4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R/AGX suspension installed...making noises...help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:54 PM

H&R/AGX suspension installed...making noises...help???

Hi, I just installed my H&R/AGX today and my front right strut is making a banging noise when I go over a bump. I have everything torqued to the correct specs, but it is still making noises. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: H&R/AGX suspension installed...making noises...help???

Originally posted by Asian_N02
Hi, I just installed my H&R/AGX today and my front right strut is making a banging noise when I go over a bump. I have everything torqued to the correct specs, but it is still making noises. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
is it a loud banging? more description would help.

If its any help, I've had that problem also when I got my AGX's installed w/ stock springs. Umm...be sure everything is tight. something still might be loose, because I let the mechanic who installed mine the first time know...and he tighted them up (don't know exactly what was loose) within a few minutes of putting the car on the lift.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 PM

yes...it is a loud banging noise. Everything is bolted tight. here are the torques I used...

Strut mounts (3 top nuts) 30 - 40 Ft/Lbs
Piston nut (center nut) 50 Ft/Lbs
Strut lower mounting bolts 100 - 120 Ft/Lbs (with car still jacked up)
Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 PM

It may be your spring, did you wrap it in wire wrap?? I recommend doing that it lessens the noise.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by zeff789
It may be your spring, did you wrap it in wire wrap?? I recommend doing that it lessens the noise.
Yes, I used the wire wrap from radio shack on all the springs...

The bumps were small bumps in the road, and it made loud banging noises...I didn't attempt to drive anywhere other than the parking lot...it's still at the shop right now.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did u torque it when the car was still on jacks? Sometimes if you torque the car down right after the install it doesnt allow the parts to fully settle in. Try re-torqueing it and let us know.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
Did u torque it when the car was still on jacks? Sometimes if you torque the car down right after the install it doesnt allow the parts to fully settle in. Try re-torqueing it and let us know.
I torqued when I let the car down off the jacks. I will try again tomorrow and see if it is still making noises. Is a possible problem because the spring is not seated right???
Old 03-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure the strut bearing isn't in upside down.

Make sure the upper spring perch is clocked correctly. The word OUT should face out or in line with the lower mount on the strut.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Make sure the upper spring perch is clocked correctly. The word OUT should face out or in line with the lower mount on the strut.
Upper spring perch is clocked correctly with the word "out" facing out, and I put the strut bearing in the correct way. I will double check though. Is it because the center nut isn't torqued down enough?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:54 PM

did H&R install two days ago

no noises here, but make sure the word out is lined up with the strut
also suggest dialing your AGX to their top (stiff) settings
otherwise you will be very dissapointed with the ride.
went from Sprints and KYB AGX set at 1 at the front and 2 rear
to H&R set at 4 at the front to 7 at the rear.

njmaxseltd - your suspension knowledge is very apperciated here,
but have one question concerning your KYB AGX settings
what settings you recomend with H&R ?
took me over 230 miles to figure out that H&R's need the stiffest setting from KYB AGX.

Thanks
Nick
Old 03-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Could it just be a bad strut, you saying only one of them doing that?? it could be defective one. i could be wrong..
Old 03-23-2003, 07:58 PM

I just received my H&R springs on Friday, and I will be receiving my KYB/AGX's this week along with a few suspension replacement parts. I searched the forums checking to see what I needed and many people kept referring people with questions or noise problems to one thread, this one:

Part #s for OEM Nissan Recommend Suspension Replacement Parts

Many have been asking about the part #s for the OEM isolation sleeves for which I used on my H&Rs to eliminate any chances of noise coming from my suspension. Install was done at Maximum Tuning (516)676-8470. Installed were new KYB AGXs, H&Rs, ES FSB Bushings. Replaced were FSB endlinks (def. check on these when you do your suspension, thanks to Jeff noticing, my passenger side endlink was completely broken off, prob due to NYC pothole, supposedly common problem of them breaking on the Maximas). I wouldn't recommend any other shop to do the install, I'm even getting my friend with a 525i to get his suspension done there.

