4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3/4th tails as an option for all the 95-96ers out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

3/4th tails as an option for all the 95-96ers out there

I did these this past weekend, Came out nice, Pictures are up on my website of them on the car. These are still the test versions, i have another set of tails, going to try to match those up too see if i can get the red a little more even, but hot damn i like the way they look

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/norel

*edit* if anyone is interested in having them done, or how i did them let me know, via Email, id be happy to help you out, or do them for you myself
Old 03-12-2003, 07:11 PM

im not feeling those at all, sorry

this is what you need:

if you act fast i think RI Max still has his forsale!!

Ant
Old 03-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

i dislike them too. but its whatever makes you happy man mod away =]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah i would so rather have the red and clears
but i am also gettin bc altezzas
so i cant really poke fun

its whatever u like
Old 03-12-2003, 09:18 PM
aka UNCDooD

only thing i don't like is the fact that there is two different colors. they should look like this:

the red should match.

EDIT: hope Paul doesn't mind me swiping a pic of his car.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:41 PM

Like i said they are the test version.. more work in progress... as for the red clears, i love them, but ill be damned if i pay 250+ for a chunk of plastic .. UNC they look hot, the next step is spraying the bottom and the red on the trunk
Old 03-12-2003, 10:00 PM

Yeah i used to like my red/clear tails. But now im on to bigger and better things.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:48 PM

How much could it cost if I want to red-out the orange part and smoke all 4 pieces? I actually have altezza and was maybe looking for a variation.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:36 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

those don't match!!!!!

I am redoing my red-out next week. I got some quality vinyl tape for it hehe, it is my ghetto mod until i can find and afford red/clears. As long as I can't see those ambers...
Old 03-14-2003, 12:26 AM
V^___^V

Re: 3/4th tails as an option for all the 95-96ers out there

Originally posted by Norel
I did these this past weekend, Came out nice, Pictures are up on my website of them on the car. These are still the test versions, i have another set of tails, going to try to match those up too see if i can get the red a little more even, but hot damn i like the way they look

*edit* if anyone is interested in having them done, or how i did them let me know, via Email, id be happy to help you out, or do them for you myself
it's aite... personally i don't like to touch stock parts, and having 3 red tails and 1 clear looks somewat ackward... i have black 95 with carbon fiber altezza on them, although the hex screws got kinda jacked up but i think it give my max an "unique" look and stands out a bit more rather than "1/2 modded stock parts." and i don't think altezza is rice at all (personally opinion.)

check out my cardomain for more pix, although the pix are a bit old but still good.... i got them for $41 on ebay =) good deal!
Old 03-14-2003, 07:55 AM

Me no likey...
red/clears are the only way to go
Old 03-14-2003, 08:00 AM

ALL reds smack red\clears up, down, left and right!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:43 AM

the paint cost me 5 bucks.. thats basically the total cost.. I know they don't match, like i said its a test version, im actually goign to be painting my other set this weekend, I wasn't crazy about them first, but they are starting to grow on me, and seem like a good alternative to forking out a wad of cash for red/clears
Old 03-14-2003, 11:49 AM

I'm thinking of painting the stock tails all red. Do I just paint the non-red part or should I just paint the whole tail including the factory red part? I asked this because if I just paint the non-red part, wouldn't it look odd with one half of the tail painted, but the other isn't? I know unless you're up close you won't notice the difference, but I don't want it to look like a chessy paint job. Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2003, 12:34 PM

What red paint should we use to make them match? and what about smoking them? Is that illegal?
Old 03-14-2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
What red paint should we use to make them match? and what about smoking them? Is that illegal?
I would paint them both, the pictures on my homepafe are of only the yellow painted... If you paint the top and the bottom, it will match better, but remember you also have to paint the red on your trunk then.

