4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

15's-17's

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 03:59 PM

15's-17's

I recently made the plunge by upgrading form 15" wheels to 17" wheels. I know i need to get an alignment, but when driving, when you hit a bump, seem to want to jerk the steering wheel out of your hand. Also, very very responsible the just even the littlest of turns on the steering..Is this normal? Do i just need an alignment? Or do you need something else when upgrading? I have not lowered the car, and was wondering do you have to do everything at once to lower or can you do a little at a time? I am running 235/45/17s thanks
Old 03-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Master Will

what size tires are you using?

Old 03-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What you've experienced doesn't have anything to do with alignment. That's what happens when you go froma smalller wheel/tire to a bigger setup.
When you went to 17s, you also apparently went to wheels that weigh more, too. That weight has a negative effect on the suspension. You have increased the un-sprung weight, so the springs and shocks have to work harder to control the wheel. Also, with the bigger rim, you have bigger tires. The tires give you more feel for the road and feedback a whole lot more, too. Bigger rims hurt city driving, but really enhance highway driving.

DW