4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Too Much Resevoir coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 08:12 PM

Too Much Resevoir coolant?

Can anyone tell me if there are any negative side effects of having too much coolant in the resevoir tank? I just noticed today that the coolant in the tank is about 2 inches above the max line. I figure there must be a reason the max/min line is there.

I'm not sure if its the cold weather up here, but i compared the exhaust to my friend's maxima and mine seems to have more exhaust and whiter. Both of ours is a 99 maxima auto. I have no leaks or broken gaskets.

I'm not sure if its b/c i have too much coolant in the tank?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Too Much Resevoir coolant?

Excess coolant may have a harder time blowing off in to the bottle if there is too much coolant in there.

Originally posted by nobel
Can anyone tell me if there are any negative side effects of having too much coolant in the resevoir tank? I just noticed today that the coolant in the tank is about 2 inches above the max line. I figure there must be a reason the max/min line is there.

I'm not sure if its the cold weather up here, but i compared the exhaust to my friend's maxima and mine seems to have more exhaust and whiter. Both of ours is a 99 maxima auto. I have no leaks or broken gaskets.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:00 AM

Re: Too Much Resevoir coolant?

Originally posted by nobel

Thanks.
Did you check this with the engine warm, or cold. When the engine is cold the coolant level should be at the max line. As the engine warms up and the coolant expands, this level should go up past max, that's why the line is lower than the total capacity of that bottle. If you checked the coolant level when the engine was cold and the level was above max, as the engine warms up you could have an overflow situation as the worst case scenario.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:55 AM

When the engine is cold, the resevoir is about 2 inches over the max line. I never checked the line level when the engine is nice and warmed up........but i've never gotten a overflow. But I know what you are talking about in that case, I had a passat which was over max and when the engine warmed up coolant started coming out of the tank.

I guess its time for me to empty the coolant tank a bit.