4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question about brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 04:32 AM

question about brake light

i just had my spoiler put on and the shop told me they would cut 40 off the price if they just wired it to one of the back brake lights, instead of the back window light. so now the back window light lighs up along with the spoiler. anyone have a link on how to disconnect that light? Also, is the light fixture removable? or will i just have a non-working fixture there all the time? thanks.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: question about brake light

Originally posted by PaulCT
i just had my spoiler put on and the shop told me they would cut 40 off the price if they just wired it to one of the back brake lights, instead of the back window light. so now the back window light lighs up along with the spoiler. anyone have a link on how to disconnect that light? Also, is the light fixture removable? or will i just have a non-working fixture there all the time? thanks.
It is removable, and Nissan actually sells a plastic cover to cover up the hole that is left when you remove it.

I don't exactly know ow to remove it (I made Nissan do it when I bought the car and had a spoiler added as part of the deal)

But it can't be hard. Why don't they want to use the wires from the window light and remove the window light?? It's easy to get to the wires under there...no more than $10 extra in labor (15 minutes), I would think.

IanS
Old 02-26-2003, 05:17 AM

i dont know they said it would take a little longer and it could save me money and time. i guess i wont remove it if i have to buy a part that goes over the hole, i didnt realize it would leave one. im just wondering how to disconnect that light. also- its not illegal to have both lights on or anything? im almost positive its not, and a stupid question, but just asking because ive never seen anyone have both.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:28 AM

i dont know they said it would take a little longer and it could save me money and time. i guess i wont remove it if i have to buy a part that goes over the hole, i didnt realize it would leave one. im just wondering how to disconnect that light. also- its not illegal to have both lights on or anything? im almost positive its not, and a stupid question, but just asking because ive never seen anyone have both.
It's not illegal, it just looks dumb....

The hole it leaves is simply a hole left in the carpet - the plastic cover that goes over it is just a thin plastic piece with velcro on it - cost maybe $5 from Nissan.

You can also disconnect it from underneath the rear deck lid....takes 5 minutes. Probably takes 5 more minutes to remove it altogether.

IanS
Old 02-26-2003, 05:31 AM

does anyone else sell this part. also- any directions online about how to remove this, or to just disconnect the wire?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by iansw

It's not illegal, it just looks dumb....

You will not pass inspection with two 3rd brake lights.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:34 AM

does anyone else sell this part. also- any directions online about how to remove this, or to just disconnect the wire?

Simply go out to your car and look at it - it's something I'm sure you can figure out. I'm at work right now, so I can't go out and look myself, but I know it's easy. Spend 5 minutes looking at it, and you'll figure it out.

Noone else probably sells this part. You could also just as easily go to a fabric store and buy a piece of carpet that is the same texture and color, and velcro that on.....it would work fine, and probably cost you 50 cents....