinda got lost in what you were saying there, in any case, see what you can do, i'll try to look around to see if there are any sports cars with bucket front seat that could fit in the back of the maxima.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Sin

The biggest problem you will find is getting in buckets that will actually leave leg room back there. Just compare your front seats to your rears and you'll see what I mean.

As for doing the console, that's actually pretty easy. Just make a mold/frame, easiest would probably some kind of foam that you could shave down to shape. Then layer fibreglass over. 3 layers will be plenty for this application. Then shape with cutting/sanding. Then use a putty/filler to make smooth, then prime and paint. It'll probably take one weekend to do this part.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:21 PM

or if you have the resources you can mold it from carbon fiber then add another layer of plastic under it to hold it, my friend did the dashboard on his Civic like that, looks great.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:33 PM
The original VQ...

Its possible because people in hondas do it allthe time, But WHY??
It is a waste of time and lots of money.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by maxmale

ye of little faith.

well, prove me wrong and best of luck doing it!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
Its possible because people in hondas do it allthe time, But WHY??
It is a waste of time and lots of money.
i dont want people in the rear seat to be flying around when power slide into a corner....
Old 02-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Father of the 00 VI

you will have to cut into the frame if you use seats because of the height ,your best bet is to get molded foam to shape this up because there are already two nice dips in the metal.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Sin

i dont want people in the rear seat to be flying around when power slide into a corner....
Oh! Ok then. So you want to be reckless and endanger the lives of your passengers. GREAT!

If you want to push the limits of your car, keep it to the track. Especially hard cornering.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:47 PM

hmmm..the server is slow today

anyway, yes, i do keep it to the track,
Old 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds hot, me wants pix.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:19 PM

Good luck! If you do, do this i want to see pics it would be pretty nice to see.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:50 PM
AssyrianRacer

WHoa!

Insterad of buckets put captains chairs so you dont slide around when turning, This is a great idea man!!!

Old 02-25-2003, 07:55 PM

we could remove the fuel tank, and put a coffee table and recliners back there!!! with a full AV system of course.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Powerslide in a FWD car? Ummmm, that's called "understeer"

You do know what a powerslide is, right

Dave
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: bucket seats to replace rear bench seating in the maxima

i would like to get rid of the bench seat in the back of my max and put 2 more bucket/front seats in there and then make a center console to run from between the two back seats and connect to the already existing center console.i am sure this would take some work. but i am pretty sure this could be done, well i know it could be done. i think the center console would be the tricky part, as far as making it look good anyways.as far as putting the seats back there i dont think that would be to hard. only i would need a shorter seating bracket so that the seat wouldn't be 3-4 inches above the rear bench platform.has any one seen this done, would this be worth persuing. any ideas would be great.
Drop the center armrest and paint a bucket on the backrest of each
seat. Voila! Instant bucket seats.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 PM

after i read this thread to my girl and asked her what she thought.. she said that i should build a bed back there cause that's the only thing i have left to do with my car is sleep in it... i says to her.. hmmm.. good idea honey!
Old 02-25-2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Powerslide in a FWD car? Ummmm, that's called "understeer"

You do know what a powerslide is, right

Dave
e-break man, the magic of the e-break.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:29 AM

basically you want the 04 maxima treatment?

If you made it look stock it could cost a lot. How good are you at finding materials , etc.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by pezking4

If you made it look stock it could cost a lot. How good are you at finding materials , etc.
now that is so sweet
Old 02-26-2003, 03:49 AM

what about leaving the back part of the bench there, removing the lower part(the part you sit on) and remove the bottom portion of the buckets. and just install that portion with the back part of the original bench. you would have half bench half buckets.there is almost no chance this would work, but it is an idea.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:05 AM

