4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Would you buy a remanufactured 5-speed tranny from here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:45 PM

Would you buy a remanufactured 5-speed tranny from here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6780

Anyone experienced with this or other resellers of rebuilt transmissions, please offer any insights.

My bearings seem to be on their deathbed in my 5-speed gearbox, (like in so many other's manual trannies, apparently)

(See: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ssion+clicking)

I guess my options are:

A) Rebuild my existing tranny (taking a chance on a local shop)
B) Buy a complete remanufactured tranny w/ new clutch (like in the link above).
C) Buy a used tranny (unable to verify condition 'till it's in)
D) Buy a VLSD tranny, used (if I can locate one, again - unverifiable condition)
E) Buy a new tranny ($$$$$)

I like the idea of getting a quality (hopefully) remanufactured unit with a new replacement clutch included; from a remanufacturer with experience and high standards rather than "hoping" a local shop "gets it right" on a rebuild of my current tranny. I've heard a few horror stories on rebuilt trannies going bad way too soon.

But who knows - I'm also a bit biased considering all the sub-standard work my car was subjected to by "professionals" before I went the D.I.Y. route. This is just a job I don't have the time for 2do myself.

I am tempted to try to track down a VLSD, used, or new, if the price is right - anyone with leads/hints on this option, please post.

Any advice, insights, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Keith-
Old 03-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Would you buy a remanufactured 5-speed tranny from here?

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6780

Anyone experienced with this or other resellers of rebuilt transmissions, please offer any insights.

My bearings are starting to go bad on my 5-speed, (like so many others here, apparently)

See: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ssion+clicking

My options are:

A) Rebuild my existing tranny
B) Buy a complete rebuild w/ clutch (like in the link above).
C) Buy a used tranny in unverifiable condition
D) Buy a new tranny
E) Buy a VLSD tranny, used

Anyway, I like the idea of getting a (hopefully) quality rebuild with a new replacement clutch included, from a remanufacturer with lots of experience and high standards rather than "hoping" the shop "gets it right" & diagnoses all the little problems & fixes them correctly on this repair that requires so much attention to detail.

Buying a rebuilt (as long as it's quality) tranny and turning this into a simple bolt-up job would seem to eliminate a lot of the guesswork, no?

I'm also reluctant to buy a used 5-speed tranny in unknown condition, or a new one (way 2 much $$$$$) and having to cough up more $ for a clutch kit separately.

I am tempted to try to track down a VLSD, used, or new, if the price is right - anyone with leads/hints on this option, please post.

Any advice, insights, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Keith-
I've spoken with those guys on several occassions when doing my research - they seem pretty on the ball, and their prices on EBay are pretty good.

But I wouldn't use the stock clutch anyway, I'd get an ACT Clutch - why not get the best installed while you're at it in the first place?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:23 PM

Re: Re: Would you buy a remanufactured 5-speed tranny from here?

Originally posted by iansw

I've spoken with those guys on several occassions when doing my research - they seem pretty on the ball, and their prices on EBay are pretty good.

But I wouldn't use the stock clutch anyway, I'd get an ACT Clutch - why not get the best installed while you're at it in the first place?
I've always wanted the ACT, but $'s tight. No plans for BIG HP mods, so it's not really neccessary 4-me.

The Raybestos clutch they use - any good, or no?

So Ian, would you consider a remanufactured unit vs. having a local shop monkey around inside your existing tranny? (Plse excuse the bias)

(My problem is I don't know any good Nissan techs in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, so I'm thinking maybe it's better to just get the remanufactured unit so I know all the internals are good from the get-go).

Crap, I dunno - I really could use some good advice here, guys.

Please, anyone - opinions on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ian & thank you all.

-Keith-
Old 03-07-2003, 02:28 PM

B.U.M.P.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:30 PM

Since nearly every internal component is checnged/repaired during a rebuild, I owuld probably trust the refanufactured unit more than just having a general mechanic do a "rebuild".

This shop seems to sell alot of them, and then they Dyno test it. Sounds really good to me.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by iansw
Since nearly every internal component is checnged/repaired during a rebuild, I owuld probably trust the refanufactured unit more than just having a general mechanic do a "rebuild".

This shop seems to sell alot of them, and then they Dyno test it. Sounds really good to me.

I agree, I havent heard too many positive "mechanic rebuild" stories of the 5 speed. I for one, opened mine up after it was rebuilt by a "speciality tranny shop" and found they had parts missing (shims and oil guides), didnt change any bearings, and it looks like they didnt check the tolerances of jack. Its really hard to find quality work these days.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:52 PM

Yep - get the rebuild

I would have if I had the money to buy that AND everything else for the converison.

Unfortunately, I didn't, and now I've got a tranny with 110k on it.

But if it ever goes, I plan on rebuilding it myself.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:14 PM

You guys are the shiznit.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 AM

Hey all,

My car went into storage for the summer & now it's free again, so time to deal with this. . .

I've since done some more research & read some negative customer experiences regarding phoenixhardparts (http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv), so I'm shopping around for other reputable rebuilders who offer good solid warranties.

Anyone know any good 5-speed tranny rebuilders/remanufacturers? I'm continuing my online research. . .

All advice appreciated.

UPDATE EDIT:

Shopped all day online 2day - I have come to the conclusion that there are not many used 5-speed trannies out there and those who have them are asking a small fortune for them. -And with high mileage/no warranty, to boot!

Example: found one '96 w/ 105,000 mi: seller asking $900!

I also found rebuilders were asking anywhere from $1,130-$1,800 for rebuilt units with 12mo/12kmi warranties.

Just because I felt I was out of options, I gave phoenixhardparts a call - they have 4th gen 5-speeds remanufactured with all the Nissan factory update specifications to 2003 for $925 plus $180 shipping for both the reman unit & your core back to them. 12mo/12kmi warranty applies.

I think I may go this route, despite some concerns I have re: customer feedback I've read about them.* I'm hoping it represents only a small % of their total business. . .

*See: www.phoenixhardpartssucks.com
Old 11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i would go local if i was you, u'll never know whats gonna happen with an on-line place that u have to ship ur trans to or have one shipped from
Old 11-15-2003, 04:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You shold cal Jeff AT Maximum tuning he knows transmssions

http://www.maximumtuning.net/
Old 11-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I will have to fix mine soon as well. Even though I have a relative working at AMCO, still kinda unsure if I should rebuild it or swap it with a rebuilt.