4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just completed 60K service - and tribute to maxima.org

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 06:18 PM

Just completed 60K service - and tribute to maxima.org

After about a week of preparation (mostly waiting for UPS to arrive at the door) , I finally did my somewhat overdue 60k service. Thanks to various write-ups and individuals I've met throught the .org - everything went without a hitch. If it wasn't for the org - I would never have attempted this myself. Things done included:

Oil/filter change (Amsoil 5W-30 and OEM filter) –
New Spark Plugs (ngk Platinums)
New airfilter
PVC Valve
Drain and Fill ATF Fluid
Drain and fill Radiator Coolant
Throttle Body Clean
Replace fluid in Power Steering reservoir (3 times)
Replace brake fluid in reservoir

Things not done were replace drive belts (they looked fine to me) and Fuel filter (changed that few months ago)

Thanks to iwannabmw and Tustin Nissan for the great deals on the oil and oem parts. With the help the other write-ups (Sprintmax’s how to change spark plugs, etc) I saved myself a ton of green ones. Basically the parts (incliding amsoil) cost me $127.00 and took me about 7 hours (approx - since I did it over 2 days).
The best quote after calling all the local dealerships was $354.00 + tax (with just a dino oil change – not Amsoil). I saved around $227.00 and that priceless feeling that I did it all myself and that I did it right.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good job. Your Maxima will love you for it.

DW
Old 03-16-2003, 09:49 PM

kushane, can u tell me how u did the ATF and coolant change? I want to do that myself very soon. Weather up here in TO is getting warm. thanks.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:35 AM

Re: Just completed 60K service - and tribute to maxima.org

$127 for all these items? Seems very high for what is listed/used.

Originally posted by kushane
After about a week of preparation (mostly waiting for UPS to arrive at the door) , I finally did my somewhat overdue 60k service. Thanks to various write-ups and individuals I've met throught the .org - everything went without a hitch. If it wasn't for the org - I would never have attempted this myself. Things done included:

Oil/filter change (Amsoil 5W-30 and OEM filter) –
New Spark Plugs (ngk Platinums)
New airfilter
PVC Valve
Drain and Fill ATF Fluid
Drain and fill Radiator Coolant
Throttle Body Clean
Replace fluid in Power Steering reservoir (3 times)
Replace brake fluid in reservoir

Things not done were replace drive belts (they looked fine to me) and Fuel filter (changed that few months ago)

Thanks to iwannabmw and Tustin Nissan for the great deals on the oil and oem parts. With the help the other write-ups (Sprintmax’s how to change spark plugs, etc) I saved myself a ton of green ones. Basically the parts (incliding amsoil) cost me $127.00 and took me about 7 hours (approx - since I did it over 2 days).
The best quote after calling all the local dealerships was $354.00 + tax (with just a dino oil change – not Amsoil). I saved around $227.00 and that priceless feeling that I did it all myself and that I did it right.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Awesome!
I have to start prepping for my 75K service...which is uhm...wait...like nothing? jk. I have a lot of minor things I want to replace, but nothing exciting. I want to clean off the O2's and such, clean TB again, clean IACV, perhaps replace some gaskets.... I already flushed coolant...I will be flushing the brakes and power steering...boring, messy stuff.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by nobel
kushane, can u tell me how u did the ATF and coolant change? I want to do that myself very soon. Weather up here in TO is getting warm. thanks.
I just did a drain & Fill for the Auto tranny fluid. Draining it is actually easier than draining the engine oil itself. Under the tranny - you'll see the transmission oil pan (to the right of the engine looking from the top). On the bottom surface it - you'll see a 19mm drain screw. That will drain close to about 4 quarts. Refill oil by sticking a funnel to where the tranny oil dipstick goes in the engine bay.

For the coolant - I kinda took a shortcut method as described on www.motorvate.ca which is just drain the coolant in the radiator and not in the block itself. This drained about 6 quarts (+/-) which is not a problem since I do this ritual every spring. The drain screw for the radiator is on the bottom surface of the radiator (offset to the right - looking from the top). On the front engine cover there is a round hole (about the size of a quarter) and the drain screw is located inside that. It is removed with a phillips screwdriver. I refilled with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water (maybe different depending on where you live).

Originally posted by thanpto
$127 for all these items? Seems very high for what is listed/used.

Not really since 6 OEM spark plugs come out to around $55.00 and 4 quarts of Amsoil shipped is in the mid $20's.
Stuff like the oil filter, airfilter, pcv valve are all Nissan OEM which is a little more expensive that autozone stuff.
4 quarts of DexronIII are about $12.00 and the rest were just coolant, brake and power steering fluid.