4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I fear that Transmission woes may have begun....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Jedi Knight

I fear that Transmission woes may have begun....

Today, I'm leaving my house, and I notice a noise, that I thought was something caught in the tire/wheel well area, because it had a distinct rhythm that related to the speed of the car. Upon further inspection, I realized that there was nothing there and that the noise was coming from the tranny area...center of the car, between the driver and passenger seats. I also noticed that the shifter was pulsing in sync with the damn noise. I don't know what it could be has anyone experienced anything like this before? The car seems to still drive fine, but the noise is still there, and more than anything its just ****ing me off. Please HELP!

bTW is s 97 5 speed
Old 03-29-2003, 12:06 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

can you describe the noise a little bit more indepth?

i get some sort of noise, directly after shifting gears.. clutch is out and all, but when i give it more gas.. there is this dull ticking noise that sounds like a bad cv joint..
Old 03-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
can you describe the noise a little bit more indepth?

i get some sort of noise, directly after shifting gears.. clutch is out and all, but when i give it more gas.. there is this dull ticking noise that sounds like a bad cv joint..
That is EXACTLY what I get....and the damn shifter moves with it...what the hell could it be...how long has yours been like that?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by nupe500

That is EXACTLY what I get....and the damn shifter moves with it...what the hell could it be...how long has yours been like that?
it first surfaced around 10k miles ago,
at around 120k

i've been getting it on and off...
i can usually expect it more when shifting into 2nd from cruising in neutral.. also, starting off the line slowly.. it start to tick and i get that damn vibration/movement in the shifter as well... it has become worse though, and recently (~5k miles ago) began happening in 3rd gear and even 4th ..
i haven't found the culprit though,
at 1st i suspected my clutch, which is acting up a lot, my shifter is also very, very notchy and hard to move... but i can't see how these things can be related to one another..
it's really ****ing me off..
Old 03-29-2003, 02:00 PM

tranny noise

ahhh yes, just finished fixing mine: $2000.
the 5 speed maxima has been known to have bad bearings (do a search, you'll see...)
mine was making noise for 2 years. I ignored it until more went wrong: main rear engine seal went, which messed up the clutch. I ignored that until the slave cylander went. So, all bearings for tranny, slave and master cylander, rear seal, clutch, pressure plate, bearing.. was $1995. ah what a deal. (I have 135k on car)I waited a long time......you almost couldn't talk in the car in 1st or 2nd gear it was so loud. I was worried when sometimes I heard a "bang" and the car jerked.....yeah I'd thought the tranny would split in 2 at times. The tranny shop told me good thing I didn't wait any longer as I'd start to wear the gears out......
Old 03-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: tranny noise

Originally posted by wilkink
ahhh yes, just finished fixing mine: $2000.
the 5 speed maxima has been known to have bad bearings (do a search, you'll see...)
mine was making noise for 2 years. I ignored it until more went wrong: main rear engine seal went, which messed up the clutch. I ignored that until the slave cylander went. So, all bearings for tranny, slave and master cylander, rear seal, clutch, pressure plate, bearing.. was $1995. ah what a deal. (I have 135k on car)I waited a long time......you almost couldn't talk in the car in 1st or 2nd gear it was so loud. I was worried when sometimes I heard a "bang" and the car jerked.....yeah I'd thought the tranny would split in 2 at times. The tranny shop told me good thing I didn't wait any longer as I'd start to wear the gears out......
The noise your talking about was when you let off the gas in a certain gear and let the tranny hold you back...almost like a irrefular whine kind of deal mabybe...

-matt
describe the noise
Old 03-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: tranny noise

Originally posted by matty

The noise your talking about was when you let off the gas in a certain gear and let the tranny hold you back...almost like a irrefular whine kind of deal mabybe...

-matt
describe the noise
I have identified the culprit...its something to do with the clutch. My noise goes away if the clutch is not engaged (neutral) It feel like part of the clutch is rubbing on something...I'll take it in on Monday to have someone look at it...but I'm thinking that its clutch replacement time...there goes my body kit...

oh..well...**** happens..and it always could be WORSE! so..I'm still
Old 03-29-2003, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: tranny noise

Originally posted by nupe500

I have identified the culprit...its something to do with the clutch. My noise goes away if the clutch is not engaged (neutral) It feel like part of the clutch is rubbing on something...I'll take it in on Monday to have someone look at it...but I'm thinking that its clutch replacement time...there goes my body kit...

oh..well...**** happens..and it always could be WORSE! so..I'm still
I hate to sound negative, but.... if I read your post correctly: if you push in on the clutch pedal and the noise stops, (in neutral or not) the noise returns when clutch pedal released (neutral or not) it probably in the input shaft bearings on the tranny.(a problem with 4th generation manual trannys) and if that is the case, they'll end up putting in that new clutch anyway.....good luck.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: tranny noise

Originally posted by wilkink

I hate to sound negative, but.... if I read your post correctly: if you push in on the clutch pedal and the noise stops, (in neutral or not) the noise returns when clutch pedal released (neutral or not) it probably in the input shaft bearings on the tranny.(a problem with 4th generation manual trannys) and if that is the case, they'll end up putting in that new clutch anyway.....good luck.
so you have to rip apart the tranny to replace these input shaft bearings?

my car doesn't whine or make much noise in 1st and 2nd gear yet.. just that dull ticking crap.. but other than that, it's fine.. with the exception of the squeaking and weird feel of the clutch pedal (most likely Throwout bearing) and my clutch is stiff as hell, as is my shifter...

it has gotten really hard to move the car off the line, you constantly have to keep it pressed in order to take off smoothly.. it's like something is not letting go or grabbing right away..
definately my clutch.. but ****, i hope i don't have to rip apart my tranny like that
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Jedi Knight

bump...

I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have it checked out...any more thoughts on what could be the problem? how do I know that the input shaft/TO bearing is going bad...what are symptoms..?

thanx