4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Options for improving the lighting on the 4th Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Options for improving the lighting on the 4th Gen.

Most of us know the 4th gen headlights suck because of a poor reflector design and the cheap 9004 bulb. I am considering doing something to change this, my main priority is improved lighting and reasonable cost. I have put together a list of what options I know of for improving lighting and their Pros and Cons. Of course feel free to make any additions or corrections.

Custom Maxima Projectors
Pros – Only 1 more month, cool projector looks.
Cons – It was only 1 more month 6 months ago, if they are like some aftermarket lights lighting could be worse than stock.

Better/higher wattage bulbs(Sylvania Xtravision 9004 only $15)
Pros – Cheap
Cons – Very little improvement, possible to melt wiring harness with over wattage bulbs.

HID kit
Pros – HID color, HID light output, plug and play.
Cons – No high beams (unless you get a very expensive kit), still poor beam pattern because of bad reflector design, could be blinding to other drivers (because of bad reflector).

Cifero lights
Pros – Cool one piece looks, improved lighting with better reflector and H4 bulb.
Cons – Not a perfect fit, permanent modification to car required, strange beam pattern because they are off left hand drive vehicle.

Custom Projectors illusion lighting
Pros – Cool projector looks, not many have them, could be relatively cheap if you do it yourself related thread.
Cons – Expensive and/or lots of work, could be difficult to fit high and low beam units, You have to risk damaging your headlights or buy a new set.

Factory HIDs with housing Thread
Pros - HID color, HID light output, A housing made to work with HIDs, High beams
Cons - Nobody can get them , cost??
Old 03-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sylvania Xtravision 9004 Halogen replacement bulbs at your local Wallmart or Auto parts stores.

They are the best bulb out there for the 9004 design.

No color to them, no blue, no purple, no super rice white, just nice bright Halogen light on the road, where you need it. Nice big wide beam pattern you can clearly see over other cars headlights.

But wait, there's more!!! You get all that light for only 15 bucks.

But wait there's more, you wount get pulled over for improper lighting either.

How can you beat that.......

Old 03-31-2003, 01:23 PM

Sylvania Xtravision 9004

Know what I really love...

When people use lots of line breaks for dramatic effect

J/K Do you think these make a noticable difference in light output? Is it worth replacing the bulbs I have now even though they are still good?
Old 03-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Sylvania Xtravision 9004

Originally posted by Anachronism
Do you think these make a noticable difference in light output? Is it worth replacing the bulbs I have now even though they are still good?
I've tried a lot of bulbs over the years, even an HID system. Great light, but annoying to oncomming drivers. Also makes you a target for the

I put a set of Xtravision in and was amazed at the light. Like I said, they are in no way an HID look alike or even close. But others will agree with me here, they throw some awsome light on the road with a big wide beam pattern. I can honestly say they are the best standard Halogen 9004 bulb I've ever put in my car.

EDIT: Sylvania also makes a bulb called Cool Blue. Same great beam pattern, but the light is a bit more clean or white looking. Note quite as bright as the Xtravisions due to the slight blue coating, but still a nice bulb for the money.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:24 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

can u get these sylvanias in stock wattage? and is that worth it?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:28 PM

Does anyone know if thos Sylvania bulbs are any better in the light output and the way they look, than the Nokya bulbs you can get at the Nissan dealership??
Old 03-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maxima 504
Does anyone know if thos Sylvania bulbs are any better in the light output and the way they look, than the Nokya bulbs you can get at the Nissan dealership??
nokya bulbs are great for looks, but you won't see crap with them in the rain
Old 03-31-2003, 02:57 PM

yeah i like the look of them, but i really cant see as much light on the road as i would like to. i might have to pick up on those Sylvania bulbs.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:35 PM

I know I talked about doing the projector project but kind of holding back as I might get a new car. But I still think the hella 90mm projectors are the way to go, lighting almost as good as OEM HID but with a halogen bulb. There's a pic of the hella projectors with 6000K HID and man were they purple, like BMW purple.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:11 PM

How about the fog lights? Which bulbs would go in them to provide the best lighting?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by seven
I know I talked about doing the projector project but kind of holding back as I might get a new car. But I still think the hella 90mm projectors are the way to go, lighting almost as good as OEM HID but with a halogen bulb. There's a pic of the hella projectors with 6000K HID and man were they purple, like BMW purple.
The 90mm projectors would definatly be a great increase in light output for a reasonanble cost (~$150). But it is still going to take quite a bit of time and work to get them to fit. And if you buy a new set of lights to do this with the cost more than doubles. Trying to add high beams would also significantly increase the difficulty and cost of this project.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:37 PM

this might be a long shot, but what about maximas over in europe?? I know at least in the case of hondas, the body is pretty much all the same including the headlamps. However, the beam pattern is much better. Maybe we could snag some lamps from over there, or at least get part numbers
Old 03-31-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by s2cmpugh
this might be a long shot, but what about maximas over in europe?? I know at least in the case of hondas, the body is pretty much all the same including the headlamps. However, the beam pattern is much better. Maybe we could snag some lamps from over there, or at least get part numbers
The 4th gen contined production in the ME with factory HIDs . Presumably the housing had a better design to work with HIDs but I was unable to find a source to get them I will add it to my list though.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=164621
Old 03-31-2003, 05:10 PM

ok, if someone can get us a part #, then i think we could get them. maybe some of our friends over sees who are proudly serving our country can help
Old 03-31-2003, 05:50 PM

i have phillip bluevisions and they light up the road pretty well. Better than my previous cheap blue ebay bulbs. only 12 bux per bulb at kmart. I dont think any bulb will let you clear up the road in the rain. The light is getting scattered because of the wet road. I turn on the high beams still no improvement just blinding incoming drivers hehee