Did everyone forget about the pass-through? Isn't the seat back the barrier between the trunk and the rear seat section? If you take this out, won't you have a big gaping hole to the trunk?
Old 02-26-2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Did everyone forget about the pass-through? Isn't the seat back the barrier between the trunk and the rear seat section? If you take this out, won't you have a big gaping hole to the trunk?
this could be taken care of numerous ways pretty easily.
to name one find some carpet to match the existing, take out the back dash and recarpet it, and the back panel while the seats are out install seats this would take care of the hole. or you could leave the hole there
Old 02-26-2003, 11:55 AM

i think this would be a neat idea. i imagine the car would feel alot sportier to the passengers. if it was my way i would just put maxima buckets in the back instead of aftermarket racing ones. some problems that i thought of for this install are the reclining features for the seats. obviously you wouldnt be able to recline so at what angle would the seats be at(90 degree right angle?) or could it be reclined slightly for some comfort. i drew up a lil diagram of how the back would look and it looked sick as hell. I created a nice lil console between the 2 back seats and it conects to the front console. between the seats was a compartment like the front one between the front seats, i had cup holders and everything. This sounds like a modd i seriously might want to do while i convert my tan cloth interior to black leather. It also gives me an excuse not to cram my car with people. (sory i can only fit 4 people )
Maxima 2+2... sounds cool
Old 02-26-2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Magikone69
i think this would be a neat idea. i imagine the car would feel alot sportier to the passengers. if it was my way i would just put maxima buckets in the back instead of aftermarket racing ones. some problems that i thought of for this install are the reclining features for the seats. obviously you wouldnt be able to recline so at what angle would the seats be at(90 degree right angle?) or could it be reclined slightly for some comfort. i drew up a lil diagram of how the back would look and it looked sick as hell. I created a nice lil console between the 2 back seats and it conects to the front console. between the seats was a compartment like the front one between the front seats, i had cup holders and everything. This sounds like a modd i seriously might want to do while i convert my tan cloth interior to black leather. It also gives me an excuse not to cram my car with people. (sory i can only fit 4 people )
Maxima 2+2... sounds cool
yea im probably going to take some measurements when i get home. finding two tan leather seats in good condition for a good price, now that will be the hard part.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Banned

personally id be happy with just 2 gray cloth seats in the rear to match my fronts
Old 02-26-2003, 03:50 PM

alright well i took some measurements the height of the front seat from the mounting bracket to the highest point on the bottom part of the seat is around 10" tall. and the height of the rear lower part of the seat from the tallest part of the car the seat sits on, basically the rear seat measures about 3-5". so if you did this with the existing bracket(modified of course) if you were siting in the back you would be sitting about 7" higher than with the bench. and that sucks...but as far as width is concerned the seats would definatly fit with 2"-3" to spare.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Sin

alright well i took some measurements the height of the front seat from the mounting bracket to the highest point on the bottom part of the seat is around 10" tall. and the height of the rear lower part of the seat from the tallest part of the car the seat sits on, basically the rear seat measures about 3-5". so if you did this with the existing bracket(modified of course) if you were siting in the back you would be sitting about 7" higher than with the bench. and that sucks...but as far as width is concerned the seats would definatly fit with 2"-3" to spare.
7"!!! You gonna put 4' tall people in there?

I have a feeling you're going to find out how much this costs, then realize it's not feasible.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Sin

7"!!! You gonna put 4' tall people in there?

I have a feeling you're going to find out how much this costs, then realize it's not feasible.
obviously this is not the route to take, is what i was trying to say. sorry you did not pick that up. id definatly have to do something about the bracket to bring the seat height down 4-5" at least.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Sin

obviously this is not the route to take, is what i was trying to say. sorry you did not pick that up. id definatly have to do something about the bracket to bring the seat height down 4-5" at least.
You mistake what I was saying. I was saying from the beginning front seats wouldn't fit. In fact, 99% of aftermarket front seats won't fit. And that's what you are trying to put back there.

The only way I see this happening is as follows. Get aftermarket REAL sport seats. The ones with nearly no padding, basically shaped plastic/carbon fibre, THIN padding, and little else. Then you'll have to cover the rear, carpet it so it doesn't look bad. Then mount the seats using as little mounting hardware as possible. And making a custom fibreglass enclosure.

Just getting the seats will probably be about $1000 US. The rest will only cost about $150 in materials. However, it'll probably take about a solid week of work.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by pezking4

you know by doing this, it'll be a little tricker to you know.... that you were able to do with the bench seat..but I guess where theres a will theres a way...goodluck

Quick Reply: bucket seats to replace rear bench seating in the maxima