*highly recommend

The following parts were bought from Koeppel Nissan in Queens:
2 - *Strut Bearings (54325-5V000) - 27.16 each
2 - *Front Dust Boots, includes the bumpstops (54050-38U02) - 12.11 each
2 - *Rear Dust Boots, includes the bumpstops (55240-0M315) - 23.76 each
2 - Front Rubber Seats (54034-31U01) - 10.40 each

The FSB endlinks that were bought to replace the broken ones were bought at Baron Nissan by Jeff's shop

2 - FSB Endlinks (54618-0E000) - 10.84 each

The remaining parts were ordered from Courtesy Nissan
2 - *Front Spring Polyurethane Isolation Sleeves(top) (54034 - 31U01) - 9.17 each
4 - *Front Spring Polyurethane Isolation Sleeves(bottom, 2 on each spring) (54034 - 31U20) - 9.19 each
2 - Rear Rubber Seat (55034 - 31U00) - 8.16 each
2 - Front Orange Spacer (54329 - 39U00) - 7.22 each
2 - Rear Bushings (56218 - 61L10) - 1.81 each
4 - *ES FSB Endlink Bushings (4803G) - 2.73 each

To anyone upgrading their suspension, I highly recommend the items with an *, in my case I have a 98 with ~60K driven in NYC and I just felt that I should replace any wear items. I want to do my suspension right the first time and not worry about noise down the road, pretty much I don't want to have to mess with my suspension ever again. For the isolation sleeves, I def recommend this as a must. I've seen the wire loom recommended by people on the org and it just doesn't compare with the OEM Nissan ones. The Nissan ones are just thicker and go on with a self adhesive on the inside of the polyurethane tubing. Since the install 2 weeks ago, my car is dead quiet, just the hum of my catback, plus I've taken the setup through the best NYC has to offer, not one squeak. Def also get new bushings for the FSB if not the ES ones, when my old ones were taken out, they were compressed to a 1/3 of their original size.

END OF THREAD

I ordered the parts that were highly recommended as well as the FSB bushings, and the rear isolation sleeves for the springs(one for each spring). I did not have the # for the rear sleeves but Kaleb at Courtesy Nissan helped me out with this. It all came out to $214.xx not cheap, but my car already has 100k on it and is probably due for a few of these parts. Besides my local dealer wanted almost $400 dollars for all these parts, so I don't feel so bad. I just don't want a noisy suspension. Maybe you did all this already, but if not let me know if you are interested in the prices for the items that I bought.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Old Timer

Re: H&R/AGX suspension installed...making noises...help???

My cardoes a similar thing. Mine is more of a banging rattle. I just dropped using stock struts though. The 2" drop just made my blown struts more noticable. Illumas should be here soon. Sounds to me like a blown strut possibly.
David
Old 03-23-2003, 10:57 PM

i just got home from installing agx/h&r's. myself and ethan (emax02) did them, and when we were taking them off we lost the order of all the part on the shocks, and we forgot if the bushing went on top, or bottom. so we later realized it went on top but if we to leave it on the bottom it would make a loud banging noise quite similar to what you discribed. are you sure that you put everything back together corectly?? we took our time and did the project, and i have no complaints, or noises... double check everything. goodluck.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Blkmax95c
i just got home from installing agx/h&r's. myself and ethan (emax02) did them, and when we were taking them off we lost the order of all the part on the shocks, and we forgot if the bushing went on top, or bottom. so we later realized it went on top but if we to leave it on the bottom it would make a loud banging noise quite similar to what you discribed. are you sure that you put everything back together corectly?? we took our time and did the project, and i have no complaints, or noises... double check everything. goodluck.
will do...thank you very much!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:48 AM

check the alignment of the top mount; there is a F for front on there. Also be sure to check that bushings and bearings are placed properly.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Agreed...

The noise might be caused by the strut bearing not sitting correctly...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the input!!! I did not torque the center nut down enough...now the car rides noise free!!! Thank you org!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:09 PM

will do...thank you very much!!!
hey no problem, have fun taking off your suspention again... it is a royal pain, especialy since you alredy finished and now you have to go back and do it again. goodluck, and let us know how it turned out.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the input!!! I did not torque the center nut down enough...now the car rides noise free!!! Thank you org!!!

Old 06-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Ludicrous Speed

How do you know when you've torqued it enough?