4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I get b-pipe with or without resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:47 PM

Should I get b-pipe with or without resonator?

Hey all

My resonator has a hole in it... OMG this baby is LOUD!!!!

Is it a good idea to only replace that part, or just get a whole new b-pipe?

It wasn't sooo sooooo sooo bad... but on my last half mile home tonight... wow, that hole must have gotten bigger, cause god it got a heck of alot louder!

I was thinking of getting budget's b-pipe without the resonator. But I'm assuming this will make my car much louder? or?

I'm looking for decently silent... I dont mind if i hear the slight exhaust sound. Just nothing like i hear now... WAY too loud!

What would you guys recommend?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:50 PM

Re: Should I get b-pipe with or without resonator?

Originally posted by multiplexor
Hey all

My resonator has a hole in it... OMG this baby is LOUD!!!!

Is it a good idea to only replace that part, or just get a whole new b-pipe?

It wasn't sooo sooooo sooo bad... but on my last half mile home tonight... wow, that hole must have gotten bigger, cause god it got a heck of alot louder!

I was thinking of getting budget's b-pipe without the resonator. But I'm assuming this will make my car much louder? or?

I'm looking for decently silent... I dont mind if i hear the slight exhaust sound. Just nothing like i hear now... WAY too loud!

What would you guys recommend?
I have y Y-pipe, B-pipe from budget and a 2001 muffler going on wed. I got the resonated B-pipe cause i dont want anything super loud. The resonator that they weld in is a magnaflow and it looks pretty sweet. Ill let ya know how loud mine is wed.

Brett
Old 03-24-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by slammed95
Definitely get a resonator. I have the budget y, with a 2.5" custom b-pipe with no resonator, and stock muffler. It sounds bad, loud rattling and buzzing at medium to heavy throttle, and deceleration.

I'm gonna be getting a budget b-pipe with resonator.
cool... that's what i had thought might happen... just that the one without the resonator is soo much cheaper...

Now i must order it... oye..
Old 03-24-2003, 09:07 PM

with resonator

get one with a resonator....
Old 03-24-2003, 09:20 PM

question... can i only buy a resonator? or must i change
the whole b-pipe?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by multiplexor
question... can i only buy a resonator? or must i change
the whole b-pipe?
[/QUOTE

if your pipe is still in good shape you can buy just the resonator.. if its ify, get a new b-pipe
Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM

I keep hearing that it sounds "like rice" without the resonator. I would really like to hear it in person because i dont see how a 3.0 liter maxima can sound like some ricy honda. What if you put a nice magna flow or a 50 or 60 series flowmaster on the end of your B with no resonator? I dont see how it could sound anything but deep and somewhat mellow.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by koldsimer
I keep hearing that it sounds "like rice" without the resonator. I would really like to hear it in person because i dont see how a 3.0 liter maxima can sound like some ricy honda. What if you put a nice magna flow or a 50 or 60 series flowmaster on the end of your B with no resonator? I dont see how it could sound anything but deep and somewhat mellow.
Trust me, I have a Magnaflow series 14829 on my car. And my b pipe had no Res on it. It sounded constant Bees in the Can sound. Kinda like a popping muffler. Had to immediatly take it to the shop to put a res on it, and It sounds MUCH MUCH BETTER! I learned that without a res, it does sound like a Honda belive it or not. Its horrible actually, Mad Beez in the Can. Got the res, all fixed now. Nice low Rumble from the Magnaflow.

Nick
Old 03-24-2003, 11:42 PM

Wow. That's good to know. I'm amazed that it makes such a difference. Makes since because it's basically another small cherry bomb style muffler. I still have my stock B with a flowmaster 50. It sounds nice from idle to 2500 but it get's much quieter as the revs increase. I will get the b with a resonator more than likely.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:42 AM

check out my car movies

just click the link below " Ceasars Chariot"
Old 03-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Dev

Originally posted by koldsimer
its not easy to make the maxima sound nice. unlike domestics, where you stick anything on the exhaust and it sounds good, you know that imports sound like crap most of the time, and the maxima is no exception to this. we have a very small v6...which is comparable to honda's 3.0 in the accord. so why wouldn't the maxima sound ricey?
i have heard maxima's with unresonated bpipes, and the car sounds like complete A$$.

get the bpipe resonated now, because if you don't you'll kick yourself and lose more money ordering a second bpipe.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:58 AM
T2CTeamShift

Ha

Get it without, the resonator just basically kills noise, you wont notice it with or without it because of all the insilation, It also kills HP, and a lot of it too

Old 03-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Dev

Re: Ha

Originally posted by T2CTeamShift
Get it without, the resonator just basically kills noise, you wont notice it with or without it because of all the insilation, It also kills HP, and a lot of it too
i don't know if you're joking, but thats totally wrong.
you WILL notice the difference when your car has the raspiness of an integra with a straight though exhaust.

and how does it kill a lot of horsepower?

its a glass pack thats put around the pipe and it doesn't affect airflow.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:13 AM

lol i was leaving for work this morning... just as I turn out of the parking and onto the street... my resonator falls off... still attached to the cat..... so now i'm at home figuring out how i'm going
to get to work...

It broke after the resonator. The pipe that attaches to it is just floating there.

Well off to work, somehow...
Old 03-25-2003, 06:44 AM

Re: Re: Should I get b-pipe with or without resonator?

Originally posted by Krash513

I have a Y-pipe, B-pipe from budget and a 2001 muffler going on wed. I got the resonated B-pipe cause i dont want anything super loud. The resonator that they weld in is a magnaflow and it looks pretty sweet. Ill let ya know how loud mine is wed.

Brett
Did you initially buy an unresonated b-pipe and add your resonator after the fact? Did they chop a part of your b-pipe to fit in the Magnaflow resonator?

My set-up is a lot like yours though with no resonator. I've got to agree, it sounds "raspy". (At first, I thought the raspy sound was from the variable-pressure valve thing in my 2K1 muffler.)
Old 03-25-2003, 06:50 AM
T2CTeamShift

Re: Re: Ha

Originally posted by Dev

i don't know if you're joking, but thats totally wrong.
you WILL notice the difference when your car has the raspiness of an integra with a straight though exhaust.

and how does it kill a lot of horsepower?

its a glass pack thats put around the pipe and it doesn't affect airflow.
Look at how thin the pipe is, its restricting, the only time youll hear it is if you floor your car

Old 03-25-2003, 06:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ha

Originally posted by T2CTeamShift

Look at how thin the pipe is, its restricting, the only time youll hear it is if you floor your car
What part of the b-pipe is "restricting" ? and how is that related to the "thin" pipe?