As for paint, i used Hobby stained glass Spray paint.. you can probably find it at any craft store, but you want spray, this way it looks as athentic as possiable, not brush strokes or any of that stuff... hope that helps..

also don't forget to cover non-painted areas with painters tape and newspaper
Old 03-15-2003, 03:39 PM

...but remember you also have to paint the red on your trunk then.
Really? Will it dismatch(dont know if that word even exist) that much?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:25 PM

ya the spray paint is a slightly darker Shade of red.. at least mine was. Best bet is just to do trial and error, Paint just the orange first, see how you like it, then if you don't paint the two reds, and see how it looks... ALot of the paint can be removed with laquor thinner, so if its messed up with a little elbow greese you can get it off
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 PM

ya the spray paint is a slightly darker Shade of red.. at least mine was. Best bet is just to do trial and error, Paint just the orange first, see how you like it, then if you don't paint the two reds, and see how it looks... ALot of the paint can be removed with laquor thinner, so if its messed up with a little elbow greese you can get it off
Is there any special name of red or colour # that match the stock red? or one that looks a lot alike?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:33 PM

Some has said to use Candy apple red... i personally just went and got Stain Glass spray... its just called RED, some no name company.. may want to shoot for the candy apple color, i couldn't find it near me
Old 03-15-2003, 05:36 PM

Some has said to use Candy apple red... i personally just went and got Stain Glass spray... its just called RED, some no name company.. may want to shoot for the candy apple color, i couldn't find it near me
Thx for the reply, I'll look for some candy apple red.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: 3/4th tails as an option for all the 95-96ers out there

On your tailight treatment, the reverse lights are just killing it. If you could paint the reverse lights the same color as everything else, and somehow re-locate the reverse lights elsewhere, that would spruce things up quite a bit. I know, moving the reverse lights is quite a bit of work. Maybe move the revrse lights closer to the middle of the trunk, like the Lexus extra brake lights in the trunk. That would look way cool

DW

Old 03-15-2003, 07:20 PM

<--- Taking offers for a set of red/clears
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do you smoke them? Can you do it yourself or do you have to take the lights to a place that does tinting? I have altezzas for my Maxima and I think that they would look a lot better smoked. I need to get rid of the silver outline on them too.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:46 PM

Re: Re: 3/4th tails as an option for all the 95-96ers out there

Originally posted by dwapenyi
On your tailight treatment, the reverse lights are just killing it. If you could paint the reverse lights the same color as everything else, and somehow re-locate the reverse lights elsewhere, that would spruce things up quite a bit. I know, moving the reverse lights is quite a bit of work. Maybe move the revrse lights closer to the middle of the trunk, like the Lexus extra brake lights in the trunk. That would look way cool

DW

I donno, i like the reverse lights.. it sorta has a BMWish look to it, i donno im happy with how they came out, i just have to fine tune the shades of red a little more.. but thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Dev

Norel...good job man
just get all the red to match up and its all good

all these damn haters bashing you down....don't worry about them, its not their car.
just do what YOU want.

and i agree paying US$250 is just ridiculous.
do your own tails, and you'll have extra money to buy a rsb, fstb, and intake! (if you don't have them already)

and for all of you praising the 95/96 red/clears....then 97+ look better so
Old 03-16-2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by Dev
Norel...good job man

all these damn haters bashing you down....don't worry about them, its not their car.
just do what YOU want.

do your own tails, and you'll have extra money to buy a rsb, fstb, and intake! (if you don't have them already)

I agree, $250 is a lot, especially when you can buy a can of stained red glass paint form Michaels and spray everything but the revers lights. I personally like teh 3/4th look and teh results with my car were awesome. It looks better with a dark car, I guess thats why I like it so much on mine.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Dev
Norel...good job man

just do what YOU want.

Thanks for the compliments man... i just started this thread to give others the idea that if they are tight on cash, they don't have to be stuck with those Fugly Ambers...

you'll have extra money to buy a rsb, fstb, and intake!
Acutally i did just buy an intake, Frankencar... that was one thing i didn't feel like making myself ... Ypipe and high flow cat are on the way soon
Old 03-16-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD
only thing i don't like is the fact that there is two different colors. they should look like this:

the red should match.

EDIT: hope Paul doesn't mind me swiping a pic of his car.
no problem. here is a closer pic...

they are red and smoke. testors spray candy apple red and spray smoke.

--Paul
Old 03-16-2003, 05:45 PM

I like it... but only if the reds all matched...
right now i think it's a great idea... looks different.

make the reds all match and we have a winnar hehe
Old 03-16-2003, 06:38 PM

Yeah, that's cool. As the reverse lights stand out less and less, the all-red lights look even better.

You guys ever notice, I've seen this on the newest Coupe Mercedes and on an older Audi A8. Somehow they managed to keep their indicators looking red, just like the brake lights, but when they indicators actually light up, they're orange. I wonder how the do that.

DW

Originally posted by Requin6

no problem. here is a closer pic...

they are red and smoke. testors spray candy apple red and spray smoke.

--Paul