4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:51 PM

Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

I have H&R springs with spacers in the rear to eliminate the sag my stereo and 5peed contribute to make. It turns out however that the spacers are actually hitting my strut so I'm going to have to take them out. I can't live with the sag so I'm thinking of cutting one front coil on the H&R's. For those that have cut a coil I need you opinions. How much lower will one coil drop me? How will the ride quality change? Will there be excess noise?

I chose H&R's for the modest drop and relative comfort...since I live in downtown and the roads/potholes suck. Do you think maybe investing in a different set of springs would be a better option? I can't go back to stock and I can't ride with the sag (trust me it's there and pretty bad) Please let me know how my ride will change and look with the front coils cut or if you have any other suggestions to eliminate the saggy rear end.

PS I'm riding on stock wheels since I chose to buy another bike. So I don't want an extreme drop on the stockies. Check out the pic with the current set-up and try to imagine with one front coil cut and the rear spacers gone. I'm guessing it would sit at the same angle, just a bit lower. http://www.cardomain.com/id/rmax007

Thanks in advace
Old 03-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

Get sprints and save you some trouble.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

I thought he said that he didn't want an extreme drop???
Old 03-26-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Opinions on Cutting Front Coil !!!

True...I'm looking for something similar to H&R for ride quality and drop. If I buy new springs then I'm looking for about a 1.5 or 1.6 in front and 1.3 in the rear. What do you guys think about cutting one coil up on the front?...I'm not made of cash and have money invested in these springs.

Also, does anyone have the spec for all the springs available...I've seen them on here before, but the search function is down. Thanks

Originally posted by BigJuice

I thought he said that he didn't want an extreme drop???
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 PM

I had the opposite problem where my back was considerably higher than the front so I simply cut the spring. Everyone is going to tell you not to but cutting springs is VERY common and done all the time with customized cars, new and old.

I cut one coil and it lowered about half an inch. I was hoping for a little more but Im happy with it now.

I noticed 0 difference in ride quality afterwards. Be careful cutting more than one. After cutting 1 coil the spring barely fit snug into the strut. Cutting anymore would leave the spring loose when the strut is decompressed

I have maxspeeds btw.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Tapio
I had the opposite problem where my back was considerably higher than the front so I simply cut the spring. Everyone is going to tell you not to but cutting springs is VERY common and done all the time with customized cars, new and old.

I cut one coil and it lowered about half an inch. I was hoping for a little more but Im happy with it now.

I noticed 0 difference in ride quality afterwards. Be careful cutting more than one. After cutting 1 coil the spring barely fit snug into the strut. Cutting anymore would leave the spring loose when the strut is decompressed

I have maxspeeds btw.
I did this on my maxspeeds when I had them and when I would jack the car up in the front the spring would not be snug with the strut. Causing me to have to guide the spring back on when I lowered the car. I wouldnt recommend cutting the maxspeeds. I dont have a clue about the H&Rs though. I would sell them on the org. They seem to be in demand. Then buy some sprints for 137 shipped. Then all is well.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:58 PM

I am a big Maxspeed fan, not an extreme drop, vastly improved performance with KYB AGX. I am extremely happy with this set up and would recommend it.

Good luck!
D
Old 03-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Try B&G springs. They are pretty soft and give about a 1.8 inch drop. Many 5-speeds with B&Gs have the rear sag but I don't have that problem. Checkout my site for pics. By the way, they run about $180 from shox.com.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by heems27
Try B&G springs. They are pretty soft and give about a 1.8 inch drop. Many 5-speeds with B&Gs have the rear sag but I don't have that problem. Checkout my site for pics. By the way, they run about $180 from shox.com.

Or you could just buy a set from me. I have a brand new set of B&Gs for sale.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:05 PM

Or you could just buy a set from me. I have a brand new set of B&Gs for sale.
You'll be better off buying from shogunmax. I had some delivery issues with shox.com.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:45 PM

Since the search is down can you give me the numbers on the Maxspeeds. People are saying B&G, but some have sag and some don't...just like H&R's so I don't think this would do me any better. If my H&R's have sag I'm guessing B&G may as well?

Originally posted by dlicari
I am a big Maxspeed fan, not an extreme drop, vastly improved performance with KYB AGX. I am extremely happy with this set up and would recommend it.

Good luck!
D