4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

windshield crack again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

windshield crack again!

Darn it! I'm on my third windshield! I just got this windshield in August '02. I was driving home from school on the highway when I heard this loud pop. I knew it was a rock that hit my windshield. I took a look and saw nothing, so I thought I escaped with no damage. Wrong! After a few minutes, I took another look and saw a 4 inch crack on the passenger side windshield. It started at the passenger side windshield wiper going upward then to the side, about a 4 inch crack. I know that the windshield warranty doesn't cover this, it only covers defects. Insurance should cover this right? I asked because the last two times I didn't bring it to my insurance company to have them take a look, I paid out of my own pocket. Dumb I know. Good thing it wasn't that expensive, paid under $200 to fix it. I just want to make sure the insurance company will cover this. If I don't get the crack fix, I think it's only going to get worse right?

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? What if I get the small hood deflector thing, would that help?
Old 03-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: windshield crack again!

Originally posted by Cumalot
Darn it! I'm on my third windshield! I just got this windshield in August '02. I was driving home from school on the highway when I heard this loud pop. I knew it was a rock that hit my windshield. I took a look and saw nothing, so I thought I escaped with no damage. Wrong! After a few minutes, I took another look and saw a 4 inch crack on the passenger side windshield. It started at the passenger side windshield wiper going upward then to the side, about a 4 inch crack. I know that the windshield warranty doesn't cover this, it only covers defects. Insurance should cover this right? I asked because the last two times I didn't bring it to my insurance company to have them take a look, I paid out of my own pocket. Dumb I know. Good thing it wasn't that expensive, paid under $200 to fix it. I just want to make sure the insurance company will cover this. If I don't get the crack fix, I think it's only going to get worse right?

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? What if I get the small hood deflector thing, would that help?

or you try to stop tailgating gravel trucks.............
Old 03-14-2003, 11:28 AM
aka UNCDooD

yes, your insurance should cover this. and the crack will only get worse. depending on how the temperature where you live varies it could grow even bigger. you should just have to pay your deductible if you go through insurance.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: windshield crack again!

This samething happened to me. Rock hit my original windshield at two differnt times in two differnt locations and now i got 2 small circles.
What I found out was that my insurace covers the glass on my car because i have full coverage. $0 deductable. Which means they will pay 100% of what it cost to change my windshield. I am getting it done tommorow.
I made sure they put in a original nissan windshield which is made by AP Tech. This job costs around $400 bucks. If you get cheap thinner windshield installed. THere is a good chance it will crack very easily again when even a small rock hits it. I have been through that on my previous cars, so i was smarter this time around.
Good luck with the 4th windshield but i suggest getting the original one which is better quality!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: windshield crack again!

Originally posted by fearthegecko

or you try to stop tailgating gravel trucks.............

Who said I was? There weren't any trunks in front of me when the rock hit my windshield. Only the first time I replaced the windshield was a result of me behind a big trunk. The second time and today weren't the case. Sometimes you just can't avoid it.

UNCDooD: thanks.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: windshield crack again!

Originally posted by kenju4u
This samething happened to me. Rock hit my original windshield at two differnt times in two differnt locations and now i got 2 small circles.
What I found out was that my insurace covers the glass on my car because i have full coverage. $0 deductable. Which means they will pay 100% of what it cost to change my windshield. I am getting it done tommorow.
I made sure they put in a original nissan windshield which is made by AP Tech. This job costs around $400 bucks. If you get cheap thinner windshield installed. THere is a good chance it will crack very easily again when even a small rock hits it. I have been through that on my previous cars, so i was smarter this time around.
Good luck with the 4th windshield but i suggest getting the original one which is better quality!

Yeah, I think the reason why the price was so cheap to replace the windshield because the quality wasn't that good. The original windshield lasted for a long time before I had to replace it. Guess I got what I paid for. Anyway, thanks...I'm bringing to the insurance people tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:34 PM

Re: windshield crack again!

Originally posted by Cumalot

That Sucks, I feel ya. Luckily I have yet to be damaged but have been hit by so much ****. I have like big truck radar and if I see one I haul *** to either get around it or slow down to avoid it.

Hey if I were you I would look for a dump truck while driving and write down the license plate and info on it then call the company and say that something fell off there truck and caused the damage. Worth a try right. I wouldn't feel bad because they have probably caused 10x the damage that happend to you and gotten away with it.